• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hlpdobro

Sep 23, 2006
    Frederick Co MD
    I'd recommend one of the compressors from Harbor Freight, especially for occasional use. I have one in the garage and one for the basement shop.

They are priced so it doesn't hurt the bank to buy a tad larger then you think you need.

And...They have a sale going on right now.

h

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Could you use one of those 12 volt compressors they sell to keep in your car? I've got one and it's about the size of a smoke detector.

Maybe two smoke detectors.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I'd recommend one of the compressors from Harbor Freight, especially for occasional use. I have one in the garage and one for the basement shop.

They are priced so it doesn't hurt the bank to buy a tad larger then you think you need.

And...They have a sale going on right now.

h

Looking for something really small, something like this. I just don't know if it's enough to replace air cans.

Could you use one of those 12 volt compressors they sell to keep in your car? I've got one and it's about the size of a smoke detector.

Maybe two smoke detectors.

Nah, looking for something I can plug into a 120v socket.

rnish

May 24, 2012
    XMAS sales are coming at Sears. You can get a nice portable 125 PSI 3 gal tank for about $100.00 (has a piston not a diaphragm).

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Buy bigger than what you think you may want.

I bought a small Lowes air compressor, it came with a couple accessory tools.

It is WAY to small, I can't even get a gun blown off without it having to kick on to build more pressure, incredibly loud too. Since it's got a small motor it takes awhile to build up pressure.

Go as big as you can afford and fit!!!!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To replace an air can, you probably need one with a storage tank.

Yes, get bigger, as you will eventually need it.

I just got a 5 HP 80 gallon vertical tank Ingersoll Rand.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Small is fine for air can replacement. Even the smallest has a bigger tank than one of those. Sears used to sell a small oil compressor. We have one at work to drag around the lab occassionally. Still a little loud but WAY better than any of the oilless ones.

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    I just bought a 3.5 gal pancake tank compressor from Home Depot - this one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...Compressor-PCFP02003/203254365?N=c27pZ1z0v5qk

I have been very happy with it. It is a little loud, but the tank refills pretty quickly. I have a pistol grip type blowgun, with a football needle inserted in the tip and use it at around 40 PSI output. Got it on sale for $79 from the Laurel store.
    This is a great little compressor. I have used mine for about 10 years now without any problems running finish nail and staple guns, air chucks, blower, and a cup type paint sprayer.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Buy a Senco mod 1010 I believe. It's a little dual tank compressor about 1 foot square unlike the cheapies, you can actually have a normal conversation while it is running. Very quiet with enough power to do most jobs around the home. I carry one for doing punchout, I even ran a framer with it.

Cost 110 to 130. You have to go to Senco dealer or online.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I just bought a 3.5 gal pancake tank compressor from Home Depot - this one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...Compressor-PCFP02003/203254365?N=c27pZ1z0v5qk

I have been very happy with it. It is a little loud, but the tank refills pretty quickly. I have a pistol grip type blowgun, with a football needle inserted in the tip and use it at around 40 PSI output. Got it on sale for $79 from the Laurel store.

loud but it always works. you can use it for other stuff too, from filling tires to roofing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A blower gives lots of air at low pressure.

A small tankless compressor will give you higher pressure, but VERY low flow.

Add a tank and you have higher pressure with enough flow to replace canned air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom