• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I’m looking to learn more about short stroke kits for my model 1873. From what I’ve seen/read, there are various generations of these kits with various pros and cons. I’m just looking for something reliable enough to handle .357 magnum rounds without the possibility of primer “light strikes”. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    The short stroke kits don’t effect primer strikes per se. I’ve tried most kits and also had a Cody gun. My favorite is pioneer but I was going for full speed. The short strokes take away a portion of the leverage so you’ll feel more resistance from the hammer spring So you turn down the spring pressure and if your using hard primers they’ll fail. It’s a balancing act like any hot rod. We reloaded our 357s and only used federal primers. CCI were a no go. Feel free to pm me anytime.
    Good luck

PS. Also like hot rods those kits are Not plug and play. There’s hours involved to get them just right.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    The short stroke kits don’t effect primer strikes per se. I’ve tried most kits and also had a Cody gun. My favorite is pioneer but I was going for full speed. The short strokes take away a portion of the leverage so you’ll feel more resistance from the hammer spring So you turn down the spring pressure and if your using hard primers they’ll fail. It’s a balancing act like any hot rod. We reloaded our 357s and only used federal primers. CCI were a no go. Feel free to pm me anytime.
    Good luck

PS. Also like hot rods those kits are Not plug and play. There’s hours involved to get them just right.

Makes sense.
    Thanks so much

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Two places I found.

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/
    Check out the rifle parts section for Uberti, there's a couple videos.

http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/#action
    This guy Cody told me he does not replace any parts, he just smooths and tunes everything up. He has outstanding reviews.

Also google...fast shooting Winchester 1873

Thank you.
    I’ve watched a lot of videos which is probably why I have so many questions. From what I hear, Cody doesn’t replace parts but he does lighten springs which have led to light strikes with some primers. At least that’s what I saw in one of the videos I watched.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Cody used to cut and weld the lever to take up the free play. I guess he’s stopped doing that. His guns are very smooth.

Also the hammer spring is super easy to adjust. There’s two screws on the out side of the gun. I’ll do it between stages if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom