• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm thinking of going down this road and adding one to the collection. I know a bit about it, but I don't know anything bad about it.

So, take me to school and tell me why I shouldn't get one?

Mark

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'm thinking of going down this road and adding one to the collection. I know a bit about it, but I don't know anything bad about it.

So, take me to school and tell me why I shouldn't get one?

Mark

Heavy, cheesy furniture, flimsy stock, strange trigger, I have seen a few where the optic rail separated from the receiver and had to be returned to SIG for repair.

Now, the furniture and stock could be switched out, but I don't know if anything can be done about the trigger. I have not shot one but I also haven't heard anyone ever complain about reliability.

I think a 556P would make a neat SBR.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB (GO PENS! BEAT THE ISLES!!!)

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Heavy, cheesy furniture, flimsy stock, strange trigger, I have seen a few where the optic rail separated from the receiver and had to be returned to SIG for repair.

Now, the furniture and stock could be switched out, but I don't know if anything can be done about the trigger. I have not shot one but I also haven't heard anyone ever complain about reliability.

I think a 556P would make a neat SBR.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB (GO PENS! BEAT THE ISLES!!!)

I just got a 556 Classic Swat. Haven't shot it yet, but I don't know about all of the above comments. It is noticeably heavier than an AR 15, especially nose heavy (not sure if the non-Swat is so obviously like this, w/o the full length rail), but it is piston driven like an AK, which also tend to be nose heavy. If you get a "classic" model, then you get the Swiss stock, and there is NOTHING cheap or cheesey about it. The trigger on dry fire does feel strange. Sort of surprises me when it breaks....will see if it feels different when I actually shoot it.

If you want to go the SBR route, either do the 556 P or get the Patrol model and have the barrel cut and recrowned.

Hope to have more info once I shoot it.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    It's not made by SIG in Switzerland to Swiss military specs. Instead, it's an inferior copy made here. That's enough for me not to own one. I too was thinking about it at one point but after even just a bit of web research, I was done.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    The non chrome lined barrel is a deal breaker for me. This is a budget cost saving measure that doesn't belong on a rifle at the 556's price point.

EDIT: I just did a bit of digging. Looks like Sig is chrome lining their barrels on current production models now. That is a good thing.

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Thought about adding a Sig 556 to the arsenal at some point. I think I'm going to hold out for the Sig MPX and go for that first.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    They are nice as a range toy for the collection. Do I prefer them over ARs? No... I guess it depends on what you want out of it.They are heavy and don't always come with the greatest features. The newer ones all come with a solid folding (non collapsing) stock, which is much better than the original one they came with. I even replaced my 522s with the non collapsible 550 series stocks. Or you can use a DDLES stock adapter and use any AR buffer tube and stock combo you wish. The classic handguards can fit sloppy. I have seen various fixes for this or you can get a rail from Samson, Troy, or B&T. Krebs makes a better safety selector. The SIG diopter sights are not great but Samson/Midwest/MFI all make iron sights. I prefer the MFI sights as they sit lower and align more like a Swiss Diopter.

Comparing them to a Swiss made 550 series rifle is a bit unfair, for one they are much cheaper on the wallet. Expecting that kind of quality is probably unrealistic considering the price difference. However for what they cost, I don't think they are bad rifle. I think SIG briefly got away from the chrome lined barrels but have since gone back. I own a 551-A1 and just bought a 556R. I have had no issues with the 551-A1 and the 556R is second generation so it should be squared away now.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I should add that on the newest generation rifles, they have ambi selector switches AND ambi mag releases, 2 things that AR owners spend a lot of $ to add. Its a nice plus. I have also heard and am eager to test that they work with all AR mags and also shoot steel cased ammo very reliably. Again, looking forward to testing mine out.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    They are nice as a range toy for the collection. Do I prefer them over ARs? No... I guess it depends on what you want out of it.They are heavy and don't always come with the greatest features. The newer ones all come with a solid folding (non collapsing) stock, which is much better than the original one they came with. I even replaced my 522s with the non collapsible 550 series stocks. Or you can use a DDLES stock adapter and use any AR buffer tube and stock combo you wish. The classic handguards can fit sloppy. I have seen various fixes for this or you can get a rail from Samson, Troy, or B&T. Krebs makes a better safety selector. The SIG diopter sights are not great but Samson/Midwest/MFI all make iron sights. I prefer the MFI sights as they sit lower and align more like a Swiss Diopter.

Comparing them to a Swiss made 550 series rifle is a bit unfair, for one they are much cheaper on the wallet. Expecting that kind of quality is probably unrealistic considering the price difference. However for what they cost, I don't think they are bad rifle. I think SIG briefly got away from the chrome lined barrels but have since gone back. I own a 551-A1 and just bought a 556R. I have had no issues with the 551-A1 and the 556R is second generation so it should be squared away now.

556R is on my list. I keep hearing it's front heavy. Is it only slightly or enough to be a detraction?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    It has essentially an AK action, so it is front heavy like an AK. If you've handled or shot an AK before, its about the same.

Oh, one other feature of the 556/556r. Its a non-regulated firearm in maryland, but will presumably be banned based on the features test on Oct 1. So, if you get one now, no 68 day wait.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    Quite honestly I love mine! Not that its been used & abused, but I have about 500 rounds through mine with out a single FTF or FTE. I am also using PMAGs Gen 2 and Gen 3 in the weapon. The gun also runs fine with GI aluminum mags with the green follower.

It is a new(er) production Sig 556 SWAT Classic with the one piece folding stock, the full front end rail, and factory diopter sights. The trigger itself is a strange beast, but I personally like the feel. Comes off like a two stage trigger. My complaint on the weapon is that brass tends to eject with quite a bit of force, and the spent cases will remove some of the finish just behind the ejection port. You'll see a few range guns out there with a home-grown mod that gets around this cosmetic issue. You're also going to be very limited in aftermarket grip mods/offerings.

***I should also note that this is a non-regulated firearm/configuration, and it has a heavy profile barrel. I picked up mine at the Chantilly show C&C for less than $1250 prior to "panic prices".***

Last edited:

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    It has essentially an AK action, so it is front heavy like an AK. If you've handled or shot an AK before, its about the same.

Oh, one other feature of the 556/556r. Its a non-regulated firearm in maryland, but will presumably be banned based on the features test on Oct 1. So, if you get one now, no 68 day wait.

Very much like an AK with better options for mounting optics. Cant wait to try it out when I pick it up in a few weeks. Since it isnt banned by name, I bet SIG could make a fixed stock version and sell them here after Oct 1. Either way glad I found one before then.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Biggest complaint is that it's heavy. The original non-adjustable stock is a pretty poor design, but I don't hate it as much as some do.

Love the trigger. It might be different, but not in a bad way. Great sights, more like a G3 with a rear diopter.

Much prefer an AR, or a Daewoo, there are better options... but I don't regret buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom