• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    All,

I've seen that a lot of folks on this forum advocate using lubricants such as synthetic motor oil on their firearms under the auspices of saving $. I'll use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil as an example since I've seen it mentioned frequently. What I haven't seen mentioned is the potential health risks that you may be exposing yourself to by going this route. The following are exerpts from the the Mobil 1 Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Extended Performance 10W30:

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
    Excessive exposure may result in eye, skin, or respiratory irritation. High-pressure injection under skin may cause serious damage.

NFPA Hazard ID: Health: 0 Flammability: 1 Reactivity: 0
    HMIS Hazard ID: Health: 0 Flammability: 1 Reactivity: 0

NOTE: This material should not be used for any other purpose than the intended use in Section 1 without expert advice. Health studies have shown that chemical exposure may cause potential human health risks which may vary from person to person.

INHALATION
    Remove from further exposure. For those providing assistance, avoid exposure to yourself or others. Use adequate respiratory protection. If respiratory irritation, dizziness, nausea, or unconsciousness occurs, seek immediate medical assistance. If breathing has stopped, assist ventilation with a mechanical device or use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

SKIN CONTACT
    Wash contact areas with soap and water. If product is injected into or under the skin, or into any part of the body, regardless of the appearance of the wound or its size, the individual should be evaluated immediately by a physician as a surgical emergency. Even though initial symptoms from high pressure injection may be minimal or absent, early surgical treatment within the first few hours may significantly reduce the ultimate extent of injury.

EYE CONTACT
    Flush thoroughly with water. If irritation occurs, get medical assistance.

INGESTION
    First aid is normally not required. Seek medical attention if discomfort occurs.

FLAMMABILITY PROPERTIES
    Flash Point [Method]: >200°C (392°F) [ASTM D-92]
    Flammable Limits (Approximate volume % in air): LEL: 0.9 UEL: 7.0
    Autoignition Temperature: N/D

Exposure limits/standards for materials that can be formed when handling this product: When mists/aerosols can occur the following are recommended: 5 mg/m³ - ACGIH TLV (inhalable fraction), 5 mg/m³ - OSHA PEL.

OSHA HAZARD COMMUNICATION STANDARD: When used for its intended purposes, this material is not classified as hazardous in accordance with OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1200

The last statement is key. I just thought I'd put it out there for consideration since I know a lot of folks are using it on AR type rifles. If you are doing this, you are breathing the stuff. If you are using it with a suppressed platform, you are breathing more of it and probably getting some on your skin. Will it hurt you? I don't know, but it definitely isn't the intended purpose.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Great info Kevp!

I would be interested in seeing the same data for commercially available firearms lube.

The key data point is how Syn. Motor Oil compares to other lubes. For all we know, it could be on par with others... Or better/worse.

Either way, thanks for the info.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Great info Kevp!

I would be interested in seeing the same data for commercially available firearms lube.

The key data point is how Syn. Motor Oil compares to other lubes. For all we know, it could be on par with others... Or better/worse.

Either way, thanks for the info.

I'm with you on this. Here is a link to the U.S. Army health assessment of SLIP lubricant from the 2004 Lubricant Assessment (it passed):

http://www.slip2000.com/downloads/AberdeenTest.pdf

I use SLIP products so it is the only one I searched.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Looking at the data you posted.

NFPA and HMIS Health hazard ZERO, is in 0.

Read the MSDS for ANY petroleumproduct and will see the same warnings.

Don't get itin your eyes, don't eat it, don't inject it under your skin, don't bath in it, etc.

Realise that these days, most of the info on an MSDS sheet is based on what the legal department wants, NOT what the health and safety people want.

For even more fun, look up the MSDS on common household products.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    yeah i wouldn't put too much into MSDS. it's a conglomerate of what lawyers say reduces liability for a company in case someone is retarded enough to drink motor oil.

(there's a lot of arfcom members, and even a few here, whom i think fall into that category, but that's for a different discussion off-site :lol2: )

wear eye pro when shooting, and don't drink the stuff or use it as cologne. you'll be fine.

who among us hasn't spilled oil on their hand(s) while changing oil in their car? any parts fall off as a result? ;)

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Looking at the data you posted.

NFPA and HMIS Health hazard ZERO, is in 0.

Read the MSDS for ANY petroleumproduct and will see the same warnings.

Don't get itin your eyes, don't eat it, don't inject it under your skin, don't bath in it, etc.

Realise that these days, most of the info on an MSDS sheet is based on what the legal department wants, NOT what the health and safety people want.

For even more fun, look up the MSDS on common household products.

Pinecone,

That is based on it being used for its intended purpose....in a vehicle engine, not in a gas operating system of an AR where it is being aerasolized and blown back in your face. I shoot a lot of suppressed AR in both 5.56 and .22 dedicated upper. My safety glasses are always spotted with lube. I put this out for consideration, not to start a debate. BTW- I've been through more OSHA training than I care to remember, so I'm well aware of what is in a MSDS.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Im FAR more concerned about breathing the (relatively huge) quantity of burnt powder residue vs the tiny amount of burned/vaporized oil. The ratio is at least 1000:1.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I don't see how any of the lubes people use can be safe for inhalation, skin contact or ingestion. All have warnings. Unless you are using pure mineral oil as lubricant. Even that probably has lasting impacts on health.

You can't possibly tell me the minty fresh scent of Froglube is good for you. "Hey honey...check out how good this gun lube smells". Admit it...you have done it.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Good post but I do wonder what the actual risk is considering you are also inhaling atomized lead particles, bullet lube, and of course powder residue. At least one of those is a known carcinogen.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Good info Kev, always a good idea to see what might happen to material when used for an application it wasn't designed for. A good example is the old chlorinated brake cleaner, when the liquid is burned it produces deadly Phosgene gas, killed a few people that used it to clean metal just before welding. The main problem IMO is that motor oil has additives to make it semi-hydroscopic. In an engine, the oil cycles to 200+ degrees giving moisture trapped in the oil a chance to evaporate out, it traps moisture to keep it contained temporarily and prevent internal corrosion. Without that high temp cycling, moisture can build enough to cause corrosion under the oil film, and breakdown of the oil itself where constant sweat and moisture are prevalent. Material science is big business, lubes are designed with certain attributes to fit a specific application, and plenty are better suited to firearms where long term temp/viscocity stability, shear breakdown, moisture displacement and adhesion are more important.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Get a wiff of Ballistol. See how you feel after that.
    That stuff makes me cough alot when I use it.
    Never coughed like that changing the oil in a car.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Irrelevant, but MSDS is now being converted over to the "Global Harmonized System"

OP you now have 5 days (must be done by 12/1/13) to amend your post to reference, Safety Data Sheets (SDS), not MSDS , and to train the members of the forum in appropriate 16 part SDS's and their symbols, and the GHS standards of Hazardous Communication per OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1200(j)1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom