• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    What Select Fire offers is expertise and customer service. They pick up business from timid people interested in shooting their first gun. They pick up the other end of the spectrum, people interested in tactical training. They pick up business training security guards (federal agencies and private companies). Wayne is a nice guy; he has a lot of personality. The two boys who work their have some growing up to do, but they are helpful.

I'd recommend Select Fire as the best choice of stores for somebody new to firearms, that needs their hand held and wants to ask lots of questions and get lots of advice. Pro Bass is also good about answering questions, but they aren't as knowledgable.
    -------
    Select Fire doesn't want cell phones in their store. They say it's the alarm. One naturally suspects:
    1- they don't want pictures taken with camera phones.
    2 - they don't want a phone to ring out on the range, and somebody break the safety rules because they're stupid. Enough drivers kill themselves and others talking on cell phones. I personally don't need to see anybody texting and shooting at the same time.
    3- they are a business, and if you are on the phone you aren't being a customer
    4 - if you can hear your phone ring when you're shooting, then your ear protection is inadequate.

Yes, they are aggressive about not wanting cell phones in their store. They have a big clear sign about it. If somebody is too preoccupied to read a sign, they might not read the safety signs. Likewise, if somebody has a chip on their shoulder about cell phone rights, they might possibly be a safety risk.

Next, they are aggressive about wanting to visually inspect your gun when you come in. They want all guns brought into the store in cases. They don't want loaded magazines brought into the store. They don't want you to use outside ammo. I think it is reasonable, if not accomodating, that a gun store wants to make profit on ammo and doesn't want to subsidize Pro Bass. Likewise, a guy alone in a gun store needs to be paranoid about bangers coming into to rob him. They have every right to be afraid of people carrying concealed into their store.

Yes, they have a lot of cameras. If you do something unsafe, they might well see it.

That's my 2 cents.

:lol::lol2:

When does school start up again?

jsashooter

Jun 15, 2008
    Dundalk
    Last time I shot at select fire was 2001, and haven't been back since. I tried the place about 3 times, and every time was treated to arrogant range officers who treated me like a criminal. NEVER AGAIN!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Hi

This is my first post but I thought this would be a good place to contribute. I have been to Select Fire three times. The first time was when I was 19, and I didn't know you had to be 21. They weren't rude about it. The second time was last year, and I shot for the second time in my life (.22, .38SP, .357) and I didn't run into any trouble. The third time I went I also didn't have any trouble.

I live in Towson so once I discovered Continental, I have been going there. Much cheaper and no complete cell phone ban.

I have never been to On Target and after reading this, I think I might take my new .357 there for it's inaugural firing.

I'll also add that all three times I went were mid-day weekday, and I encountered the older gentleman.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    It's been around since Moses was roaming the seas.

I've always been treated in a um.....less than appropriate way.

About 20% of the people will probably tell you that they have no problems at all there. Rarely will you hear a story of exemplary customer service.

It's a shame too....I used to live less than 5 minutes away from Select Fire but chose to drive 25 minutes to On Target every week to shoot.

The one thing that many like about Select Fire is the concrete block lane dividers. Gives a little more of a sense of security when somebody not so competent is in the lane next to you.

Try the place out for yourself though, and let us know what you think.

+1 on all that. Just wish there was another place nearby to rent class 3 weapons. that's the only reason I've gone there

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    ...... BTW, I reload and pick up all my brass. I'm not sure if Select Fire allows that...they probably don't since they seem to disallow everything else.

I like On Target...that range has nice folks working there and don't have these unreasonable rules. I also pick up the brass I fire so I can reload and shoot there more often.
    I was in Select Fire recently and the kid was working. He just smiled and said I haven't seen you in awhile (I may have been in there less than 10 times in a year including a 2 day NRA class). I asked how business was and he said since Obama they can't keep much in stock. I gave him my license, he didn't ask what I was shooting, if I had a cell phone or to inspect my bag. He gave me a lane # and I asked for a couple targets. Oh, there was a guy in the lane next to me when finished had a little portable vaccum cleaner to pick up his brass. :lol2: I had a problem with what I was shooting and came out and asked him if he mind taking a look. He told me to go grab it and bring it in in the case, he checked it out told me he thought it was the spring and gave it back. No comments about what I was shooting or wise cracks. Thought I was in Bazzaro World...anyhow last couple times I've gone was midday during the week and it's almost pleasent. Course the range still feels like you are shooting in an alley, but no potential GBs hanging out in the parking lot either. :cool:

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    All I have to say is
    DO YOU HAVE A CELL PHONE!!!!!!!
    DO YOU HAVE A CELL PHONE!!!!!!!

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    I live ten minutes from there, and yet I drive an hour away to Horst and McCann for range sessions just because of the atmosphere there. The attitude of the staff, and having half the lights are oriented to illuminate the next lane instead of yours steers me away from that place.

Why H&M instead of OnTarget? Full booths (having empties land on your head from the next lane is irritating) and there's a pretty girl who meets me up there to share range time.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Never been to select fire, and I wont go either.

I like on target. Never had a problem with anyone except the owner (at least I think its the owner.) He can be an a-hole, especially if its busy.

The only problem I ever had there other than that was when I went with my GF one time. If you've been there, you know that the piece holding your target is just a little clip that you buy boxes of at office depot for next to nothing. And that clip is protected by a piece of steel, which then goes up to the cable which you move back and forth. Well, my GF shot the piece of steel that protects the stupid little clip, and the ten cent clip flew off. The owner started screaming at me, like A: It was me who shot it and B: like it was a big deal. Give me a frigging break. Its not like I shot the damned cable down. He sent the guy that works the range area out, he grabbed a new clip out of a pile he had in his pocket, installed in in less than 20 seconds, and we proceeded to shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Just a little back ground on those little clips .. if you hit the hanger it can hit the steel cable that holds the hanger and snaps it .. which means we have to shut that lane down until that evening to replace and if you havent done it than well you have no clue what you are in for and I have the scars to prove it .. the other thing is people find it funny when they hit it even when we are polite about it . Not saying what the man did was right but sometimes you have to put yourself in our position an the costs of running an range .

As for getting hit with shell casing .. been nailed with plenty at an outdoor range thank you not just indoor its apart of going to the range ...

ANy other questions or comments please feel free to message me I will do what i can to answer them .

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    A lot of idiots shoot the hangers intentionally, which would no doubt cause any range operator to get get...um.....excited.

And if you're the third or fourth one to accidently hit one that day?

Yeah you'reprobably gonna' be the unfortunate target of some unpleasant words even if you didn't deserve them.

(I'm speaking in general terms; not specifically about On Target, Select Fire or any other range.)

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    As far as the cell phone ban goes, most cell phones have a camera in them. All it would take is one IDIOT to try and get a picture of someone shooting, from the wrong side of the table, to get someone dead. I don't think anybody I know or talk/type to here would be that stupid, but you all know they are out there. It would only take one and the place would be shut down for sure.

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    I just dont like being yelled at as I walk into a store. I can read. Poor customer service.

gen1runner

Mar 13, 2009
    Cecil-tuckey
    Went there yesterday with my buddy. I was expecting the worst but it turned out not being to bad. I did see them spaz out on 2 groups of people who walked in with cell phones. Other than that not a bad day.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    i just got invited to one of select fire's invination only tac classes what a blast from the past. it was a sim class at a warehouse they rent. they had enough mp5's and glock and 226 and 229 kits everyone had there own gun. room entries and smoke ect. what every the reason the told me to come i had a blast. they have a basic pistol class coming up that i have done once and will do it again if i can find the ammo.

i have been going to select fire for many years and havent had a problem i worked for them on and off when they had a family vacation. they do have strict rules i have no idea why but it seems to keep the range maintains down to a min. for you guys that bash the young punk that is all about sigs him and his father got laid off. select fire has hooked me up with very good prices on any gun i asked for and sold it to me 20 buck over what they paid i also dont know why is it cause i am a loyal customer that doesnt trash them?

for you of those that are looking to get guns that cant come into MD cause of the fired carg case bull shit they will do it for you they can it is legal since they are a class 2 manufacture.

:lol:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom