• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Within a reasonably short driving distance of Annapolis I need a standard bare bones Ruger 10/22 with wood stock and blued finish as a Christmas gift for our niece.

Please PM with price. Thanks. :)

The Gun Shop in Essex has one. I was there today.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Cabela's has the takedown on Black Friday for $280.

It occurred to me that you could make different takedown variation stocks looking at the one today. It would be cool to have a wood stocked variant...

Several pics out there of people who've incorporated folding and other tactical style stocks. Almost like a .22 AR that breaks into 2 pieces....wait a minute!

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Good choice OP.

Thanks. This gun is for a tall 10 year old girl. She got her first BB gun last Christmas which she outgrew in no time. I thought about getting her a youth model .22 like a Cricket, but as fast as she is growing she would probably only get a year or two out of that at most. I think she is tall enough she can handle a 10/22 and grow into it.

Plus if she gets bored, discovers boys, and doesn't stick with shooting......well........ahem.....ummm...... 10/22s can be fun guns for uncles too.....:innocent0

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    A Cricket is way too small for a tall 10-year old. Get a 10/22 carbine at a minimum. It's got a short stock and should fit her really well. Only weighs 5lbs and recoil is nothing.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Boom Boom, yeah you just posted what I was looking at on the Ruger website. It appears what Ruger refers to as a "carbine" is what all of us consider to be your basic standard 10/22, 18.5" barrel and 13.5 length of pull.

The "compact" has 12.75" length of pull with a 16" barrel.

For my purposes, since this is a tall kid that has had some exposure to shooting, I might as well get her the standard "carbine" that she can grow into and shoot for a lifetime. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom