• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    At this point, I've decided I definitely want a lever action.. just something about them I've always loved. Maybe its too many cowboy movies, I dunno. I'm not a safe queen kinda guy... I don't want a show piece, but I want a great shooter thats fun. I'm thinking .357/.38 .... suggestions?? I appreciate it in advance!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Marlin Model 39A if you can find an older one. It's one of the most popular .22's ever made for a very good reason.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I've got a .22 rifle already (15-22) and I AM considering another .22, but looking for the 357/39 primarily, though, I'm listening to all the input I can get! :)

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Honestly, just about any would be a lot of fun. Rossi s are your least expensive option and Henry s are just plain smooth and awesome! The only issue you will find is getting any in the 357/38 chambering. They seem to not sit around very long.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    please pardon the complete noob question.... but what is with all the .22 lever action rifles? I wouldn't have imagined that was an original chambering in these rifles, was it? I mean, back in the days of cowboys and the gold rush etc?

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    please pardon the complete noob question.... but what is with all the .22 lever action rifles? I wouldn't have imagined that was an original chambering in these rifles, was it? I mean, back in the days of cowboys and the gold rush etc?
    Interesting question. A wiki look doesn't say when 22s were lever started. My two cents were that 19th century levers were pistol calibers, with no 22s, and the 30-30 coming along to introduce rifle cartridges late 1890's with smokeless powder.
    22s I think were a mid 20th century offering, gaining popularity steadily.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

Mostly I think due to .22 ammo being cheap and plentiful:sad20:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A lever gun in 357/38 is a good gun. Noticably quiet (very little report), no recoil.

Marlins, Henry, Rossi, or even Chiappa are all half decent names to purchase.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    I got a post Remington Marlin. What everyone says about quality control is correct. Had to send it in for warranty repairs before I even shot it. Took them 6 months. Works fine now. But that is really unacceptable.

Also have a Rossi. But I bought it from a gunsmith. So, no idea how it was out of the box. I love it.

Never shot a Henry. Most of their models have no loading gate. So, I didn't even consider one originally (and went with the Marlin). But, now that I've got some lever experience, I don't think it matters.

I suggest buying in a pistol caliber that you already shoot, or one you plan on getting in a revolver someday.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

If you want vintage "cowboy" rounds, you need to be looking for things that are mostly considered exotics now.

A .22 lever gun is popular for a lot of reasons. The Model 39/ 39A has been in production for a very long time and was probably one of the most popular small game rifles going before the rise of autoloaders. The recoil is non-existant and it allows you to have the cool factor of a lever gun without the high ammo cost of running a centerfire.

Now, if you really want to thump, get a .444 and never look back. :D

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have a Marlin 39D (similar to 39 Mountie, but with pistol Grip) and also a Browning BL-22. Both are super fun guns, but I actually prefer shooting the Browning. I like the very short throw on the Lever. I also have a Marlin 336C in 30-30 and a Browning BLR .308. If you would ever want to hunt deer with it, 30-30 is the classic brush/woods gun with pretty light recoil and the Browning .308 shoots about as well as many bolt action guns (and because it's fed from a detactable Mag, you aren't limited to flat, round or hollow cavity bullets or expensive LeveRevolution rounds for those 150 - 200 yd shots).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's an available Chiappa in 357 ...

http://grabagun.com/chiappa-firearms-mks-1892-trapper-carb-357mag.html

Same website has the same model available in 45 Colt and 44 magnum.

I have two Winchesters (made by Miroku) in 357, the 1873 Short rifle and the 1892 carbine. Both are fun, but the 1892 is my favorite of the two. It's almost as light and quick handling as my Browning BL-22 (also made by Miroku and very fun to shoot - started my lever addiction).

You can find Rossi stainless 1892s in 16- and 20-inch barrels chambering 357 for a bit over $500 if you monitor (or set an email reminder) at the Kentucky Gun Store online site. Henry's are probably more easily found locally, and will be about $200 more. Taylor's can also be found locally and will be in the $900-1000 range. New Winchester levers in 357 are harder to find and can range from $900-1100. Hinterlands outfitters often gets them, so is a good place to set up email reminders. Took me 2-3 months to get models that I wanted once I started shopping around.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I have a Uberti 1873 special sporting rifle (20") in .357 and it's very nice. The 1873 action is extremely smooth. The Uberti rifles are excellent quality but a little on the high end, price wise. I also have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy rifle (24") in .357. It's not as smooth as the 1873 but still fun to shoot. I fire .38 Special and .357 in both with no function problems. I prefer the 1873, looks cool and I prefer the sights.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a Marlin 39D (similar to 39 Mountie, but with pistol Grip) and also a Browning BL-22. Both are super fun guns, but I actually prefer shooting the Browning. I like the very short throw on the Lever. I also have a Marlin 336C in 30-30 and a Browning BLR .308. If you would ever want to hunt deer with it, 30-30 is the classic brush/woods gun with pretty light recoil and the Browning .308 shoots about as well as many bolt action guns (and because it's fed from a detactable Mag, you aren't limited to flat, round or hollow cavity bullets or expensive LeveRevolution rounds for those 150 - 200 yd shots).

on the two Brownings! I also have a Belgian Browning lever in 308. Such a lightweight rifle, but as you said, made for hunting, not pounding your shoulder at extended range sessions.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My Rossi 92 in .357 was just fine out of the box. I used her Sunday at the Pepper Mill Creek Gang shoot, did very well. The action is a little crunchy out of the box but that works itself out after a couple hundred rounds. Be warned, it won't be your only lever gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom