• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    About 2 years ago I saw that J&G in AZ was selling Saigas of all flavors for about $300 a pop. I decided to spring for a 7.62X39, with the eye on doing the conversion to an AK format. After the transfer from my local FFL (8 days, ah, memories), I started learning in earnest about what it would take. The instructions started to use terms like "drilling", "tapping", "threading", and all kinds of crazy language that I did not associate with any of my zen and my art of firearm maintenance. I relegated the Saiga to the back of the safe, and never shot it. I even in a moment of weakness considered selling it. Mark from 2A sales talked me out of it, saying I wouldn't get much more than what I paid for it without it being converted.

Fast forward to a week ago. Having become more comfortable with the idea of completely wrecking a firearm and not giving a damn about it, and being quite bored, I ordered a conversion kit from Carolina Shooters' Supply. BTW, excellent service and super fast shipping. I ordered the folding stock and grip kit, the bullet guide kit, and a slant muzzle break. While waiting for my stuff to arrive, I read a bit more about the process, and found that some lucky duckies had found that their muzzles were factory-threaded, and that the ugly shroud was just covering that feature. I started looking at mine, and indeed it looked like it was threaded! After 2 days of spinning around a copper pipe cutter to cut the steel shroud (don't ask), I popped off the shroud and yes! it was fully threaded.

My kit arrived yesterday, and I did a bit of work last night, but took to it this morning in full swing. I won't lie, it is a motherstretcher to get this to work. I did not use a drill press but only my trusty Ryobi cordless drill and my Dremel, the inseparable companion of any good Bubba. YouTube and the instructions that came with the kit came through for me. I installed the grip/stock/trigger/hammer replacement, the bullet guide in the trunnion, and the slant muzzle break. I used a Rustoleum engine block paint for the bake steel areas, and finished it with a 0000 steel wool to take the gloss off. Here are the results (pics are a bit crappy):

016s.jpg

017s-1.jpg

I'm now going to shop out of state for some standard AK mags, but I tweaked the stock Saiga mag to work (Dremel to the rescue). I hope to get to shoot it tomorrow!

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Nice! This is my Saiga conversion. I too got the 7.62 for $299 during the sale. I was going to go with the clamp-on handguard retainer and save some work but decided to take my time. I cut off the Saiga FSB and gas block so I could install a proper handguard retainer. I then added a 74 style FSB and gas block.

Attachments

• 902429_10151425485213124_1642518082_o.jpg
      902429_10151425485213124_1642518082_o.jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 160

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom