• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Another of my hobbies that I have not done in years is spearfishing.

Growing up in PR with limited funds. My gear consisted (ists) of a mask, speargun, snorkel and fins. I guess since I am an adult now I should get a wetsuit and stuff.

Anyone here spearfish? A friend of mine told me that there are a few areas that you can spearfish out here but he was not sure.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I spear fish, but that's only when I visit the relatives in Hawaii. Haven't done any here but did some in FL and the Bahamas. Having said that, I know that O.C. has/had a spearfishing club. Not sure if they are still active.

Rivera

Dec 26, 2009
    Que pasa Puertoro! I remember when I use to go spearfishing at El Escambron, la 8, el puente dos hermanos etc.... good old times Saludos de un Boricua en MD.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Que pasa Puertoro! I remember when I use to go spearfishing at El Escambron, la 8, el puente dos hermanos etc.... good old times Saludos de un Boricua en MD.

Yo arponeaba en Cerro Gordo, Punta Salinas y una vez me tire al frente de La Perla con up par de amigos pero vimos como 3 tiburones y nos fuimos.

Saludos de otro puertorro en MD.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Spear fishing around here? Southern Fl, for sure, Hawaii, yea, but this place? Where's the local reef population for that kind of effort? And can you get near them? As to wetsuits, definitely around here, in Key West I remember feeling myself sweat underwater. Also remember the barracuda being very curious. Bet PR is very similar.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Resurrecting this thread.

Video of my son spearing a Mahi off Ocean City.
    Curious if anyone else has Spearfished off OC recently.

Mrs Melnic was with us and insisted he be tethered.

Boat has GPS trolling motor so he dangled near a lobster pot buoy.
    Went Saturday and he took 3 fish.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjGlNeiqC2Q&feature=youtu.be

Very cool. How big a Mahi?

I saw someone spear fishing along the North rock wall at the Indian River inlet. That current gets crazy. Lucky for him, noone was fishing off the jetty at the time.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Not recently... but a few years back... I love the reaction when I tell people that I dive off the coast of OC... they think the water is murky all the way out... little do they know that it's gin clear a half mile out and the same lobster you get in Maine... are within swimming distance of the beach. My boat is set up for scuba diving and spearfishing, but not this year... I gotta heal up and try again next year.
    How far out were ya'...?
    Pretty cool video...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Very cool. How big a Mahi?

I saw someone spear fishing along the North rock wall at the Indian River inlet. That current gets crazy. Lucky for him, noone was fishing off the jetty at the time.

We were about 22miles out of the OC inlet for that video.
    Mahi were only about 24" but we got a meal out of the ones he came in with.

We could have caught more just bailing for them but this is something he wanted to try.

Here is another clip where he missed a Mahi and then as he was about to reload a Jack came close and he just speared by hand at about the 0:20 mark.

Apple, we are gonna need to trade notes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom