"Sensitive" places restrictions on wear and carry currently that should not be.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That regulation dates back to the Chesapeake Bay Oyster Wars (The Maryland Natural Resources Police grew out of an organization that was call the Oyster Navy... then Oyster Police. They ran small warships with cannons and machine guns to try and keep order in the bay).
    And yes , in those days there were actual on the water gun battles between Maryland based and Virginia based oyster boats .

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    While out in the ( comparitive ) wilds is certainly safer generally than the big city , it's not without dangers . And not just protective or anti- social Bruins .

Isolated public owned land is a favored location for pot growers and clandestine meth cookers . Because if discovered , without being cought redhanded in person , there's no paper trail of property records to lead back to them . Likewise , stripping of stolen cars or illegal hazmat dumping won't take kindly to percieved interlopers .
    I know two people that were attacked by dogs while scouting for tree stand locations. Dispatched a few. Not a
    Disney forest. Outdoors is where the car is.

paperwork351

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I know two people that were attacked by dogs while scouting for tree stand locations. Dispatched a few. Not a
    Disney forest. Outdoors is where the car is.

paperwork351

Forgot that one . Not in Maryland , but a friend was attacked by a dog pack in the woods . .44 Mag 240 Starfires decisively drop aggressive pack dogs , and eventually the surviving dogs remembered pressing business elsewhere .

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Do you have a hunting license? Coyote, groundhog, and nutria have very liberal regs.
    That's how I carried on private land not mine, while shed hunting, with permission. I had a hunting lisc and furbearer permit, and yes would have tried a shot at a groundhog or coyote if close enough and the animal being stupid enough. Groundhogs sometimes freeze in place with you close to them. Coyote would have to be a mangeball, distempered, or rabid and days from death, but I would be able to legally put the poor thing down.

I don't know which state parks allow varmint hunting though.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yeah, restrictions on public transport cannot stand. There is no compelling government interest that overrides your right to self defense on either end of your ride.

Self defense between the ends is an issue. Metro has more than its fair share of feral teenagers.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Self defense between the ends is an issue. Metro has more than its fair share of feral teenagers.
    Exactly. It’s not like you are safe on the metro. The feral teens are armed, why shouldn’t a law abiding citizen exercise his/her right?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I don’t have all the answers, just offering my opinion on some limited solutions. Until TPM is addressed you gotta dance to the music they are playing.
    40+ years ago I remember being on small fishing boats on the Potomac, with my uncles having pistols. They would often shoot eels instead of bringing them in the boat alive. They were never concerned, and probably so, as they knew the Rangers and the Rangers knew them. I doubt anything would have happened, and most others we encountered were armed as well. I still always talk with the Rangers whenever I can. Hopefully we can eventually get back to those simpler times of being able to be prepared to defend ourselves. Not just our business or our cash.
    I have a customer who recalled to me a time before 1972. He said he knew a guy who open carried (while fishing I think), and nobody cared. Baltimore county.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Even the beach. You don’t really need a gun when there are no people…lol.
    Well, I'm not sure i agree with you in that don't need a gun where there is no people. But I live in bear country and see 5-6 a week. Hasn't been a problem....yet.

What I do agree with is evil exists, and you can not predict when and where evil happens. More people increases the chances of evil showing up. More armed citizens increases the odds evil is stopped before it can reek havoc.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well, I'm not sure i agree with you in that don't need a gun where there is no people. But I live in bear country and see 5-6 a week. Hasn't been a problem....yet.

What I do agree with is evil exists, and you can not predict when and where evil happens. More people increases the chances of evil showing up. More armed citizens increases the odds evil is stopped before it can reek havoc.
    Good point! I stand corrected. You need a gun everywhere.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's how I carried on private land not mine, while shed hunting, with permission. I had a hunting lisc and furbearer permit, and yes would have tried a shot at a groundhog or coyote if close enough and the animal being stupid enough. Groundhogs sometimes freeze in place with you close to them. Coyote would have to be a mangeball, distempered, or rabid and days from death, but I would be able to legally put the poor thing down.

I don't know which state parks allow varmint hunting though.
    Popped a ground hog like that a couple of days ago. I saw it out by my neighbor's shed (she wants them gone, so has no problems with me shooting them). I took out my suppressed 10/22 and snuck up, but it had darted under I figured. I had seen it loping over an hour earlier (I mostly work from home) at the start of a meeting and I'd just finished work.

I unloaded my gun and started walking back to stash it against my desk and keep an eye outside for it to come back out and feed. I realized I hadn't looked RIGHT up against the other side of the shed, so I reloaded my gun, turned around and got about 3 steps and then the ground hog poked up from under the corner of the shed at maybe 18yds and froze. Shouldered, aimed carefully and popped it right through heart and lungs. Dropped there and was gone in seconds. I then filled in the dugout dirt and gravel for my neighbor after tossing it in my back woods for the vultures and fox.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

IMHO, the per capita rate of evil goes down as more people show up, but the overall likelihood of evil goes up. At least in my limited experience.

If I run in to 10,000 people on the street, probably one of them is a D-bag who is more than happy to cut my throat for my wallet (though might not with a bunch of people around). If I run in to 10,000 people on a backwoods trail or logging road, probably several of them would have no compunctions about cutting my throat for my wallet or to keep something hushed up that I might have seen.

It just that I could probably walk those trails or roads and take 10 years to run in to 10,000 people and might not even then. In the city I might run in to 10,000 people in long day of walking around Baltimore. I'd just better hope I finish that walking in a nicer part before its dark and stay away from the worst parts even in daylight with a friend...

I've run in to more shady as hell people in the backwoods than I have in cities in terms of a percentage of those people I've run in to. But again, I've run in to hundreds of thousands of people in cities in my almost 40 years on this planet. I've probably run in to low thousands of people in the backwoods and hiking trails in those same 40 years.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    I have a customer who recalled to me a time before 1972. He said he knew a guy who open carried (while fishing I think), and nobody cared. Baltimore county.
    i'll tell a tale, born in 60' was no big deal to walk down to the local hardware store and buy shells, carrying a shotgun in the store , and going to rabbit or squirrel hunt . always had a shotgun in a window rack when i was in high school , never knew when i would get a chance to go hunt , would be in jail for it today .

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    As Patton said at El Guettar they’ll be getting an education in a few minutes.

They are like petulant, insolent children
    the 'education' these ahole lawmakers will get will be a far cry from Patton's targets. that's the real problem, they won't be personally sued, they won't be thrown in jail, hell, they won't even be tarred & feathered. there is ZERO downside for them infringing on our 2a rights.

scotus just affirmed 2a so these guys say fine, we'll allow y'all to get permits. but we'll restrict where you can carry. then (years or decades later) scotus will say limiting locations is infringing. then they'll come up with something else and we'll wait another year or decade for that to be removed...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The lower courts can’t do the 2A two step any longer.

I don’t see cases languishing in the lower courts as long as in the past

We shall see

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    e832f9791d9baec3332285914e710aed.gif

Title 18.2. Crimes and Offenses Generally » Chapter 7. Crimes Involving Health and Safety » Article 6.1. Concealed Weapons and Concealed Handgun Permits » § 18.2-308.014. Reciprocity

Yes, all permits.

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    With everything that was said by the Supreme Court you would think that politicians would figure out that all these places they are trying to prevent anyone from being armed were actually spoken of. Subways were specifically spoken of by a SCJ. And parks were also specifically spoken of by a SCJ. Both made remarks concerning how someone could run into a dangerous situation in both places.
    Personally I am more worried about my families safety if we are out and I am not able to fight off the “bad guys”. So I will do what is right by my families safety and not by some f*@kwad politician who thinks his political ideology is more important than my families safety.

P.S. MoCo politicians can all eat a big bag of D!@ks. BIG BAG. Lol

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Currently we cant carry in state parks, state forests, state rest stops , inns, ect.

When will there be changes?
    If there are to be any changes to where gun owners can and cannot carry, the legislative session starts on January 11th and ends on April 10th. I think that any employee should be able to take the same class that we do so that he/she can carry in state parks, state forests, state rest stops, schools, and churches. I heard about an arrest at a hotel after law enforcement was made aware of firearms in a room at a hotel/inn. I am on the fence about people carrying a firearm at a hotel/inn.
    Maryland Manual On-Line, n.d., 2023 Legislative Session, https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/07leg/html/sessions/2023.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom