• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    Ouch.. just dropped $1.4K on ammo and a gun today.. I think marriage is over. Oh well, 2A is more important! Truth, marriage has been over.. :rolleyes:

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Dude I'm looking at crap in my townhouse to pawn for .22LR uppers, .22LR bricks, Remington 740 upgrades and .223 rounds!

You're not alone. I've almost spent as much on 2A stuff as I did putting a new clutch and suspension in my friggin car!

When the dead rise or Canada invades it'll be worth it!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You did well. Pretty soon, $1.4K will only buy you a 10/22 carbine and a brick of target-grade 22LR. :)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I love my wife. Told her I was going to spend around $2k on guns this year and her reply was "as long as the AC to the house gets fixed, I don't care". AC is going to be around $1k and not a big deal. She already knew it wasn't a big deal anyway. Had the condenser and A-coil ready to go last year, but fall got here before I could get around to running the coolant lines and getting somebody to charge the system so I pushed it off to this spring.

She continually finds me perusing gun manufacturer sites looking for what I want and she does not care.

Ultimately, I think she trusts me not to spend money we don't have.

fyi - it will suck to have to pay an attorney for the divorce. After the entire gun purchasing frenzy is over, try to make it up to your wives if the marriage is worth saving.

If my wife wasn't sound asleep right now, I'd go and give her another hug for putting up with me.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Dude I'm looking at crap in my townhouse to pawn for .22LR uppers, .22LR bricks, Remington 740 upgrades and .223 rounds!

You're not alone. I've almost spent as much on 2A stuff as I did putting a new clutch and suspension in my friggin car!

When the dead rise or Canada invades it'll be worth it!

Why are you worried about buying a .22lr upper right now at inflated prices or even .22lr ammo? I could understand it if you NEED them, but neither of them are going to be banned under SB281. You can buy as many uppers and AR parts as you want even after SB281 gets passed, just no more lowers or complete AR's.

I don't even bother looking for ammo right now. Just shoot my shotguns instead. This time next year, there will be plenty of ammo on the shelves and I have enough to last me until then for anything that is absolutely necessary.

Passed on a ridiculously expensive AR lower just this evening. I can wait. AR prices will come down too across the nation as the federal ban goes away.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Your first post was misleading. "$1.4k on ammo and a gun."

3 guns, now that is way more reasonable. Not saying that $1,400 for a gun is unreasonable to me. Lord knows I have spent more than that for several of mine, but to people that do not understand this stuff (e.g., my wife, your wife), it takes some time to get them accustomed to it. My wife had a stroke when she found out a carbon fiber bike frame, without components, is $3k. She had another stroke when she found out that a Beretta o/u clays gun is $4k. Her father had a stroke when he found out that a diesel F350 costs $60k and that an Expedition we are looking at costs $55k. Wish I had a video camera on me while we were at the Ford dealer picking up a part I needed for my truck while we were in Florida. His reaction was quite hilarious. Don't even get me started about the chainsaws and other tools.

Same goes for when my wife, a pharmacist, tells me what some of these prescription drugs cost. Finding out about how much Coach purses and scrap booking stuff cost was also an eye opener for me.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Why are you worried about buying a .22lr upper right now at inflated prices or even .22lr ammo? I could understand it if you NEED them, but neither of them are going to be banned under SB281. You can buy as many uppers and AR parts as you want even after SB281 gets passed, just no more lowers or complete AR's.

I don't even bother looking for ammo right now. Just shoot my shotguns instead. This time next year, there will be plenty of ammo on the shelves and I have enough to last me until then for anything that is absolutely necessary.

Passed on a ridiculously expensive AR lower just this evening. I can wait. AR prices will come down too across the nation as the federal ban goes away.

I've got the lowers so I ain't sweating the ban :D What I don't like is not being able to shoot 500 rounds every sunday. That's my version of "church". These damn infowars people bought up all my .22LR :lol2:

circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    You guys really need to get your wives into shooting! Although then you'll just end up spending even more.

After dropping a hefty chunk of change on a few new guns and lots of magazines and ammo over the past couple months, my husband and I declared we would make no new gun purchases for a while. We quickly realized our folly and changed that declaration to no new HUGE gun purchases* for a while. :D

*Not that there's anything left out there to buy.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    I love my wife. Told her I was going to spend around $2k on guns this year and her reply was "as long as the AC to the house gets fixed, I don't care". AC is going to be around $1k and not a big deal. She already knew it wasn't a big deal anyway. Had the condenser and A-coil ready to go last year, but fall got here before I could get around to running the coolant lines and getting somebody to charge the system so I pushed it off to this spring.

She continually finds me perusing gun manufacturer sites looking for what I want and she does not care.

Ultimately, I think she trusts me not to spend money we don't have.

fyi - it will suck to have to pay an attorney for the divorce. After the entire gun purchasing frenzy is over, try to make it up to your wives if the marriage is worth saving.

If my wife wasn't sound asleep right now, I'd go and give her another hug for putting up with me.

GO HUG HER EVEN IF SHE IS ASLEEP LET HER KNOW YOU CARE GO GO GO

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think that my wife thinks I don't need any more guns, so when I start talking about the idea of getting a new gun, she gets visibly tense, but only because she knows that guns tend to be somewhat costly, and she doesn't like the idea of larger expendatures that aren't for the house or kids.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think that my wife thinks I don't need any more guns, so when I start talking about the idea of getting a new gun, she gets visibly tense, but only because she knows that guns tend to be somewhat costly, and she doesn't like the idea of larger expendatures that aren't for the house or kids.

It all boils down to affordability. Again, if my wife and I did not have the money sitting around, then I would not be buying the guns. Putting off a new chainsaw purchase as a result of this, but didn't really need the new chainsaw since I have two Stihls that are only 2 years old. The chainsaw was going to be another toy too.

Seriously, if we had unlimited funds, I would have a collection of firearms that would require a huge secure room. Probably one of every modern handgun from several different manufacturers, one of every current product in Beretta and Benelli's lineup, and a heck of a lot of AR's in different configurations. However, money is always an issue because there is always so much more one can buy for anything they are interested in.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Like I tell my girlfriend, it's not just buying a gun, it's an investment. All of my firearms could probably be sold for at least what I paid for them if not more (I can be very selective with some of my purchases... I wait until I find a great deal, snag it, and then sit on it). Even the ones I bought almost ten years ago were worth what I paid for them before this panic hit (now I could let them go at a profit, though I have no intention of doing so).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Like I tell my girlfriend, it's not just buying a gun, it's an investment. All of my firearms could probably be sold for at least what I paid for them if not more (I can be very selective with some of my purchases... I wait until I find a great deal, snag it, and then sit on it). Even the ones I bought almost ten years ago were worth what I paid for them before this panic hit (now I could let them go at a profit, though I have no intention of doing so).

And therein lies your problem. They aren't investments. Kind of like if my wife were to say her engagement ring and wedding ring are investments. Not really, because she will never have any desire to sell them.

Only time my firearms will be getting sold is at a bankruptcy or estate sale. Don't see the former happening, but who knows. The latter is only a matter of time.

The investment argument is akin to clients of mine telling me their residence is their retirement investment. I know all too well that most people in their later years have no desire to leave the place they have called home for 20+ years and raised their kids in, but try telling them that when they just bought it and they are not saving for retirement because of the mortgage payment. It does not go over well and they are always completely sure they will sell and downsize in retirement. Heck, I keep telling my wife that if the kids do not stay around here, we are downsizing and moving to a less costly place to live. Time will tell how those intentions work out. Saving for retirement though just in case we decide to stay put and not downsize.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    And therein lies your problem. They aren't investments. Kind of like if my wife were to say her engagement ring and wedding ring are investments. Not really, because she will never have any desire to sell them.

Only time my firearms will be getting sold is at a bankruptcy or estate sale. Don't see the former happening, but who knows. The latter is only a matter of time.

The investment argument is akin to clients of mine telling me their residence is their retirement investment. I know all too well that most people in their later years have no desire to leave the place they have called home for 20+ years and raised their kids in, but try telling them that when they just bought it and they are not saving for retirement because of the mortgage payment. It does not go over well and they are always completely sure they will sell and downsize in retirement. Heck, I keep telling my wife that if the kids do not stay around here, we are downsizing and moving to a less costly place to live. Time will tell how those intentions work out. Saving for retirement though just in case we decide to stay put and not downsize.

I should have phrased that "though as of this moment, I have no intention of doing so." My current collection is quite a bit smaller than it used to be. A few years back I was hit with a hospital bill that exceeded my funds, which resulted in me having to sell a bunch of "excess/luxury" items. I sold off a good amount of stuff (courtesy of one of my old gun forums, where I put a "Help me!" add in the classifieds and had most of my stuff, gun and non-gun, sold off within 24 hours, man I miss those guys), and several firearms were among what I sold. While I don't like the idea of selling any of my firearms (and I do indeed miss some of the ones I sold), I also realize that if it came down to it I'd sell a few to cover rent, food, bills, etc. if my other options were exhausted. They may be towards the end of the list of things I'd sell, but they're still on it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I should have phrased that "though as of this moment, I have no intention of doing so." My current collection is quite a bit smaller than it used to be. A few years back I was hit with a hospital bill that exceeded my funds, which resulted in me having to sell a bunch of "excess/luxury" items. I sold off a good amount of stuff (courtesy of one of my old gun forums, where I put a "Help me!" add in the classifieds and had most of my stuff, gun and non-gun, sold off within 24 hours, man I miss those guys), and several firearms were among what I sold. While I don't like the idea of selling any of my firearms (and I do indeed miss some of the ones I sold), I also realize that if it came down to it I'd sell a few to cover rent, food, bills, etc. if my other options were exhausted. They may be towards the end of the list of things I'd sell, but they're still on it.

Fair enough. I have yet to sell a gun and would really, really, really hate to do so. If I had to, I could find a couple that I could part with. If I were in a pinch, I have no idea what I would end up selling first of mine. I would hate to part with anything I have.

So, if you are actually willing to part with them to pay the bills, then you can validly make the argument that they are investments. I also agree with you that they tend to hold their value, if not rise in value. Going to try to make that argument to my wife about a Ferrari. lol Maybe start with a vintage Stang that needs some work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom