• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajski

Nov 27, 2011
    I recently moved into a house on 4 acres with some wooded land that backs up to a large farm in the Mount Airy area. Someone has setup a shooting perch in a tree on my property. I assume hes got permission from the owner of the farm to shoot Deer on his land but he doesnt have permission from me to be on , shoot from, or leave stuff on my property. Im wondering what the norms are in the area and the best course of action is. Thanx.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'd go speak with the farmer and ask him if he gave someone permission and explain you feel it's on your property. Hopefully he can contact the person who put it there and take it down.

If you dont feel like doing that you can contact DNR and let them know.

It's common when you get into wooded area's and fields to not know your property lines. It's possible what you think is yours isnt.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    you could just tare it down but with out knowing and being new you may want to just leave a note asking for them to remove the stand. I would ask the neighbors it is probably someone who has been using it or the same area for a while and may of had permission from the previous owner. Or they may think they are on the farmers property and just asking should fix it no problem.

P.S. the Mt Airy IWLA is very close to you on woodville road and open Thursday nights for trap shooting if your into that kinda thing. Nice way to meet some new like minded people in the area.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Maybe since you moved there, it's no longer being used? If you see the hunter, just tell him it's your property and you are not permitting hunters to use it. In the meantime, you can post "no trespassing, private property" etc, signs. There were similar set up on my property in Sykesville when I bought the house/land. I took them down. Giant friggin nails in the trees...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You need written permission from the owner of private property to hunt on it and you have to carry it with you while you are hunting. If you are the owner of the property this tree stand is on and he did not obtain it from you he is hunting illegally. I would contact the owner of the farm first and ask him about it. If you can't reach an agreement that way call the DNR.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Chances are really that it is a case of mistaken boundaries or the person who set up the treestand might have had previous permission and did not realize that the ownership has changed.
    Please make a bona-fide attempt to solve this without too much hassle involved. A letter or sign left at the stand asking for its removal and talking to your neighbour should help and might just solve all problems. If no reaction occurs, put your new treestand in your garage.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Somebody put it there after you moved in? If so, as others have said, ask your neighbors, including the farmer. Put a note on the tree for a week or so. After that, it's yours to do with as you please. You might also consider posting no hunting, private property, and no trespassing signs on the tree. If you feel it's necessary, call DNR and/or the sheriff's office to file a report.

FWIW, I live in Mount Airy. It's possible a hunter had permission (maybe going back years) from the previous owner to set up the stand and honestly doesn't know that you own the property now. If that's the case, try to settle it cordially first.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If it's 4 acres, is it possible it was the previous owner's stand and being back on the property, he forgot about it? If you are SURE it's on your property, there is nothing to stop you from dismantling it, but I'd talk to your neighbor out of curiosity and maybe you'll get the story and make a friendly neighbor friend.

Mason-Dixon

Nov 26, 2011
    Chances are really that it is a case of mistaken boundaries or the person who set up the treestand might have had previous permission and did not realize that the ownership has changed.
    Please make a bona-fide attempt to solve this without too much hassle involved. A letter or sign left at the stand asking for its removal and talking to your neighbour should help and might just solve all problems. If no reaction occurs, put your new treestand in your garage.

+1
    Similar situation occurred near my hunting property. The property owner left a message in a watertight ziplock bag asking for the treestand owner to contact him. The tree stand was gone in less than a week. No hassle. No official action taken.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    put a note at the tree stand and have them call you or knock on your door.. if not tear it down. but make sure it is in your property.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Chances are really that it is a case of mistaken boundaries or the person who set up the treestand might have had previous permission and did not realize that the "OWNERSHIP" has changed.

Note the keyword "OWNERSHIP" above ^^^^^

I recently moved into a house on 4 acres with some wooded land that backs up to a large farm in the Mount Airy area. Someone has setup a shooting perch in a tree on my property. I assume hes got permission from the owner of the farm to shoot Deer on his land but he doesnt have permission from me to be on , shoot from, or leave stuff on my property. Im wondering what the norms are in the area and the best course of action is. Thanx.

Nowhere in the OP's post does it indicate the OP "OWNS" (meaning purchased) the above said property in question. OP does indicate he moved into a house. This does not necessarily mean he owns it and the surrounding four acres. It's possible the OP didn't purchase, but, instead, rents the house. If the OP rents, the landlord (owner) has the right to give permission to anyone to hunt the landlord's property as long as the hunting activity is at least 150 yards from the house. If the OP "OWNS" the house and land in question, then and only then will the OP have the full legal rights as a landowner.

Last edited:

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    I'm up here also

It would be polite to ask your adjoining neighbor if he is hunting or has allowed a relative of his to use your tree. If you are sure of the property line, say it's marked with a fence or other obvious boundary, shrub line, suggest to them how you feel and ask him to take it down. Maybe give him this season to hunt and then have him take it down. If he does not know about it then take it down. Leave it there with a note about trespassing and you should be good. :thumbsup:

Zombot

Sep 19, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread, but what are the laws on shooting on your own property? I only own 1/4 acre, so I'm assuming I can't shoot on it, but I don't know the laws. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Zombot

Sep 19, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    I suppose "sure" would be up to defintion. I should research turning my unused garage into a pistol range...not very long, but it doesn't have to be to practice, I'd think. Just make the target smaller. Hmmmm...I bet insurance would make this not worthwhile, though.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread, but what are the laws on shooting on your own property? I only own 1/4 acre, so I'm assuming I can't shoot on it, but I don't know the laws. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

you might run into issues unless you are zoned commercially. i think that discharging a firearm within so close to a neighboring house might also be an issue.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I suppose "sure" would be up to defintion. I should research turning my unused garage into a pistol range...not very long, but it doesn't have to be to practice, I'd think. Just make the target smaller. Hmmmm...I bet insurance would make this not worthwhile, though.

would you want your neighbor shoot in their yard? its a small lot. check your local laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom