• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have a Remington 870 with a screw-in choke and I plan on shooting trap at a range tomorrow that only allows steel shot. I currently have an improved cylinder choke in the barrel and I was wondering if there are any problems I have to look out for. Can I use the improved cylinder choke? Should I keep checking to see if the choke starts to unscrew? Am I supposed to torque in the choke to prevent it from unscrewing?

Any help or advice on chokes or trap would be greatly appreciated since I have never shot trap, or clay pigeons, before. Advice on technique is welcome as well since I have never shot at a moving target before either.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Can't help you with the technical advice, but I can tell you that shooting moving clays is WAY more fun than punching holes in paper! Although it can be more frustrating as well.....

Last edited:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Don't do it.....my understanding is that you must use choke tubes specifically designed for steel shot. I don't know if it's dangerous to use steel with the regular tubes, but it sure can't be good.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Someone directed me to Remington's website and Remington said it was ok to use steel shot in an imroved cylinder. But when I cleaned it out last night, there was a thick layer of melted plastic on it. It was a pain getting it out. My score improved in the last round of trap though, so maybe the built up gunk did some good :eek: .

My first time shooting clay pigeons was fun. I see why people are into it so much.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Glad that it worked out OK......yes, wad is a PITA to clean. I usually just let my tubes soak in some Shooters Chpice while I do the rest of the gun.

Careful with shooting clays....it's completely addictive. We'll have to do a get together at the PGC range sometime soon.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Norton said:
    Glad that it worked out OK......yes, wad is a PITA to clean. I usually just let my tubes soak in some Shooters Chpice while I do the rest of the gun.

Careful with shooting clays....it's completely addictive. We'll have to do a get together at the PGC range sometime soon.
    I'll try the Shooter's Choice idea. Which range is the PGC range? Is that the one on Good Luck road near Greenbelt? What are the prices there?

I shot at the range I am a member of in Bowie and I only had to pay for shells and clays. I might try Greenbelt though because I would like to try skeet and our range onlt has trap (and a regular target range as well).

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    PGC is indeed the one of of Goodluck......nice place with a fully stocked pro-shop with good case prices on ammo.

Trap rounds are around $3 if you buy tickets by the book (10 rounds). Not sure about skeet or clays.

Sweet Pea

Jul 11, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Trap Shooting

A place I find quite nice is Meyerstation. I try to go every Tuesday. The NWTF has a nice set up. The cost is $3 per round or $7 for a round and shells. They have 20 guage and 12 guage shell. It is a lot of fun and good company. For directions go to meyerstation.org

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Norton said:

I found out that the trap in Bowie is open to the public on Saturdays. I plan on shooting there this coming Saturday (easier for me to get to Bowie than Greenbelt). If you are interested, then I'll give directions. They only have trap though and I hear that it doesn't even come close to being as nice as Greenbelt. They also only allow steel shot in Bowie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom