• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I got clipped coming off 795 onto 695 doing 70 in a 55. Saw the flash and waited for my $40 ticket to arrive in the mail.

The envelope came yesterday and inside......was a WARNING instead of a ticket!

I admit that I am still stunned.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Sometimes they do that after they have just installed a new one for a week or two but I believe the one you are referring to has been there for a while due to the construction. Count your blessings! I typically drive 5mph over the limit to avoid getting rear-ended but it appears some new cameras trigger at even 1mph over...which I find astonishingly ignorant.

I use a foolproof method of avoiding speeding tickets, it works flawlessly.....................................................................................................................................use your cruise control, DON'T SPEED!

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    I use a foolproof method of avoiding speeding tickets, it works flawlessly.....................................................................................................................................use your cruise control, DON'T SPEED!

That works great where there aren't any other cars!

Otherwise, there's a speed envelope where you will usually be safe.

70 in a 55 is making it easy for a hit, prevailing traffic or not.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

That's so precious!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Just send them a check for $40, you'll feel better about yourself.:lol2:

That works great where there aren't any other cars!

Otherwise, there's a speed envelope where you will usually be safe.

70 in a 55 is making it easy for a hit, prevailing traffic or not.

That's so precious!

I'm a retired LEO. After 27 years of driving literally millions of miles, I consider myself fairly experienced with traffic. You may take my advice or you can pay your traffic fines, I don't care personally. As for you K31, kiss my crusty old cop a$$.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There should be no speed limits. As a driver, you should be able to drive at a speed where you feel comfortable. If you have an accident you would be responsible just like you are now. What would be the difference? Other than a couple hundred more accidents every day with possible loss of life. But other than that, what's wrong with my proposal?

Jim Smith

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County

Except that half the time those speed cameras are all messed up and give you ticket whether you speed or not.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    There should be no speed limits. As a driver, you should be able to drive at a speed where you feel comfortable. If you have an accident you would be responsible just like you are now. What would be the difference? Other than a couple hundred more accidents every day with possible loss of life. But other than that, what's wrong with my proposal?

Jim Smith

We value the children who live in our neighborhood. We have speed limits because of mostly young males still living with their mommies and daddies who are not responsible and who stupidly speed up and down the street because they believe that they have the experience and skills to handle a 2 ton vehicle traveling at 50 miles an hour on a street where many cars are parked on the road.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    My rule of the road: drive with the "herd."

When in a group of cars, keep your speed the same as everyone else. It's safer -- and no radar-toting Smokey will be able to detect/ticket all/any. And -- if there is a speed camera or Smokey -- the herd will adjust the speed accordingly.

When driving alone (no herd), use cruise control.

Finally, a plug for Waze (www.waze.com), a smartphone app that's the best GPS navigation system out there -- and it has dynamic, real-time traffic/accident/speed camera and police trap monitoring. Highly recommended!!

My $0.02...

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Except that half the time those speed cameras are all messed up and give you ticket whether you speed or not.

This.

I just paid my 40 bucks for a ticket on (I think) Norbeck Rd coming back from Engage the other day. School zone in the rain. I watched the camera shoot EVERY SINGLE CAR in front of me. We are all spaced rather nicely due to it being the middle of the day and the weather. I saw the speed limit sign, looked at my speedo, looked at my GPS. I had two references saying I was going exactly the school zone speed limit and I still got a ticket for going 15mph over.

So spend half a day or more going to the courthouse and lose that income or pay the $40 and forget about it? The point of those cameras is to get enough revenue from individuals that it's worth having the equipment out on the road but not so much that it's worth fighting it. Of course that and the intel gained from snapping a pic of every car that drives by but that's another thread...

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    This.

I just paid my 40 bucks for a ticket on (I think) Norbeck Rd coming back from Engage the other day. School zone in the rain. I watched the camera shoot EVERY SINGLE CAR in front of me. We are all spaced rather nicely due to it being the middle of the day and the weather. I saw the speed limit sign, looked at my speedo, looked at my GPS. I had two references saying I was going exactly the school zone speed limit and I still got a ticket for going 15mph over.

So spend half a day or more going to the courthouse and lose that income or pay the $40 and forget about it? The point of those cameras is to get enough revenue from individuals that it's worth having the equipment out on the road but not so much that it's worth fighting it. Of course that and the intel gained from snapping a pic of every car that drives by but that's another thread...

Yeah, I went for a walk last night and watched the camera on 124n just south of 108 happily flashing off photos of squirrels, voices in its electronic head, phantoms, and God knows what else. It went off every few seconds whether a car was present or not.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Yeah, I went for a walk last night and watched the camera on 124n just south of 108 happily flashing off photos of squirrels, voices in its electronic head, phantoms, and God knows what else. It went off every few seconds whether a car was present or not.

Must have been all those ghost guns cars.

I always go at least 5mph under the speed limit past those cameras - just to annoy anyone behind me. If the residents of that area don't like it, they can patition their representative to get rid of the camera or increase the speed limit...

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.

On the motorcycle, this method can get you killed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom