• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    taurus for a ruger, I fail to see why one would be sad about this.

would have preferred the .357 for versatility myself, but since it would be loaded with .38 most of the time anyways, this was in NO way a bad choice.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Meanwhile, you young whippersnappers wouldn't remember, but Back in The Day, the question of defensive loads for lightweight snubnose .38s was constantly being discussed (as well as the best techniques for plaiting buggy whips).

I see the Old Farts over at the CMP Forum are still discussing the matter, and I thought this post might be helpful:

The problem is when you are carrying a light gun, and you still want to push out a lot power. I have a Ruger LCR, and I tried +P stuff in it. Not only did it kick like heck, but I had problems with a rapid follow up shot because of the way my grip was after the first shot (I have a slight finger abnormality, so my grip is just a hair different than most). My concern is if I was having this problem under a controlled situation, then what about in the heat of the moment. I still ended up going with the Hornady defense stuff, but I stayed away from the +P. Those that argue penetration, my opinion of a snub nose revolver is it is an up close and personal type of defense, so I do not need something "super" powerful. My duty pistol was a different situation, but also a full sized firearm.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=174044

The "Hornady defense stuff" he mentions is the Critical Defense, which sounds like a good choice to me.

By the way, one or two Speed Strips might carry nicely alongside the Snubby.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Meanwhile, you young whippersnappers wouldn't remember, but Back in The Day, the question of defensive loads for lightweight snubnose .38s was constantly being discussed (as well as the best techniques for plaiting buggy whips).

I see the Old Farts over at the CMP Forum are still discussing the matter, ans I thought this post might be helpful:

The "Hornady defense stuff" he mentions is the Critical Defense, which sounds like a good choice to me.

I'm not the biggest fan of the +P. If I wanted a more powerful .38, I would have gone with a .357 Magnum. I'm okay with plain old .38 Special.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    taurus for a ruger, I fail to see why one would be sad about this.

would have preferred the .357 for versatility myself, but since it would be loaded with .38 most of the time anyways, this was in NO way a bad choice.

I agree. The LCR 38 Special is also gun that I would love to get at some point. Nice trigger pull and pretty lightweight. It's probably slightly snappy with 38 +P rounds, but carry guns make compromises, with a smaller frame and lighter weight being desirable over recoil mitigation.

As per a large animal carry gun if hiking in the woods of NC, a 1911 is probably plenty of gun. Not like one is going to run into any grizzlies.

A short barrel 38 special and 1911, from a practical perspective, cover a lot of territory. Maybe save for a 9mm as well and one can find options with great mag capacity and of course less expensive ammo.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Seems like an equitable and practical swap. I have a S&W 642 and have to believe if I could carry that it would be my go to, even over my new Bodyguard.380(more concealable). I just wish CT lasers weren't do darn expensive. I had a J frame .357 and I can tell you it is not fun to shoot.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    That LCR is a way better choice for CCW; surprised you lasted this long carrying that 44. I love the 44 (not Taurus though), but a CCW it ain't.

And whoever thinks the 38+p is rough, I don't care if you mean even in a derringer, turn in your mancard at the door! NOW! :)

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    That LCR is a way better choice for CCW; surprised you lasted this long carrying that 44. I love the 44 (not Taurus though), but a CCW it ain't.

And whoever thinks the 38+p is rough, I don't care if you mean even in a derringer, turn in your mancard at the door! NOW! :)

I'll revisit .44 sometime in the future. I like the caliber a hell of a lot. The Taurus was a whim. Luckily it was not an expensive one.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have a Taurus 44 mag and it shoots just as good as my 629. Half the price too.
    Everyone should own a 44mag revolver at least once in their lives.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I have a Taurus 44 mag and it shoots just as good as my 629. Half the price too.
    Everyone should own a 44mag revolver at least once in their lives.

I shot a 357 a few months ago and it hurt the hell out of my hand.
    44? :ohnoes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom