SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Would it just be better at this point for the worst version of the bill to pass? For our court case I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A dialed back version means less to fight them over. Also little chance this gets resolved before enforcement begins. Courts as so. So not in my eyes

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    At the end of session last night, it was incredibly clear that none of the Senators understood the bill at all. But the ideology was clear: they need to pass something.

I love the idea of "EBMD" - but my concern would be that you could be carrying in a Home Depot, and some random red-shirt could call the cops on you and you get 90 days.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    At the end of session last night, it was incredibly clear that none of the Senators understood the bill at all. But the ideology was clear: they need to pass something.

I love the idea of "EBMD" - but my concern would be that you could be carrying in a Home Depot, and some random red-shirt could call the cops on you and you get 90 days.
    a brave man dies but one death

a coward dies a thousand

No offense intended

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    The House Judiciary Committee did not yet vote on SB-1, and it looks like they have adjourned to attend a full house session that was supposed to start at 1:30 PM today. I believe the House Judiciary Committee will reconvene after that general session but I'm not sure at what time they will reconvene. I believe they will vote on SB-1 when they reconvene.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD

"We have to pass it to know what's in it."

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    "We have to pass it to know what's in it."
    This is worse than the ACA. The people who wrote this and sponsor it know what it does.

"We know there are valid complaints against it, that it will be used to hurt lawful people, and that Maryland has never had problems with its permitted carriers. But our irrational feelings are more important than those realities. It also helps that we will get more of that out-of-state billionaire money because of our virtue signaling."

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    The House Judiciary Committee did not yet vote on SB-1, and it looks like they have adjourned to attend a full house session that was supposed to start at 1:30 PM today. I believe the House Judiciary Committee will reconvene after that general session but I'm not sure at what time they will reconvene. I believe they will vote on SB-1 when they reconvene.
    The full House session is now concluding. The House Judiciary Committee vice-chair said a few minutes ago that the Judiciary Committee will meet immediately after the general session to discuss bills, and that a voting session is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I believe this means that the Judiciary Committee may not vote on SB-1 today. I'm not sure if they can pull a fast one and change this evening's Judiciary Committee meeting to a voting session or not, though. Just passing along what Delegate Moon said.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    At the end Conaway said that permit holders expect to be able to carry as it was when they got their permit and if it pertained to him he would think this was a sham.

Now let's see how he votes.

Conaways last comment was great. But I don't understand how he can feel that way and still vote the way he has.

Maybe the Patriot Pickets have gotten through to Delegate Conaway who closed the session calling the bill a sham!

True story: I arrived early at our Man Up Monday location this week and was sign picketing there at the Patriot Funnel of Freedom by about 5 PM.

I was holding this “WE’LL KEEP OUR 2A RIGHTS YOU KEEP YOUR WRONGS” sign depicted below when the House of Delegates adjourned about an hour later:

BCBC547B-3E97-4D1F-902E-862968B3B72C.jpeg

The delegates streamed out of the Statehouse and they all passed my location, including Del. Conaway, who is distinctive for his use of a walker and his slow progress through Liars Mall.

When Conaway spied my sign he pulled up short to read it and I watched his face as he visibly but silently mouthed out every word.

He appeared to pause to absorb the meaning, then nodded to me and continued on past me with an exchange of polite greetings between us.

Last edited:

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    He's always been permitted to bloviate in committee hearings, but, like others in the D Caucus, he'll vote how he is told to vote by leadership.

This is also our experience with him.

Del. Conaway will ask some penetrating questions and make surprising comments in hearings and voting sessions, but I think Mike has it right here as to his voting record.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Two legislators I know well personally also individually stopped to speak with me alone Monday after nearly all of the other legislators had passed - - two conversations, several minutes apart, neither saw the other speaking to me - - yet both made nearly the exact same comment to me:

”It is always crazy up here, but we’ve never seen anything like the craziness we have seen this year. The craziness has been over the top.”

Both were sincere, and registered genuine concern, even fear, for the future, which is saying something given each had many years of legislative service in the Capitol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom