• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    There is already a federal 11% tax on ammo and firearms accessories that goes directly to national natural resources preservation.

What makes you think an additional 9% at the state level would be ruled Unconstitutional?
    This;

Taxes specifically targeted to burden inalienable rights such as poll taxes or newspaper printing ink have been found unconstitutional in SCOTUS opinions. Therefore taxes on "The right to keep and bear arms." are likely to also be found unconstitutional.

"The Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act (also known as the Pittman-Robertson Act (PR)) became law in 1937" This is an excise tax at the wholesale level that was requested by the firearms and ammunition industry specifically targeted to wildlife preservation so it has not been challenged as far as I know.
    Link to NSSF PDF:
    If it has been challenged and upheld that may be something.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am waiting on ammo, only because I just moved and moving is a good way to make you literally take inventory of what you own and let it sink in just how much that really is.

I did buy a GP100 and if this passes, there are a few others I want to try to acquire between now and next summer.

I am doing that thing I hate people do, but anyone who has read the bill, is this on just the sales of guns and ammo? Or is this on gross receipts of an FFL no matter what they sell? I am just thinking the Walmart issue there.

Lastly, is this a supplemental tax? Or is this in addition to sales tax? Just wondering if at the end of the day, this is 5% hit, or is a full 11% hit on top of the 6% we already have to pay (and ignoring the 11% of the R-P taxes).
    They are being very tricky, and that it is marked as a gross receipts tax on sellers of firearms and ammunition. Potentially it could be on the entire gross receipts of the business not just the part related to firearms and ammunition.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    FYI: the bill covers "firearms" and "ammunition" and specific "firearm accessories" . . .

The bill that crossed over is here.

I'm not a tax guy, but the revised bill seems to just substitute a new sales tax for the covered items, and may not be stacking a tax on top of tax (but Elfreth's recent comment to WYPR equating this tax to vehicle registration fees may show her true intent for the law).

"Firearm accessories" are defined as basically another list of 'evil things':

Magazine or "magazine loader";
    Firearm scope or optic;
    "a stock";
    "a grip";
    "a handguard";
    "body armor".

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    There is already a federal 11% tax on ammo and firearms accessories that goes directly to national natural resources preservation.

What makes you think an additional 9% at the state level would be ruled Unconstitutional?
    Just because it's never been challenged doesn't mean it's constitutional

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I am doing that thing I hate people do, but anyone who has read the bill, is this on just the sales of guns and ammo?
    Firearms, accessories, ammunition.

“FIREARM ACCESSORY” MEANS:
    (1) A MAGAZINE OR MAGAZINE LOADER;
    (2) A FIREARM SCOPE OR OPTIC;
    (3) A STOCK;
    (4) A GRIP; (5)
    A HANDGUARD; OR
    (6) BODY ARMOR.
    Or is this on gross receipts of an FFL no matter what they sell?
    SALES AND USE TAX COLLECTED ON THE SALE OF A FIREARM, FIREARM ACCESSORY, AND AMMUNITION
    Lastly, is this a supplemental tax?
    (A) AFTER MAKING THE DISTRIBUTIONS REQUIRED UNDER §§ 2–1301 THROUGH 2–1302.2 OF THIS SUBTITLE, OF THE SALES AND USE TAX COLLECTED ON THE SALE OF A FIREARM, FIREARM ACCESSORY, AND AMMUNITION UNDER § 11–104(L) OF THIS ARTICLE, THE COMPTROLLER SHALL DISTRIBUTE THE REVENUE ATTRIBUTABLE TO A SALES AND USE TAX RATE IN EXCESS OF 6% AS FOLLOWS:

(L) THE SALES AND USE TAX RATE FOR A FIREARM, A FIREARM ACCESSORY, AND AMMUNITION IS 11%.
    SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take effect July 1, 2025.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Why stop at a mere 11%?

I can easily see these turds bumping a 100% surcharge on anything they wish, as ;ong as they can convince the 66% that it will make them safer from the law-abiding, and not infringe on the right of the Protected Classes to go Full Thug.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Why stop at a mere 11%?

I can easily see these turds bumping a 100% surcharge on anything they wish, as ;ong as they can convince the 66% that it will make them safer from the law-abiding, and not infringe on the right of the Protected Classes to go Full Thug.

They won't. There was an bill introduced in the House at the Federal level to put a 1000% tax on assault rifles a few years back:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    They won't. There was an bill introduced in the House at the Federal level to put a 1000% tax on assault rifles a few years back:

That was federal; noting that 29 states are constitutional carry, that won't float nationally.

But we're in MD, where 66% of the voters are cool with any insane garbage passed by their GA.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    That was federal; noting that 29 states are constitutional carry, that won't float nationally.

But we're in MD, where 66% of the voters are cool with any insane garbage passed by their GA.

Correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom