• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owldo

Ultimate Member
    Let me hear from those who own smaller revolvers for these purposes and the discussion should not be restricted at the two I'm looking at for possibilities the Ruger LCRx and the Taurus Defender 856.

Thank you in advance?
    Always loved the Ruger SP101 hammerless .357 ...

1.jpg

CurlyDave

May 29, 2015
    Oregon
    Anyone have any experience with the Kimber K6?

Handled one a while back... felt solid and well made, holds 6 rounds of .357 in the same size as a J frame.

I don't need one, but I was very tempted to get it.
    I went to the range a few times with a guy who had one. He bought it and never fired it, for well over a year. When we tried it with .38s it locked up after every shot. Cylinder just would not turn. After much manipulation and fiddling, we could get the cylinder open. Tried 6 new rounds, checked cylinder rotation before firing anything.

It locked up again after 1 round. When he took it back to the store he bought it from, ownership had changed. No returns, and he was on his own for warranty. Only a sample of one, but not confidence inspiring...

My LCR fired all the .38s the Kimber balked on without a hitch.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I went to the range a few times with a guy who had one. He bought it and never fired it, for well over a year. When we tried it with .38s it locked up after every shot. Cylinder just would not turn. After much manipulation and fiddling, we could get the cylinder open. Tried 6 new rounds, checked cylinder rotation before firing anything.

It locked up again after 1 round. When he took it back to the store he bought it from, ownership had changed. No returns, and he was on his own for warranty. Only a sample of one, but not confidence inspiring...

My LCR fired all the .38s the Kimber balked on without a hitch.

Interesting. I wonder if it's a common problem.

I noticed that the chambers are recessed into the cylinder, meaning the case rims are not visible from the side when closed like on a Ruger or S&W.

Maybe the tolerances are a bit too tight and the cases expanded enough to press against the frame.

Did you ever hear what the issue was? Was it fixed or replaced?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    When you carry a back up, you bring another gun to the fight that most likely would never have been there in the first place.

You won't train weapon retention for 1 pistol, let alone 2 pistols, because you can't. People rarely if ever need a spare mag, let alone a whole other pistol.

No one has ever given a good, solid reason for ever carrying a back up.
    This is a spicy hot take that I think has a lot of merit, even if I'm undecided.

Personally, I've never even considered a pocket revolver because:
    1. AIWB/IWB is generally faster than pocket carry and conceals "good enough". If I have to pocket carry a P365, it's doable.
    2. A P365 is ten rounds of 9mm, and a pocket gun is like five rounds of 38 Special. That is a pretty substantial difference.
    3. I can shoot an OG P365 way better than your average pocket revolver because, frankly, I shoot a P365 better than most full-sized double-action revolvers. Doubly-so if I put an optic on said P365. I would wager this is true of most people.
    4. Reloads "on the clock" with a pocket revolver are somewhat unlikely. They're at least a possibility with a P365.
    5. If your revolver breaks, it's dead-lined. Semi-autos sometimes at least go to single-shot mode.

I could entertain a pocket revolver for a socially (not legally) NPE where I really really did not want to get made and had no reason to expect trouble. But that's about it.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Semis are better. I typically carry them. But since OP asked about revolvers, I won't try to talk him out of them. I'll answer his questions by offering what information I have and let him chew on it.

Those are velocity numbers off the box that you are citing. If you have a 9 124gr load that does well over 1100 in a 3" or less barrel and doesn't muzzle blast, I would be interested to try it and would post the radar chrono results. While I won't argue that a semi is better, do keep in mind that what's on the box ain't what actually happens with most loads, especially in short barrels. When I was testing some stuff in a friend's LC9, the 115s that normally hit 1220-1250 in my glock 19 and 1500-1520 in my PCC were barely getting to 1100 (and with plenty of muzzle signature).

Temp mid thirties, glock 19 is spitting 124 out 1103 avg. Glock 34 ups that to just under 1150. I've cranked 147 SXT and Silvertip (handloads) up to 1180 (no I won't post the load) in the glock 19. When tested, they don't really work any better than they do at 1000.

Actually no, I was not quoting "off of the box."

Search any gel test. I was looking at numbers just North of 1100, and I rounded down a little. So what?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Actually no, I was not quoting "off of the box."

Search any gel test. I was looking at numbers just North of 1100, and I rounded down a little. So what?
    I ask d what load YOU had that tested over 1100 in the lc9 and didn't have a nasty muzzle signature.

In the interests of finding out, I asked some guys I know who good chronos. Only one has an lc9 and had actually tested anything. His results with 124 nato ball (wcc loaded) averaged 1074 and had pretty nasty flash. Not as bad as a 357 with a two inch, Im sure, but from his description, it's pretty bad compared to a 5" gun.

CurlyDave

May 29, 2015
    Oregon
    Interesting. I wonder if it's a common problem.

I noticed that the chambers are recessed into the cylinder, meaning the case rims are not visible from the side when closed like on a Ruger or S&W.

Maybe the tolerances are a bit too tight and the cases expanded enough to press against the frame.

Did you ever hear what the issue was? Was it fixed or replaced?
    I never heard the resolution. He had some non-related personal problems and moved to another state for employment reasons.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Let me hear from those who own smaller revolvers for these purposes and the discussion should not be restricted at the two I'm looking at for possibilities the Ruger LCRx and the Taurus Defender 856.

Thank you in advance?
    For this purpose, the "x" on the LCR seems unnecessary

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Also, I used to be a revolver guy until I got serious about carrying. I've shared this pic a few times...are we sick of it yet? 5rnds of .38 on top of 12+1 of 9mm. The auto is slimmer, too. Maybe one of these days I need to put it in the standard grip, so it's even smaller (yet still double the revolver's capacity).

LCR vs 365x.jpeg

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Also, I used to be a revolver guy until I got serious about carrying. I've shared this pic a few times...are we sick of it yet? 5rnds of .38 on top of 12+1 of 9mm. The auto is slimmer, too. Maybe one of these days I need to put it in the standard grip, so it's even smaller (yet still double the revolver's capacity).

View attachment 401898
    Yep. Small revolvers just aren't that small. Yes, they are shaped differently, but an LCR like yours is damned near the size of a Glock 19.

I briefly tried a J frame for pocket carry and quickly gave that up.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yep. Small revolvers just aren't that small. Yes, they are shaped differently, but an LCR like yours is damned near the size of a Glock 19.

I briefly tried a J frame for pocket carry and quickly gave that up.
    Hey, quit kicking me in the j frame! You already threatened to shoot me in the nutz in June. This is assault and I need my safe space!

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have a 357 LCR I carry on occasion and feel safe with it. I have a 640 also but prefer the LCR.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Hey, quit kicking me in the j frame! You already threatened to shoot me in the nutz in June. This is assault and I need my safe space!
    I envy (not kidding) those who can carry and use them well. But, "Man's got to know his limitations", and I recognize that as much as I love the look and the history of J frames, they aren't for me.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I envy (not kidding) those who can carry and use them well. But, "Man's got to know his limitations", and I recognize that as much as I love the look and the history of J frames, they aren't for me.
    Used to work with a guy who could drill alphas and charlies from 50yds with his 649. With 158gr 357.

I'm definitely going to do better with 15rounds of 9x19 in my glock 19 but the J frame with boot grips hides well when I tell family I'm not packing, etc. I still haven't bought a 43/43x/shield/p365/etc. I may this coming year. Won't say that a wheelgun is better than the new micro compact semis because it isn't. If OP tried both, I'm sure he will make the right choice for his needs.

In the early 2002 when I was a rookie police officer my department only allowed off duty carry to be your duty weapon (Glock 22), a Glock 27, or a 38 or 357 revolver. I have never been able to really shoot a G27 very well, so I started with a S&W Model 60. It was heavy, for a relatively small gun, being all steel but I really liked it due to the slightly larger grip than other J frames. A bunch of us ended up getting a group deal on S&W 637s which were much lighter and fit in our vest plate pockets or on a vest elastic band holster. I ended up loving that gun and using it on duty as a backup in my vest or on my boot and off duty as a pocket carry. It was a great gun.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I ask d what load YOU had that tested over 1100 in the lc9 and didn't have a nasty muzzle signature.

In the interests of finding out, I asked some guys I know who good chronos. Only one has an lc9 and had actually tested anything. His results with 124 nato ball (wcc loaded) averaged 1074 and had pretty nasty flash. Not as bad as a 357 with a two inch, Im sure, but from his description, it's pretty bad compared to a 5" gun.

No point arguing with a pedant seeking to prove their intelligence by bending the point I was making.

"Nasty muzzle signature".... Not really. A little, maybe. Then again, I was not night shooting my +P rounds. And If you want to be pedantic and start assuming anything about numbers you think someone just read off of a box, I suggest you ask someone at what elevation they were shooting, as well as temperature.

Mean velocity avg of a 9mm vs a .38 is a solid 100fps more, easily. That is really what is important here. Not nitpicking over a few fps between 9mm rounds when the point was about the vast average difference in velocity between .38 Snubbies and 9mm autos like the LC9.

But, as mentioned, I shot the LCRx better -- so there's that.

But don't take my word for it.

For some typical .38 numbers, 9:50 of this video. And his 9mm rounds weren't even as hot as I ran. I believe his elevation on the West coast is quite low, as well.

Last edited:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    There is a pistol for every season and every occasion. J-frame is fine for winter coat pocket while walking dog or whatever. Yes? Small size semi-auto for summer. Yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom