• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I tried to remove a Truglo sight screw on a Glock, with no luck, and it seems to be stripped. Does anyone know of a machine shop (or some other way) to remove the screw without damaging the slide? Thanks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Too late now, but did you try a little heat to the screw before stripping it?

MAP torch and needle-nose pliers?

If you don't care about the sight, vise up the slide(inside facing up) and try to snap the screw head off with a 1/4" chisel?

FakeID

Aug 5, 2022
    AACo Maryland
    is the screw head exposed enough that you could use a dremel to cut a new slot in to remove it with a flat head screw driver? a little flash of heat from a torch wont hurt either.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Both good ideas. Alas, it is recessed set screw. I’m probably going to have to sacrifice the sight.

FakeID

Aug 5, 2022
    AACo Maryland
    how badly deformed is the screw head? if its an allen set screw you may be able to bang an old oversized allen in and get it the screw to turn out.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Is this the little knurled point set screw in the rear sight that holds it in place or the front sight retention screw?
    It is a small set screw
    The trick is to ask questions before the work commences.

Some quality pictures would help guide the repair advice.
    No trick involved. I have done many of these sights, with nary a problem and no reason to have anticipated one.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Is this the little knurled point set screw in the rear sight that holds it in place or the front sight retention screw?
    I think I mentioned in my original post that it is for a Truglo sight. It is the rear sight, and the recessed set screw is the issue. I tried heat, no joy. Does anyone know of a machine shop in Rockville or Silver Spring that might be able to drill it out? I'd rather not damage the slide.

FakeID

Aug 5, 2022
    AACo Maryland
    have u tried the old rubber band trick or to jb weld the allen key to the screw head? The set screws are hardened so it will be a pain to remove with a drill. also probably need left handed bits. Ask me how i know these things. lol good luck

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I think I mentioned in my original post that it is for a Truglo sight. It is the rear sight, and the recessed set screw is the issue. I tried heat, no joy. Does anyone know of a machine shop in Rockville or Silver Spring that might be able to drill it out? I'd rather not damage the slide.
    Since it is the rear, you will need.to be very careful with a drill. You are probably going to trash the sight. The ones I've done for guys i know have not.been truglo but I assume that truglo uses the same tiny #4-48 or #6-42 fine thread knurled point set screws.

A very hard left handed bit is your best bet.

Since you are in MoCo, I'd suggest starting with engage armament.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    Slightly bigger torx bit. Force it into the set screw's opening (hole) and slowly turn lefty loosey. Worked for me in the past.
    You can also use a "damaged screw extractor" if you have access to a set that is small enough to work.

1713814248940.png

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I should have been clearer...if you have a rear sight pusher tool...the sight will push off with the screw in place. I guarenttee it.
    ..and if you dont have that....carefully knock it out with a wooden dowel.a nd a hammer....placing the slide carefully in a matted vice jaws is helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom