• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The discrimination comes from the hiring practice of criminal background checks which disproportionally affecting minorities. :wtf:

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Sooo...dumb question...it states "Even when such necessity is proven, the practice remains unlawful if there is an alternative practice available that is comparably effective in achieving the employer’s goals but causes less discriminatory effect,” Lawrence said."

What is the "Comparable practice?"

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Haven't we already been down this road that the whole legal system is unjust and discriminates against minorities? Now the feds are admitting the fact and using it in a lawsuit?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    So are they discriminating against criminals that consequently happen to be a minority that commits the majority of crime? That's weird.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    And that has been proven to be a fallacy. Where they implemented ”ban the box” the hiring became racist as a certain subgroup of humans were perceived more likely to have criminal records. Or so was claimed on the Freakanomics podcast based on statistics.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    One would think that a business does not want convicted criminals handling cash and/or inventory to keep costs down. :shrug:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Headline, Sheetz goes fully robotic with AI in order to eliminate possible discrimination against hiring crooks and thieves. The AI robots will be multi-colored so as to not trigger racism.
    It could happen.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    One would think that a business does not want convicted criminals handling cash and/or inventory to keep costs down. :shrug:

A major technology corporation I worked for required a background check and a drug test. There would be new people who were provisionally hired pending the results of these checks and they would sometimes disappear soon after they appeared.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    I mean, the Federal Government requires background checks during the hiring process. smh
    Seems like a simple solution. Give all the applicants that were denied due to criminal background checks government jobs. They will be right at home with all the other crooks getting paid to do nothing while only a few employees are actually productive.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    As I am going through my TS clearance right now, I am struck by the irony. Many questions about criminal history, including criminal activity for which I haven't been caught. But I guess the rules for the Feds are different than the rules they want for a private corporation...

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    So are convicts now a protected class? Or is the plaintiff asserting that convicts and some other protected class are supposed to be considered one in the same? Or is it possible that in some locations, convicts are unable to secure jobs involving positions of trust requiring a history of no unlawful conduct? Such are the consequences of criminality.

Sheetz has no more obligation to hire convicts than anyone else. Apparently McDonalds and other large retail food/bev companies do similarly.

This case should be dismissed with prejudice. Failing that, it should be tried in Altoona.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom