• BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    It is a TGI built gun hence why it is so cheap. You get what you pay for. If you feel like dealing with Century-like quality with a possible defective gun right out of the box and then play the warranty game be my guest. I say this because I have posted numerous times on this board my story with TGI and the AK-74 I bought from them.

Also more than likely the ProMag that comes with it does not even work. With both AK-74's I got from TGI (the original one and fixed one) the magazine would not even feed a round in the chamber. I would ask for a surplus magazine and save yourself the hassle.

So to answer the OP's question, I would pass on this because the rifle here is complete crap. If you want a good AK-74 spend the extra money for an Arsenal built on an actual Russian receiver or custom built one or hell even a Lancaster (which is not much better but apparently their QC is somewhat more reliable).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Honestly, it's starting to sound like "convert a Saiga" is the best option for a decent quality AK-74. Buy a Saiga 5.45, get the Intrafuse stock set, Tapco G2 trigger, maybe the Tapco tri-rail handguard, new gas piston, bam, all set. Well, excepting the whole "pay a gunsmith to put it together", but that's always in the cards.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

garber38

Custom tailored ionizer
    Dec 27, 2006
    Somewhere in PA.
    So is TGI the Tennessee Gun ?. I read on a different forum that they are sticking to importing and not building. The Weffen Works will be doing the work. Most really liked the rifle. Is Lancaster a builder also.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So is TGI the Tennessee Gun?
    Yes.

I read on a different forum that they are sticking to importing and not building.
    I think you're referring to the FPK-AK based off the PSL-54c. But, to be an importer of "non-sporting" rifles, you've got to handle "building" in one fashion or the other, because you've got to get the rifles into compliance with 922(r).

Is Lancaster a builder also.
    Yes, and they have a fairly good reputation, too.

I priced it all out, and not including shipping, taxes, or gunsmithing, it looks like you could do a Saiga 5.45 conversion for a bit under $500. That's pretty reasonable for a gun that would seem to be more than comparable to a high-end Arsenal gun.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    group buy on 74's?

I think there is interest here for them, I keep reading posts from people who say "man I missed the AK buy i hope there is another one". Start one up and see what happens. If nobody wants in, shut it down, and try again later.:thumbsup:

I know of 5 different guns that people have been interested in with for group buys.

AK 47 WASRs wood furniture
    AK 47 Underfolders WASRs
    AK 47 Underfolders Lancaster Arms (nice ones)
    AK 54Rs
    AK 74s

M6HTZ

Nov 1, 2008
    Signal Mountain, TN
    My next gun will be an AK-74. I have been looking at doing the Saiga thing. You can buy a Saiga in 5.45 for 340 and spend another 175 to convert it.

I am also interested in the Classic Arms NEW ELK RIVER ARMS M74. Seems like a good deal if it is assembled by Elk River Arms. They want 449 for it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am also interested in the Classic Arms NEW ELK RIVER ARMS M74. Seems like a good deal if it is assembled by Elk River Arms. They want 449 for it.
    It's not assembled by them, or such is what I read them as saying. A group buy on Saiga 5.45s would interest me, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom