• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about spotting scopes, a little more about rifle scopes, but I know quite a bit about astronomical scopes, and I would put a Celestron up against any telescope for its size.

So, while I was at OpticsPlanet today, I saw this:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestr...e-52268-op-90mm-spotting-scope-with-trip.html

It's a Celestron Maksutov 90mm spotting scope for $154.99, and I thought that, if it is ANYTHING like Celestron makes their telescopes, this is a steal.

Anyway, take it for what its worth.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Maybe. I saw a spotting scope by a pretty well regarded maker on SG or CTD, I can't remember which, for >$200 so I went to the manufacture's website and searched for the model number. Not finding it, I sent them and email and they said that those were specially made for certain retailers. I'm thinking it may have just been that they used the company name and they were on ChiCom spotting scopes.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    This one is a refractor (as opposed to reflector). Only 80mm, but also Celestron, tripoid included.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestr...-scope-package-52250-op-ultima-80-spotti.html

I guess at this price, they could be imported too. That's definitely something to consider.

Edit: I checked Celestron's web site and they are selling the 80mm refractor at $60 more than Optics Planet. But the manual on the scope said "Printed in China." If they print the manual there, then the scope is probably (at the very least) assembled there, if not completely made there. The units almost certainly match the company specs (Celestron is based in Torrence, CA), and they are warranted by the company.

Last edited:

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    If it's got a Celestron brand on it, I'd count on it, made in China or not. Celestron isn't gonna squander their rep on cheap crap. If I were in the scope market I'd be very tempted by this. thanks!

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    I was thinking something like that. If it's Celestron's specs, then the quality control should be pretty good, even in China.

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    I have a Konous that was recomended as the best budget SS for long range shooting. Dont know if they still make them.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'd be a little worried about the eye relief. 12-18mm seems kinda tight. I found when using spotting scopes in hi power the thing I hate the most is having to get right on the scope to have a decent field of view.

Hmmmmm. That's a point. I get sick of having to take my glasses off to see much through my Bushnell.

I was looking at Rich's Konus up at Thurmont . I think it's this one:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-7116.html

I thought it was slightly better than mine, but I want more than just "slightly better."

I'll be looking at other people's scopes again on Sunday, I guess.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I read through the thread that Nanook linked back to. It appears long eye relief is mainly a big dollar scope feature. To get better than the Konus, you need to spend KOWA money.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I read through the thread that Nanook linked back to. It appears long eye relief is mainly a big dollar scope feature. To get better than the Konus, you need to spend KOWA money.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.

I don't see that happening anytime soon. Especially since I was figuring to spring for a Freeland stand to go with it.

That reminds me, I need to go empty the coffee can that's catching the drip from my water heater...

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    With my Konus and safety glasses at 600, I can see my target and at least one on each side. Without glasses, I can see more as my eye gets closer to the lens.

There are other, better scopes out there. I personally chose to spend the extra $800 or so on other things. Oh, and it's pretty much water-tight.

Good luck with whatever you go with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom