• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    My Sig P6 doesn't like the Federal +P+ 115 grain jacketed hollow point (9BPLE). About every 6 shots, the slide just stays all the way back and the bullet is resting on the ramp, unfired. I'm thinking that maybe the 9BPLE is too powerful for this gun since I've used Magtech JHP as well as two brands of FMJ ammo on it without any problem. Has anyone experienced this type of problem?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    There is a picture floating around the interwebs showing the two types of sig P6 feed ramps. One version works really well with american style hollowpoints, the other can be really picky. It turns out the german police used hollowpoints with a plastic roundnose cap in them to aid in feeding and improve expansion, much like fancy american rifle ammo.

I found pictures of the feedramps, and the fancy german ammo on ar15.com, in the handgun > sig sauer section.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    I don't think the hallowpoint is jammed against the ramp in this case because there is space behind cartridge. The slide looks like it never started moving forward, like the way it opens after the last round in the mag is fired.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    the slide locks back with a round still in the magazine? Is the unfired round just laying on top of the magazine? FTF like those would lead me to believe the magazine is the culprit.

of course only using the wally world fmj is a solution if you only ever target/plink

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    The unfired round was half out of the mag with the front part resting on the ramp. I think the ammo was too powerful but a different spring could solve the problem. If it were a magazine problem, I wouldn't expect the problem to be limited to Federal 9BPLE, which was produced as a high powered Police ammo. I may just pick up one of those $7.50 mags though -- you could be right.

My P6 also works fine with Magtech JHP, which is for self defense. But I keep a revolver for home protection.

Last edited:

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    It's the magazine springs that need to get replaced. The hot rounds are throwing the slide back so fast the magazine spring doesn't have time to load another round and on the return it starts to load the round before it's all the way up.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    When you get this malfunction, is the round pressed hard into the feed ramp?

Are they old magazines?

So it only happens with hollowpoints?

Eliminate variables and you will come to the solution. With the small info I have, I suspect your gun either doesn't like JHP or needs a new magazine spring.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    Is the round pressed hard into the feed ramp?

No

Are they old magazines?

Yes

So it only happens with hollowpoints?

Not all hollowpoints

crabhab

Feb 14, 2007
    It's the magazine springs that need to get replaced. The hot rounds are throwing the slide back so fast the magazine spring doesn't have time to load another round and on the return it starts to load the round before it's all the way up.

+1 for this I have a P6 marked 8/82 I had two old mags that came with it and I bought 2 new ones from sig. When shooting hot loads the gun would do the same thing with the old mags lock back as if an empty mag. When using the new magazines I had no problem at all.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    According to this article (from a Google search,http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...htm+slide+locks+back&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us), the problem could be due to the nose of the bullet (large diameter nosed like the hollowpoints) bumping against the slide release and engaging it. The other possible cause is your left hand bumping the slide release.

Or from the FiringLine Forum (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...8+slide+locks+back&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=us): "First, make sure that you are not accidentally locking the slide back. Keep your thumb down out of the way and see what happens.

If that is not the problem, it could be either the slide stop spring and plunger not working right or the slide stop angle wrong. Or it could be that the internal part of the slide stop is too long and is being contacted by the bullets in the magazine; this is most likely with some handloads or oddly shaped bullets. "

Mt guess is that the large, odd shape of this particular type of hollowpoint is bumping against slide release and engaging it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom