• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So I got my AR10 built finally and I'm looking to add glass to my rifle. I plan on punching paper and taking it hunting. I know they say buy once cry once and that's my plan this time. I'm looking to spend 400-600 dollars not including the mount. Probably going to end up swapping out my stock for a fixed one. Right now I'm undecided ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429089405.809258.jpg

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I'm in the same situation as the OP but my question is a bit different. What is the recommended size for the Objective on a scope to be mounted on an AR10/308 platform? 30mm seems a bit small to me but is 50mm too big? Is 40mm the Goldilocks size? Thanks for your help.

Cal68

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    In that price range, Vortex Viper PST 1-4x or SWFA 1-4x.

You could move into the Nikon Monarch/M Series but it will be a stretch on that budget.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I use my .308 AR for deer hunting. I just put a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 on it with the Vortex cantilever 3'' offset mount made by ADM. The scope itself was around $600. It is SFP and the only thing I need to do to tune the scope to my rifle is Chrono a few rounds. Big velocity difference from what the box says and what my 16'' barrel puts out.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Scope recommendation for AR10/308

I'm in the same situation as the OP but my question is a bit different. What is the recommended size for the Objective on a scope to be mounted on an AR10/308 platform? 30mm seems a bit small to me but is 50mm too big? Is 40mm the Goldilocks size? Thanks for your help.

Cal68

The bigger the objective lens = the more light gets thru = you can simply see better...

I have Nikon Monarch 5-20x44RS Rifle Scopes on my 308, 30-30 & 223 rifles...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The only AR I have that does not have a 1 to 4/6 tactical scope is my 6.8mm and it has a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. The 44mm objective allows me to use medium height rings with no riser to sit just above the rail by only a few millimeters. I use one of the infinitely adjustable TacMod stocks and get a very low and comfortable hold. If I did a .308 I would likely do something similar. The Nikon 5-20x44 is also a good scope.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    That gun only has a 16" barrel on it; a 308 is going to have an inconsistent burn rate in that short of a barrel. 1-4x, 1-6x, or 2-8x will be more than enough glass.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Big thing to look for is reticle and turrets in the same measurement system

MOA and MOA or MIL and MIL. Your choice as to which one of the two.

Makes life MUCH easier.

I am a BIG fan of Vortex these days. Their warranty is unreal. Lifetime, transferable, no questions asked. It's broke, they fix or replace it. Even if you ran over it with your truck.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    The bigger the objective lens = the more light gets thru = you can simply see better...

I have Nikon Monarch 5-20x44RS Rifle Scopes on my 308, 30-30 & 223 rifles...

I recognize that the larger objective collects more light, but I was just wondering whether a 50mm objective makes the scope too bulky for normal use. If the answer is no, I'll probably go with the 50mm objective over a smaller one. Thanks.

Cal68

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Big thing to look for is reticle and turrets in the same measurement system

MOA and MOA or MIL and MIL. Your choice as to which one of the two.

Makes life MUCH easier.

I am a BIG fan of Vortex these days. Their warranty is unreal. Lifetime, transferable, no questions asked. It's broke, they fix or replace it. Even if you ran over it with your truck.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I love Leupold too but that may change with the 1-6 Vortex coming this summer!

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I just got from SWFA a Redfield Battlezone 3x9 42mm, with a Mount for my LR308, I also looked at the Revolution 3x9 40mm, they have some good combo deals going right now, Reason for choosing and I did allot of reading with regard the distance I will be focusing on and Ammo association these fit my purpose and price but I went with the MIL-DOT/Hash mark Reticle, Simple and I am familiar with Mil-Dot. Once I get Home and apply the scope and fire some rounds I will post my opinion...

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a weaver tactical 4-20x50 mil/mil FFP that I'm willing to let go cheap if interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom