• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    So I'm in a pawn shop and I see a 6" barreled Model 29 and a 3" barreled Model 24 being sold side by side. Both guns are being sold for more than I'm willing to pay and the seller wants $150 extra for the Model 24 for whatever reason. Oddly enough, however, it's the Model 24 that caught my eye - and not because it's the pricier gun - but because it's just a really handsome revolver.

All that gets me thinking: why would I buy a Model 24 when I can buy a Model 29?

Forgive me if I ruffled any feathers. I'm just a .44 newbie playing devil's advocate.

Punch_master

Dec 27, 2010
    Frederick
    So I'm in a pawn shop and I see a 6" barreled Model 29 and a 3" barreled Model 24 being sold side by side. Both guns are being sold for more than I'm willing to pay and the seller wants $150 extra for the Model 24 for whatever reason. Oddly enough, however, it's the Model 24 that caught my eye - and not because it's the pricier gun - but because it's just a really handsome revolver.

All that gets me thinking: why would I buy a Model 24 when I can buy a Model 29?

Forgive me if I ruffled any feathers. I'm just a .44 newbie playing devil's advocate.
    not being a expert myself but my guess would be that the model 24 is chambered in .44 S&W special and the model 29 is a full blown .44 magnum. Model 29s would be way more numerous than model 24s thus would be my guess for the reason of the price difference. Just a guess on my part.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Configuration has a bit to do with that also. If it is a 3" 44 Special and has the round K frame size grip frame, it may be a Lew Horton Special. Pricier than a standard M29 with a 6" barrel.
    What pawn shop are these guns in?

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Configuration has a bit to do with that also. If it is a 3" 44 Special and has the round K frame size grip frame, it may be a Lew Horton Special. Pricier than a standard M29 with a 6" barrel.
    What pawn shop are these guns in?

A&D if I remember correctly. If you're in the market, you're welcome to these guns as I can't get myself a new toy until the new year.

Beyond configuration, scarcity, and age, I was wondering if there is a practical advantage to getting a .44 special over a .44 magnum? I'd assume from my own experience with my .357 that a .44 mag revolver is going to get a little dirtier when I shoot .44 specials, but that seems like a minor advantage.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    6962.jpg

Is this a 696, or is it just another L-Frame with adjustable sights and a full underlug?

Either way, I like it better than 24 or 29.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Other than simply the rarity , the M24 ( and M624 ) have the traditional tapered bbl vs the heavier profile ( copied from M1955 ) bbls. In normal bbl lengths they have a different feel and balance. I , along with many others , prefer the M24 balance.

However in this specific instance , I have found a 3in N frame to be a strange beast , wierd balance and vel loss, while neither being meaningfully more concealable.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have both 44 Special and 44 Magnum guns. If I were confrpnted with having to choose one it would be the Magnum. The only advantage the 44 Special has over the Magnum is it is lighter to carry. Shootability, ammo availability and interchange ability, little more weight to lend control in rapid fire,,,sellable to a broader audience goes to the Magnum.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    Any gun qualifies as C&R when it is 50 years old (excluding assault firearms). The first 44 Magnums or pre- models came out in 1955. The early pistols did not have an M- designation, and just had 44 Magnum on the right side of the barrel.

You can shoot 44 Special from a 44 Magnum, but you can't shoot a 44 Magnum from a 44 Special.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Any gun qualifies as C&R when it is 50 years old (excluding assault firearms). The first 44 Magnums or pre- models came out in 1955. The early pistols did not have an M- designation, and just had 44 Magnum on the right side of the barrel.

You can shoot 44 Special from a 44 Magnum, but you can't shoot a 44 Magnum from a 44 Special.

HUH? There are C&R machine guns.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    What is the dash number on each gun?
    Without that there is no way of knowing what it is or what it's worth.
    A 29-2 will always bring a premium over a 29-3 all other things being equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom