• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    US military stock finishes/refinishes. These two photos show an M1-A with Springfield's standard BLO finish (matte brown), a CMP Service Grade with original finish (likely BLO, all cartouches were sanded off in service so this is whatever the military did to it over it's lifetime), James River 03A3 (the nasty James River BLO and pigment stain removed then redone with brown dye and pure tung oil, many coats then waxed) and a CMP Special Grade with new production stock (nasty CMP BLO and pigment stain removed, red brown dye to replicate the WWII era red oxidized look and a furniture grade modified oil finish). MDS standard issue boot toe in grungy black Kiwi finish. :D

Attachments

• IMG_3380.jpg
      IMG_3380.jpg
      95.5 KB · Views: 561
    • IMG_3385.jpg
      IMG_3385.jpg
      114 KB · Views: 601

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Detail views of the CMP Special Grade finish. Not to everyone's taste but my rifle, my choice.

Attachments

• IMG_3328.jpg
      IMG_3328.jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 426
    • IMG_3330.jpg
      IMG_3330.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 486
    • IMG_3331.jpg
      IMG_3331.jpg
      99.5 KB · Views: 576
    • IMG_3335.jpg
      IMG_3335.jpg
      108.4 KB · Views: 595
    • IMG_3338.jpg
      IMG_3338.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 576

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Good color and character.

And a big shout out to: Your Rifle-Your Choice.

:thumbsup:

If it had been a collector's orgasm stock I'd have sold it for $$$ and replaced it. The new production stocks all use steamed walnut and that renders it kind of gray and lifeless, they do it because a good portion of the sapwood will darken to match the now de-intensified heartwood. The figure in the wood deserved a better finish and BLO is a very inferior finish to start with (one of the least desirable and least protective finishes for fine wood working in fact). They used BLO on the originals because it was cheap, available and easy, also easy to repair by just rubbing more on. Any monkey can rub BLO on, rub off the excess and let it cure. Tung oil is almost as easy but at the time it came from China only and the supply lines were not secure and it was more expensive.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Here's a few more for reference.
    M1A several coats of BLO
    SG Garand GI stock that cleaned the dirt off of and oiled a little w/BLO
    Special grade Garand. No stain. 2 coats of BLO(only 2 weeks old)
    SG Garand w/new Birch stock. Several coats BLO over several years. This has darkened a lot over time.
    5d0270314b78a13bd5f36687870e05a3.jpg

6b4321d72f0aa3a2a64816f463a80b82.jpg

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Just for grins here is a view of the differences in metal
    Finish. Pic doesn't show well. All four different from each other.
    294dd41f24a151a595dfc1be777a7ab8.jpg

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Actually that wood grain really looks nice due to it's enhancement by the red dye.

It looks better than the photos show, the flash glare hides a bit. One sunny day I'll take it outside and snap a few more pics.

SG Garand w/new Birch stock. Several coats BLO over several years. This has darkened a lot over time.

Cherry, birch and maple will do that under oil based finishes without UV blockers. It's a photochromic reaction. Cherry gets darker and redder. Maple usually gets golden. Birch tends to golden brown, sometimes reddish brown.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    It looks better than the photos show, the flash glare hides a bit. One sunny day I'll take it outside and snap a few more pics.

Cherry, birch and maple will do that under oil based finishes without UV blockers. It's a photochromic reaction. Cherry gets darker and redder. Maple usually gets golden. Birch tends to golden brown, sometimes reddish brown.

That's what I've read. I'm not complaining. It was bright pumpkin orange when I got it. I'm really starting to like it now.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    This is not the best picture but it is a picture of how I received the stocks from CMP. I need to oil them but I have done nothing to them yet.

Now I have a ton of USGI M14 stocks and most of them are in need of refinishing but have great wood.

Here is one that I recently finished and is listed for sale. This is done with many coats of teak oil and a couple of applications of wax. Different look but pretty.

not refinished

not refinished

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    was GI wood dyed? I was under the impression the GI wood color came from oxidation of the oils. Are people dying the wood for aesthetics? To match/approximate a "look"?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    was GI wood dyed? I was under the impression the GI wood color came from oxidation of the oils. Are people dying the wood for aesthetics? To match/approximate a "look"?

I've done it for aesthetics on a couple of guns. I think the US just dipped them in a big vat of raw linseed or tung oil.

I have used Fiebings in the past but on some woods it will give a purple tint...

Yes, I stained a birch CMP stock with a mix of medium brown and mahogany Fiebings. It definitely had a bit of a purple cast to it, especially in strong sunlight.

But now several years later it has completely lost the purple and is a very nice brown walnut color. Walnut colored flame birch. (Probably wrong, I know.)

I need to get some new pictures of it. Here are a couple from 2011: The first is of the stripped stock, the second is where I stopped messing with it, alongside a Correct Grade. The harsh light doesn't help.

Like I said, it has lost the red tint now. I need to get new pictures. The flame is really striking.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpg
      IMG_1040.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 219
    • IMG_1105.jpg
      IMG_1105.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 308

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I've done it for aesthetics on a couple of guns. I think the US just dipped them in a big vat of raw linseed or tung g.

Ok. Kinda what I thought. Not crapping on anyone for doing it. Believe me I've spent tons of time trying to make new parts match the patina of others on things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom