• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    uploadfromtaptalk1373332403621.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373332443164.jpg

Ok so how the hell do I use it properly? The scabbard is some garbage, so I will be making my own at some point.

Now it's "sword sharp" and I can thrust it into stuff really easily, haven't really tried chopping much. I may have to get a shield to match.... I have heard pool noodles can be fun targets.

Any suggestions on things I can read/watch for proper Viking-age martial arts? I know I don't have enough guys for a shield wall, maybe I can find some mushrooms in my yard and be a berserkr against some watermelons or something.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Dude you moved to Virginia and bought a sword??
    You're a free man now. You don't need a sword or mace or a Louisville slugger. A G19 is your friend. :D

...that's a cool sword.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Dude you moved to Virginia and bought a sword??
    You're a free man now. You don't need a sword or mace or a Louisville slugger. A G19 is your friend. :D

...that's a cool sword.

I have a G19! My first purchase here will be a S&W 442 or 642.

I dunno, I've always wanted a sword, and vikings were awesome. I'll post up pics of the scabbard project once I start. Thanks for the links guys!!!!

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    How do you use it properly...grow beard, secure a ship, sail to England and France, land, rape, pillage, burn, and then return home to your mead hall.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    That much like the Gladius is made for fighting in ranks. The Phalanx, Shield Wall etc. Not much to it thrust between the shields. Open sword combat is any number of disciplines that pretty much come back to the same few maneuvers. If you want a fun challenge set up a course of 8'x8' "gates" with pairs of rods between 2"-8" apart. Tie ribbons,ropes,whatever between the rods then clear the course almost like you would for IPSC. We used steel rods 2"apart with rope. We called it the steel challenge.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    First step is to get a lot of beer, next listen to Amon Amarth... The rest will work itself out.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    How do you use it properly...grow beard, secure a ship, sail to England and France, land, rape, pillage, burn, and then return home to your mead hall.

First step is to get a lot of beer, next listen to Amon Amarth... The rest will work itself out.

Well, that's the plan. I'm already a huge Amon Amarth fan (just got their new album, saw them twice in 2011), love beer and ale (have yet to try mead though), and can grow a beard lol.

If you really want to be a Viking, check this out:
    Longship Company. You have to have a Viking ship to be a real Viking.

If you want to learn how to use that sword check out:
    "Markland Midieval Mercenary Militia"

PM me if you are interested in more details.

That DOES seem interesting. I would really like to try my hand at blacksmithing and eventually bladesmithing... Let's see how my first scabbard turns out first.

A couple years ago, I happened across a suit of steel plate jousting armor that fit me PERFECTLY, and I could have had it for around $350-400.... but was flat broke. Really wish I could have come up with the cash for it but it was gone within a day (understandably). Now I know vikings didn't have plate steel armor (at least I think they didn't), but it would have been cool to have nonetheless!

Ragtopman

Feb 22, 2013
    Waldorf MD
    The Viking Ship Sae Hrafn will get underway next Sunday to pillage and plunder the lower Potomac River. Always looking for crew. Markland has several opportunities for people to beat on each other with swords and axes and such, and it is not just Viking Age, so plate armor works just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom