• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    I just got my SR9 2 weeks ago and have had some light primmer strike issues with it tried cleaning it good deferent ammo and just shooting it allot and unfortunately no go she still hits light every now and then but will always fire the unfired round once re-chambered very odd. Talked to Ruger this morning they are emailing me a UPS label and off it will go :sad20:. I bought this to be my primary CC pistol and this sucks because even if they fix it I will not trust it until I throw allot of lead down range with no problems. I was going to get a revolver but wanted the more rounds but 17 rnds ain't $h!t if they don't go bang every time :sad20:. I still love the pistol and don't regret getting it yet and I am sure Ruger will get it taken care of I hope.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The "Great Gun Buying Spree of '08 & '09" caused more lemons to find their way out at several makers, Ruger included. A work associate had to send his Ruger semi auto back for extractor work and I know of at least one revolver going back as well.

Hope your gun comes back fixed.

BTW, in the "old days", you never trusted a defensive pistol until you have fired 500 rounds of ball and at least 200 rounds of carry ammo with ZERO malfunctions.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Definitely a lemon and I would like to believe that Ruger WILL make it right. I have around 8,000 rounds through my SR9 without a single issue. Keep us posted on everything.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I had a lot of gunk and shavings in the striker channel, one of the causes of a bad trigger pull (gritty). It would also cause light strikes as well, may the the cause of yours.

BTW, do you have a lot of rattle with the full the mag in the gun?

Good luck, and keep us posted.

MH

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    speed-six you don't need 17 when you have 6 magnum ones. tested and they blow through the windshield,front seat,and into the back.and if you miss you scare the hel# out of them.

but yea Ruger will make it right and the gun will hold up.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    MDHunter is onto something there.

Also over oiling is a big issue with striker fired pistols. The oil gets into the striker channel and slows the striker velocity down. I don't know if it's an issue on the SR9's, but I've seen it on Glocks and XD's a lot

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    I had a lot of gunk and shavings in the striker channel, one of the causes of a bad trigger pull (gritty). It would also cause light strikes as well, may the the cause of yours.

BTW, do you have a lot of rattle with the full the mag in the gun?

Good luck, and keep us posted.

MH

I don't think it rattles but will check when I get it back

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I don't think it rattles but will check when I get it back

Thanks. Mine has a loud rattle from the mag slop while in the gun. When the mag is full, the weight causes the rattle to be the loudest. Holding the gunupright, rotate your wrist back and forth. I haven't seen this problem posted anywhere on the net, but I have seen it in other SR9s in gun shops. Might not be as bad as it sounds to me, but I'd like to hear what you think of yours when you get it back.

MH

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Im sure Ruger will make it right, but just in case.

Glock-19%5B1%5D.jpg

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Ive had an SR9 for a few years now.
    The gun has never failed me or had a misfuction after it's first 50 rounds.
    Had a failure to eject on the second clip thru the new gun. nothing since.
    Have no doupt you'll be very happy with it once the factory sends it back.
    They really are a fine oiece:)

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    No matter what your primary CC weapon should have 200-300 rounds pushed through it. And most of that should be your primary ammo, not just fmj's. This is the one you're betting your life on. If I didn't have the Colt I'd have gone with a Glock for that exact reason.

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    I was looking at the Glocks of course and many others but went with the Ruger and I am sure in the long run I will be happy with it. Called Ruger yesterday and they said call back beginning of next week have not even looked at it yet. It has been a week and they said there service department is at 3 week turn around on service right now.

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    My Ruger has come home oh how I have missed the let me count the ways :D. Ruger replaced the striker assembly and cover so now I just need to test her out. Will have to get to the Grove this weekend and send some down range.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    BTW, in the "old days", you never trusted a defensive pistol until you have fired 500 rounds of ball and at least 200 rounds of carry ammo with ZERO malfunctions.

This hasn't changed for me...

If any weapon I own has a malfunction that wasn't operator error and easily cleared, it's in the pile of "stuff to work on" or "range toys" until it proves itself with several hundred more rounds of various types of ammo.

Good thing I'm on the cusp of being a real-deal gunsmith... at least I can fix it myself. ;)

I have a Taurus that gave me some issues. Hell if I'm going to send it back... Their customer service is laughable.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Does yours have the magazine rattle that I brought up earlier? I have discovered that on mine, it is from a full mag, with one in the chamber that I get the rattle. If I just put the full mag, it's not too bad until I chamber a round. I'm curious what yours does.

MH

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Does yours have the magazine rattle that I brought up earlier? I have discovered that on mine, it is from a full mag, with one in the chamber that I get the rattle. If I just put the full mag, it's not too bad until I chamber a round. I'm curious what yours does.

MH

My CZ-75 magazines rattle when there's either an odd or even number (can't remember off the top of my head) of rounds in the magazine, after being inserted in the pistol.

It is tied with my Beretta 92FS and Steyr M40-A1 for the most reliable handguns I own. I can only remember 2 malfunctions with each pistol, and all were ammo related or user error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom