• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    I have a marlin 22 rifle, a 60 SB, upon which, I have a Tasco scope mounted.
    The front "eye" of the scope is now touching the top of the barrell mount, and I cannot get it to go any lower. I have the scope adjustment backed all the way up, but I am still 4" to 5" low below the crosshairs at 50yards.

Is the scope I mounted simply too big, or is there something else I can do to get this dialed in better?

It's not unlike the image below.
    GunPictures046.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Is the problem that the physical objective of the scope is interfering with the rear iron sight preventing mounting ? Or is it mounted, but will not zero within the range of internal scope adjustment ?

Dec 14, 2011
    Bel Air
    No both rings need to be the same height . Get a higher SET of rings it will raise the whole scope .

Get a set of Leupold High or Super High rings. It will raise the whole scope .90 for High and 1" for super high. If the front of the scope body is in interference with the rear sight then punch out the rear sight.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    What size is that scope???
    .22 has no recoil so you don't have to worry much about eye relief as far as impact with your head goes...
    Can you move the scope forward in the rings to the point you can clear the rear sight and still use it?
    Can you remove the rear sight and get the clearance you need?
    Ideally you want the center of the scope as close to the bore axis as possible so higher rings may not be the best option.
    I guess that's why a 32mm objective has kinda been the standard on variable rim-fire scopes for quite some time.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    No way for me to answer all these questions without some visual support.

Here's the current situation. Yes, it's a crazy big scope, maybe it should be smaller. But I like the view it gives me.

Tips?

MarlinSB60.jpg

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Your scope should only touch rifle in rings. You are going to have to fix that or be very frustrated with performance. Scope might be a tad to big for your rifle. Have you boresighted it?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Here's the current situation. Yes, it's a crazy big scope, maybe it should be smaller. But I like the view it gives me.

Tips?

MarlinSB60.jpg

get the see through scope rings..it will raise it high enough to see the iron sights and should give you the height you need...

http://www.cabelas.com/mounts-bases...F-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla

http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=VMM_T928M5SJ0QGf46mzBw&ved=0CI8BEPMCMAQ#

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    You need higher scope rings . You front objective is hitting the rear sight not allowing the scope to seat in to rings . Which means your barrel is pointing down while your cross hairs are on target . The scope cannot be touching anything but the rings it is mounted in . Your front ring does not look to be on the dove tail all the way and the ring itself is not tightened down all the way

edit ... I see you have scope caps laying there as well . looking as the set up you have if you want to use those your only option is higher rings . I does not look like they will fit on the scope even after removing the rear sight .

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008

Tips?

MarlinSB60.jpg

Be careful taking that outside in the dry summer months...
    You may start fires.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    OK, I went and added a small "riser" to the rear ring. This seems to have helped greatly. Now, I am actually semi-accurate. I need to go to the range to really get it dialed in, but based on the 25yd shots I am taking in my yard, it's much, much improved.

(and no, the scope covers don't fit)

I will try one of those sets of rings that were suggested.

You need higher rings. Better yet, a scope more appropriate for that gun. You can try removing the rear iron sight. I can see that your front ring isn't fully closed -- the gap between the two halves gives it away. The objective is pressing down on the sight. You can damage the scope.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Higher rings. The common "See Thru" rings should be more than tall enough ( if not able to actually see thru in this case) .

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    OK, I went and added a small "riser" to the rear ring. This seems to have helped greatly. Now, I am actually semi-accurate. I need to go to the range to really get it dialed in, but based on the 25yd shots I am taking in my yard, it's much, much improved.

(and no, the scope covers don't fit)

I will try one of those sets of rings that were suggested.

Dude.. stop messing around with bubbafied solutions. Get the right height scope rings/ bases. A lot of shooters at MG shoot with the same rifle and keep up, The standard of accuracy there is to be able to consistently hit 1" orange stickies at 100 yards.

Walmart or Dicks should have them for < 20 bucks

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Dude.. stop messing around with bubbafied solutions. Get the right height scope rings/ bases. A lot of shooters at MG shoot with the same rifle and keep up, The standard of accuracy there is to be able to consistently hit 1" orange stickies at 100 yards.

Walmart or Dicks should have them for < 20 bucks

:thumbsup: what SCAR said . Fix it right .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom