• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    My headspace gages finally came in so I'm taking bolts apart one at a time to check the rifles I built this fall. One bolt has a seized ejector that won't push in and will not pull out with pliers. I have spare ejectors so I don't care if I mangle the bad one getting it out. Any ideas?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Seize the bolt in a vise with padded jaws. Make sure the extractor roll pin is out and lightly tap on the ejector with a small screwdriver and small hammer. Use lube.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It's pretty much soaked with Mobil 1 already. New bolt so it isn't firing funk or carbon fouling.

I would still try Kroil, seriously. My experience has been a dedicated penetrating/loosening lubricant like that really outperforms regular oils. Been a few years since I went through Colt's Armorer's School but I'm trying to think of ideas. I'm guessing from your IP that you do have the roll pin out and it is the ejector itself that is stuck, correct?

The other suggestion is if it's newer I would contact the manufacturer and try to get a refund. This should not be happening with properly spec'd parts. It's possible of course but I think very unlikely. Most of the times this happens it tends to keep happening. Too much tolerance to let the ejector move and brass shavings, etc. can get down in there and hang it up. Too little and of course the ejector itself can get hung up. Of course with it being new you might just have some factory crud down there that got in somehow as well during assembly and that's all it is. But I have a feeling this won't be your last rodeo with this bolt. To keep the thread on track I won't mention a four letter solution to avoiding bolt problems like this (C-O-L-T) ;)

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Yes roll pin out, ejector stuck. Heat no luck, tapping no luck, Liquid Wrench in a beaker in the ultrasonic no luck. BCG has been in my parts stash since just after Sandy Hook, don't even remember where I got it or who made it. Probably a gunshow special. Figured it would be good enough for a beater carbine.

Picked up a new Aero Precision at the local shop for $89. Will just strip good parts off the funky one for spares.

Brownell's phosphate mil-spec is my go to. Have BCM, Spikes and Aero as well, all good.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I wonder if you could drill the center, toss a machine screw in there, and slide-hammer it out.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    maybe a little dangerous to the weapon, how bout with the pin out chamber and extract some dummies or spent cases a few times or 20 to see if it will loosen up.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Throw it against a brick wall a few times. It won't fix your problem, but you'll probably feel a lot better.

Frustrating, I'm sure.

Good Luck!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I usually drill them when this happens and i use a 4-40 (Im going by memory, so that may be wrong. Its the same tap people use to out a set screw in the rear takedown pin area to capture it).

I drill the ejector center and then run the tap in to get it spinning and then I can pull the ejector.

If you cant free it up, send it to me snail mail and ill fix it up.

If you want you can send me your HS gauges and ill modify them so no disassembly is needed anymore. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom