• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    So i've applied for my Florida CCW. I assume i'll acquire it as there's nothing in my past that would prevent it.

That said, i travel quite a bit for work. To many states where a FL CCW would be accepted. So for the folks on here that travel and have a ccw how do you handle this?

Some of my key points of interest are:
    • Do you take it with you all the time on all trips.
    • What do you do with it when you can't take it to a client/work site? (how do you secure it in a hotel)
    • Do you take it to the work place and not say anything about it?
    • Do you try to follow the policy of the place your going (company policy) on if they allow them on premises?
    • Pelican case to transport?
    • Does it add a abnormal amount of hassle to getting in and out of the airport? (i know the process overall but does that process usually run smooth)
    • Travel with rounds locked in the case as well?
    • anything else

Love to hear feedback on this one.

strube

Jul 5, 2009
    Baltimore
    I don't have all the answers but I want to bump this as I'm interested as well.

* Do you take it with you all the time on all trips.
    I would assume so.

* What do you do with it when you can't take it to a client/work site? (how do you secure it in a hotel)
    Most places have safes but I would guess that keeping it in your flying case would be decent as well.

* Do you take it to the work place and not say anything about it?
    Yes. Carry deep and your don't need to tell anyone.

* Do you try to follow the policy of the place your going (company policy) on if they allow them on premises?
    Your call but see above regarding carrying deep.

* Pelican case to transport?
    I don't know about this. I would love to hear recommendations from forum members on their flying cases since the requirements are pretty strict (two locks, etc)

* Does it add a abnormal amount of hassle to getting in and out of the airport? (i know the process overall but does that process usually run smooth)
    I don't have first hand knowledge but everything I've read has been no hassle providing the right case is used.

* Travel with rounds locked in the case as well?
    I don't know but see the case response.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    So i've applied for my Florida CCW. I assume i'll acquire it as there's nothing in my past that would prevent it.

That said, i travel quite a bit for work. To many states where a FL CCW would be accepted. So for the folks on here that travel and have a ccw how do you handle this?

Some of my key points of interest are:
    • What do you do with it when you can't take it to a client/work site? (how do you secure it in a hotel)
    • Do you take it to the work place and not say anything about it?
    • Do you try to follow the policy of the place your going (company policy) on if they allow them on premises?
    • Pelican case to transport?
    • Does it add a abnormal amount of hassle to getting in and out of the airport? (i know the process overall but does that process usually run smooth)
    • Travel with rounds locked in the case as well?
    • anything else

Love to hear feedback on this one.

I've only carried across state lines in a car, haven't flown with a pistol yet, so I can only hypothesize on that aspect.

When I carried, I'd carry to the work site and leave it in the car if I couldn't carry inside. The door map holder or center console worked best for me, YMMV, just make sure it's inconspicuous, you don't want to have to futz around with your trunk every morning, people will wonder.

My logic behind doing it this way is that:

(A) It's kinda pointless to carry only half the time (around the hotel and evenings). Why not carry during daylight hours, too, even if you can't carry inside the building?
    (B) you know someone's going to enter your hotel room while you're gone. I've had housekeeping ignore the "Do Not Disturb" sign plenty of times. I've never had anyone break into my car at a job site, though.
    (C) it depends on state laws, but my philosophy was that if I have a permit to carry and there isn't a posted sign saying otherwise, I could carry. I never asked anyone and nobody ever asked me.

A friend of mine always packs a starter pistol with his checked luggage, claiming that it's his insurance policy to make sure they never lose his bags because the airline will make damn sure they find his bag if there's a possibility of losing a firearm involved.

As for air travel, I think all major airlines have posted firearm transport policies on their websites. Looking those up should suit you well, but this (http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/PheasantPhacts/FlyingWithAGun/tabid/65/Default.aspx) seems to be pretty straightforward. Yes, it looks like you can keep both the unloaded firearm and ammunition in the same hard-sided (and locked) case, just as long as the ammunition is packed properly (manufacturer's box should suffice).

I am not a lawyer, but you already knew that, didn't you?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have flown out of BWI multiple times with a pistol, it's hassle free.

Only one lock required on the gun case. Ammo does not need to be locked, a sealed cardboard container is sufficient. Firearm must be unloaded, they will often check. No curbside check in, declare at the ticket counter, fill out form, check the bag with the TSA guy stating there is a firearm in the bag, follow his instructions. Go through security (DO NOT GO THROUGH SECURITY WITH YOUR GUN!!!), get on the plane... on the other side pick up your luggage just like normal.

# Do you take it with you all the time on all trips.

YES, When legal I take my gun. I always carry my CHL.

# What do you do with it when you can't take it to a client/work site? (how do you secure it in a hotel)

I lock it in the container and secure it in a drawer or leave it locked in the trunk of my rental vehicle.

# Do you take it to the work place and not say anything about it?

If there is no issue with me taking it there (no obviously posted signs or stated policy) then yes. No one needs to know I am carrying.

# Do you try to follow the policy of the place your going (company policy) on if they allow them on premises?

Usually, unless I had a damn good reason not to. My safety comes first, their policy, second.

# Pelican case to transport?

I use the case my gun was purchased with. Good enough to ship to my gun dealer, it's good enough to travel with. If you'd like a nicer case, go for it. As long as it meets the legal requirements.

# Does it add a abnormal amount of hassle to getting in and out of the airport?

Never hit a snag with it. You do have to go to the ticket counter, so at busy times of year that line can be a little long, but usually it goes smoothly.

# Travel with rounds locked in the case as well?

Sealed shipping container the rounds came in. I usually take a fairly minimal amount of ammo and no where near the allowed 11 lbs, so I usually take a fresh box of ammo, sealed with packing tape. This has not been a problem either.

# anything else

Nope.

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    I carry firearms on planes all the time. What case? the most secure one you are comfortable with - it is your firearm and your liability if it is damaged or stolen. I use pelican cases only and big keyed master locks to lock them.

Check each individual airlines rules. Some are more friendly than others. Most require it be unloaded and some require that ammo and gun be stored separately. Some place limits on the amount of ammo. Some require ammo to be in original factory boxes. I have carried LOTS of ammo in plastic cases (mtm case guard) no problem. Airline ARE NOT allowed to externally mark you baggage as including a firearm, but many will try. Be aware that the airline is not responsible for insuring that you aren't breaking the law where you land, so know if your gun is legal where you are taking it. I have heard horror stories.....

The basic jist is you have to declare at the ticketing/check-in gate that you have a firearm (do not say gun and avoid being inflammatory/loud or you'll be in for some body cavity search fun). They will direct you to a counter where you unlock your case, show the firearm is unloaded (actually, I have never been this thoroughly checked) and re-lock the case. It is as easy as that.

http://www.joehuffman.org/firearms/gunsplanes.htm

I would never leave my firearm in a hotel room. It travels locked inside the trunk of the rental car.

cega

BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2010
    For what it is worth I travel overseas several times each year and almost always have ammunition packed and often a gun as well. International gets a little more complicated as generally whatever country is the final destination will flag my passport (and put some sticky note kind of thing in it) identifying that I have brought a gun in. Upon leaving the country the local Customs officials confirm the the gun is leaving with me and pull the little sticky note thing from my passport.

As previously stated above, declaring at the ticket counter is required, as is the trip to the TSA screener in my experience. Generally an airline-assigned baggage guy accompanies me with the luggage. Be prepared to offer assistance as they struggle with your TSA-approved locks, seems to always be the case. Generally you will find a small slip of paper from TSA indicating that they have been in your bag.

I have been asked in the past to pack ammunition in separate luggage from the weapon, though not every time. Because of this I now always pack them separately just in case.

One other interesting thing - I have had on several occasions had German Customs, on my outbound legs, inspect my luggage since it is tagged as carrying a weapon and pull one round from a box of each ammunition type I'm carrying. No clue what for, no notice from German Customs other than the little slip of paper telling me that they had been in my bags.

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    For what it is worth I travel overseas several times each year and almost always have ammunition packed and often a gun as well. International gets a little more complicated as generally whatever country is the final destination will flag my passport (and put some sticky note kind of thing in it) identifying that I have brought a gun in. Upon leaving the country the local Customs officials confirm the the gun is leaving with me and pull the little sticky note thing from my passport.

As previously stated above, declaring at the ticket counter is required, as is the trip to the TSA screener in my experience. Generally an airline-assigned baggage guy accompanies me with the luggage. Be prepared to offer assistance as they struggle with your TSA-approved locks, seems to always be the case. Generally you will find a small slip of paper from TSA indicating that they have been in your bag.

I have been asked in the past to pack ammunition in separate luggage from the weapon, though not every time. Because of this I now always pack them separately just in case.

One other interesting thing - I have had on several occasions had German Customs, on my outbound legs, inspect my luggage since it is tagged as carrying a weapon and pull one round from a box of each ammunition type I'm carrying. No clue what for, no notice from German Customs other than the little slip of paper telling me that they had been in my bags.

TSA approved locks? NO! Unless that is a requirement for international travel. DO NOT use a TSA lock. NO ONE is allowed to open that case after you show it to TSA personnel and re-lock it. That is the whole point of the individual TSA inspection, before it goes on the plane.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    TSA approved locks? NO! Unless that is a requirement for international travel. DO NOT use a TSA lock. NO ONE is allowed to open that case after you show it to TSA personnel and re-lock it. That is the whole point of the individual TSA inspection, before it goes on the plane.

This.

See my link, above. In my google-fu, they are always explicit that only the owner can open the case.

cega

BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Interesting about the locks - Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss (all out of Dulles for whatever that is worth) have instructed me when I have called ahead of travel to "be sure to ONLY use TSA approved locks on your gun cases..." - the claim by the airlines is that it facilitates inspections all along the way. Next time I travel I'll try regular locks, with spare TSA locks on hand just in case, and report back.

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    Interesting about the locks - Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss (all out of Dulles for whatever that is worth) have instructed me when I have called ahead of travel to "be sure to ONLY use TSA approved locks on your gun cases..." - the claim by the airlines is that it facilitates inspections all along the way. Next time I travel I'll try regular locks, with spare TSA locks on hand just in case, and report back.

You may be right for international travel. I have never checked a gun internationally. For domestic travel, use the biggest padlock you can fit through the lock holes. If you have the cake, get those expensive pick proof locks.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    The actual checking process differs from airport to airport. Some have you take it to a TSA screening station so they can check that it is unloaded. Others, like LAX, have the TSA agent come to the baggage check-in counter. Either way, give yourself about 1/2 hour additional time.

Important note about the locks - if you use a TSA lock, don't expect to see your gun again. They are definitely not physically strong enough to resist prying. As for the number of locks, put a lock on each locking area (i.e. two for the Pelican 1700.) This prevents someone from prying up one end of the case and taking your gun out.

If you use a keyed Master lock (I do) then if someone needs to get into your gun case, they will contact you. Note that in the US, no one needs to get into it after TSA checks it (and they don't want the liability.) If you check it internationally, they won't need to inspect it until you arrive, and with the key in your hand, you are sure no one gets it before you claim your baggage.

Another note - rental cars are a bad place to leave a gun, especially the center console, as this is a common break in area. Luckily if I travel with one it's because I need it where I am going, but I would never leave a gun out of my care unless it was locked up at home.

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    This is great info here. I am flying to Florida in October and plan on taking my weapon with me so I can CC while I am there on vacation with my family.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    So i've applied for my Florida CCW. ... Some of my key points of interest are:

Just a couple of comments since you've already gotten several great replies. By the way I do have a FL CCW.

First, if you do decide to carry, make sure you keep your CCW permit with you at all times. That is required by FL law.

Second, in the event the company posts a "no firearms" sign, you cannot carry into the building. If you do and are caught, again you have violated the law.

I'm confident that other states have similar laws to FL. And if you violate them, at a minimum you'll lose your CCW permit and in the worst case will be arrested and face a felony firearms conviction.

Be safe, but do it right.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Second, in the event the company posts a "no firearms" sign, you cannot carry into the building. If you do and are caught, again you have violated the law.

I should clarify. I am of course talking about a posted sign, and not simply company policy. If it is posted, it is a matter of law. If policy, then you only have to deal with the company's business reactions to your actions.

By the way when traveling you might want to check out: http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx#?st=NC for quick summaries of handgun laws, http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html for FL's concealed carry reciprocity information, and of course the individual state websites for the authoritative and most current word on their respective laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom