• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maddogthegreatest

Nov 19, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I purchased a pre-ban (94) ar15 with 2 scary features while I lived at Texas back in 93 to 96. (full length AR15 with Flash Hider)...

It was almost 20 years ago, and I do not have anything to show now...

-No receipt... nothing.. Cannot even remember gun store name now...

Maybe I can track down couple of old friends who went to a range with me back then thats all...

I know I do need to register this but If I replace the Flash Hider with a Muzzle Brake (ie Yankee Hill Machine Phantom) do I still have need to register this before Nov???

I purchased a pre-ban (94) ar15 with 2 scary features while I lived at Texas back in 93 to 96. (full length AR15 with Flash Hider)...

It was almost 20 years ago, and I do not have anything to show now...

-No receipt... nothing.. Cannot even remember gun store name now...

Maybe I can track down couple of old friends who went to a range with me back then thats all...

I know I do need to register this but If I replace the Flash Hider with a Muzzle Brake (ie Yankee Hill Machine Phantom) do I still have need to register this before Nov???
    bet you wish you were in texas now huh??

maddogthegreatest

Nov 19, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    bet you wish you were in texas now huh??

I moved with job from Maryland to Texas because of BRAC 93.

I thought I escape the Texas heat back in late 96.....
    Now this OMalley crap is hotter then fricking HELL...
    (Still missing Tex Mex Food, Texas size steaks, and Girls :D)

Seriously...
    I do not want to register my AR, but I do not want to jeopardize my job either ..
    I still need to feed my family for another decade or so...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If it's not an HBAR, your AR-15 needs to be registered. Only having one evil feature will not save you.

That is correct, insofar as the legislation says this explicitly. :)
    erwos..
    not to beat a dead horse, but if we did the "regulated form" on purchase for this in md (et al stripped lower and assembled or just "regulated") in years past. prior to this new law, do we need to register them if they have say, a colt HBAR upper and say a DPMS lower?
    or do them mean like COLT product through and through?
    SOME UPPERS arent even marked with colt, the barrels are.
    I know you getting hammered....but just wonder if unscrewing the F/H would then be "enough"

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Sorry for the repetitive question if it's been addressed. What if one transported in an AR from out of state when they moved into state, but never got it registered? In order to keep the rifle legally, they would have to simply register it prior to 1/1/14 provided it has the characteristics to fall under the category of a grandfathered weapon?

Correct.

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Sorry if this has been answered. What happens to all of your "AW" classified guns when you die. Can someone in your family inherit the guns if there is a written Will or must the family relinquish. What about a gun trust? Should I just purchase cheap land in WV and forget about all of this crap?

RP

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sorry if this has been answered. What happens to all of your "AW" classified guns when you die. Can someone in your family inherit the guns if there is a written Will or must the family relinquish. What about a gun trust? Should I just purchase cheap land in WV and forget about all of this crap?
    Good questions. Give me a minute, and I'll post up something about inheritance.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    What about belt fed weapons? I'm building a MG42 and a SG43. Both have no detachable magazine, so no need for registration?

Is there an MSP ruling for piston driven AR's? How about 300BLK rifles? I believe it's considered that they are not "copies". If so, they'd fall under the 2 feature test, but not an outright ban (no matter their barrel profile).

-Jim

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Erwos, thanks for your time and knowledge. I bought a Mak90 about 20 yrs ago for $250.00. It was not a regulated firearm at that time. It has no flash hider and has the thumbhole stock. I am wondering would this rifle have to be registered as a regulated firearm because it is an AK type, or, because it has only possibly one bad evil factor, the thumbhole it is exempt? This rifle is a decent shooter, I once fired a 3 1/2 inch group at 100 yds with Norinco 123 FMJ's that I got for 2 bucks a box.

And if I may ask this question, with the impending draconian law, Mini 14's and Mini 30's are exempt if they do not have collapsible or folding stocks. What kind of AR15's could still be sold in Md after this law takes effect? Could an AR with the no muzzle flash hider/muzzle brake full stock and just the pistol grip be sold?

Thanks all.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erwos
    Q: Can my kids inherit my banned firearms?
    A: Yes. Inheritance is one of the carve-outs, provided the firearm was lawfully owned by the deceased.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smacduf99
    And no future sales of grandfathered firearms to md residents?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erwos
    Not in a banned configuration. If it's not a named assault long gun, you could conceivably switch it to an unbanned config and sell it, or so it seems from the bill. (I'm willing to be proven wrong about that.)
    (sorry about the copy and paste, but I have not figured out the multi quote button)

I am a WV resident and my son lives in MD. Can he inhereit my legally owned, MD banned, "assault long guns"(hate that term)? The two quotes above seem to conflict a little on this issue in my mind. Or are "sale" and "inherit" the key words, with state residency not a factor?

erwos, thanks for this informative post/info!

Last edited:

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Not sure if it was addressed, but what if you're moving to MD and purchased your banned weapon in another state? Is there an exception for military or federal LE personnel transferring over/ being reassigned to MD?

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    So I'm guessing it would still be legal to buy say, a Glock, even though they take detachable mags? I read the bill a few times and it seemed to be implying that semi-auto handguns were banned because of the detachable mags.

* I know that the first post says that detachable mags are not an "evil" feature.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    So I'm guessing it would still be legal to buy say, a Glock, even though they take detachable mags? I read the bill a few times and it seemed to be implying that semi-auto handguns were banned because of the detachable mags.

* I know that the first post says that detachable mags are not an "evil" feature.

Most of the laws address detachable magazines outside of the grip. Nothing is bein addressed with handguns with the exception of possibly threaded barrels. The real problem will be buying a handgun that has a magazine > 10 rounds.

BlitzShooter

Feb 6, 2013
    Parts for Banned Guns?

I am sure I have missed it in all the posts, but does the purchase of parts for a banned weapon in Maryland allowed under the ban? Like firing pins, bolts, etc..you get the idea. I am just having a difficult time understanding all the details. I have been getting updates of the legislative wrap-ups and sending a massive amount of emails. This is a great site. I browsed for a long time before registering.
    One more question: If all of your weapons were purchased in MD and already went through the waiting period/background check, do you have to re-register them? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom