Suggestions for a low powered, large objective rifle scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    I'm putting together my last custom rifle, intended to be a lightweight, close/mid range hunting rifle.

A lot of my hunting these days is for Sika Deer and they often come out right at the end of legal shooting hours.

Because of this, I would like a decent quality, relatively compact low-power scope with a large objective.

This configuration is popular in Europe, where much shooting is in low light. The nearly ideal scope is listed over at ArfCom, a Schmidt-Bender 1.5-6x42mm. What makes it only nearly ideal and not perfect is the $1,300 + S&I price tag and something about half that price would be more in my ballpark. Maybe someone will buy this damn thing and reduce my angst and temptation... https://www.ar15.com/exchange/topicEE.html?t=2439612&f=163&type=1

Just need a heavy duplex reticle or similar, no cluttered BDC/ranging stuff.

There are a slew of 1-6x +/- scopes out there, but they almost invariably have a straight tube with a 22-23mm objective, which doesn't provide the light transmission I would like to have.

FWIW:
    23mm objective lens / 6x = exit pupil diameter of less than 4mm (when the human eye can use 7mm for best brightness).
    One would have to dial down to <3x to provide a 7mm exit pupil diameter.
    Conversely, 42mm / 6x = 7mm and would give me some flexibility in magnification.

I am about to settle for a Leupold 2-7x33, but still looking.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Look at the Meopta Optika line, they have several large objective low-power scopes.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don’t know what that means.
    I know what FAFo means.
    Some people are just not as smart as they think they are.
    There’s some more drivel for the unsuspecting and know it alls in this world.
    Happy sika deer hunting everyone and don’t forget last years shooting light was on page 62.
    Which apparently applies to you.
    The OP did not mention or imply hunting illegally, it was you who basically accused him of doing so which was totally uncalled for.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Which apparently applies to you.
    The OP did not mention or imply hunting illegally, it was you who basically accused him of doing so which was totally uncalled for.
    I think maybe it’s you or Mr Ed who is implying an accusation?
    I just wrote the truth and my comment was not directed towards anyone. However, If some don’t like it, promptly pound sand and feel free to do so freely.
    Mr Ed speculated drivel. He can find out how wrong he is if he so chooses but I think he’s smarter than that and or should be by now.
    And furthermore, anyone else here that is so stupid to deny intent, do us all a favor and stay out of the woods instead of attracting unnecessary attention by all the persons who monitor this site.
    Save that garbage for chicken necker sika face book or some other pro forum where all the tried and true jerk offs reside.
    The last thing any sika deer hunter or any deer hunter or person engaged in that sort of activity needs is some stupid shit that equates to a historic case outcome because someone doesn't know any better to STFU, being some persons propensity for using anachrony prohibits common sense and good judgement for memoralizing chicken necking to an art-form instead of utilizing COBOL.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm putting together my last custom rifle, intended to be a lightweight, close/mid range hunting rifle.

A lot of my hunting these days is for Sika Deer and they often come out right at the end of legal shooting hours.
    The first two sentences in the OP. He did not imply shooting beyond legal shooting hours, only shooting up to last legal shooting light. Given that that light can vary widely between shooting into an open field or shooting deep in a tree canopied swamp, it is not unreasonable to want the brightest scope possible to take hunting all the way to the final moments of legal shooting light.

ETA: It's probably reasonable to believe Ed is trying to differentiate between a hind and a spike stag in low light.

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Ed also consider an illuminated reticle. I don’t rifle hunt much but I noticed my bow sight shows up better on dark animals so for my moose hunt I took my bow and a rifle with a lit reticle.
    I am also not seeing the problem with wanting as much vision as possible for an ethical shot during low light.
    Jumping to a conclusion of illegal acts is complete BS.

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    Might as well just ask about illegal game taking.
    I been hunting Sika my whole life and never looked at one that couldn’t be found in a scope during legal shooting hours.
    This is kinda funny if you think about it. Maybe a sika couldnt be found in your scope AND you never saw it. Thats pretty dependent on your own vision and/or scope. Maybe your eyes' night vision sucks and your scope is just as bad. OR MAYBE another shooter/hunter has a different personal experience than you do with low light shooting.

Good example:

I have a twin brother. He cant see SH*T at night on a lit highway. I can drive without headlights down a dirt road. Peoples eyes are different...even twins

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    This is kinda funny if you think about it. Maybe a sika couldnt be found in your scope AND you never saw it. Thats pretty dependent on your own vision and/or scope. Maybe your eyes' night vision sucks and your scope is just as bad. OR MAYBE another shooter/hunter has a different personal experience than you do with low light shooting.

Good example:

I have a twin brother. He cant see SH*T at night on a lit highway. I can drive without headlights down a dirt road. Peoples eyes are different...even twins
    Sorry Pee-jay just not the case but thanks for your comment.
    Often I don’t use one and have walls of trophies to back up my experiance level regarding deer hunting that includes sika.
    I will say however when you mentioned driving home from a hunting expedition at night, I find they’re hard to spot standing at the edge of the roadway but never hit a deer in my life that I didnt want to kill.
    A rank amateur knows that a 4x15 Walmart off a crossman BB gun will allow you to see during legal shooting light. And so do the authorities.
    But, I’ll wait for all the experts to weigh in with their tremendous amount of knowledge base.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Sorry Pee-jay just not the case but thanks for your comment.
    Often I don’t use one and have walls of trophies to back up my experiance level regarding deer hunting that includes sika.
    I will say however when you mentioned driving home from a hunting expedition at night, I find they’re hard to spot standing at the edge of the roadway but never hit a deer in my life that I didnt want to kill.
    A rank amateur knows that a 4x15 Walmart off a crossman BB gun will allow you to see during legal shooting light. And so do the authorities.
    But, I’ll wait for all the experts to weigh in with their tremendous amount of knowledge base.
    Is it possible for someone to see a deer too good?
    If not then wanting to see better is perfectly reasonable.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have the PST gen2 2-10 if you wanna take a look at it Ed (if still in Millersville) 32mm objective but it a little on the heavy side at 26oz.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    C
    Is it possible for someone to see a deer too good?
    If not then wanting to see better is perfectly reasonable.
    Perfectly reasonable but not too difficult an achievement , around 1545 hrs.
    Especially with binoculars.
    It’s even less difficult when outside of the canopy, not having a roof over your head such as in a box stand, or even simply by removing a face mask to slightly improve optical resolution.
    Not destroying the onset of night vision when pupils are adjusting by looking at a phone screen or even an illuminated watch goes a long way too.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is the kind of stuff we always ask you:D

The closest thing I have any knowledge of is Hog scopes, same idea, low light performance is critical, low magnification, large exit pupil. Not sure about any at 1X, but the Steiner GS3 3-15x56 and Trijicon AP 2.5-10x56 seem well regarded around $1k or a little less. I have scopes in both brands, and they are excellent, but no experience with these particular models.
    That Steiner is very tempting. 3-15!!!
    Might as well just ask about illegal game taking.
    I been hunting Sika my whole life and never looked at one that couldn’t be found in a scope during legal shooting hours.
    Maybe Ed’s eyes aren’t that great…

Do you know Ed? I do. He’s an honorable man who will readily share his vast knowledge. He doesn’t deserve your ******** and deserves an apology. I have held you in much higher regard than your behavior in this thread warrants.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That Steiner is very tempting. 3-15!!!

Maybe Ed’s eyes aren’t that great…

Do you know Ed? I do. He’s an honorable man who will readily share his vast knowledge. He doesn’t deserve your ******** and deserves an apology. I have held you in much higher regard than your behavior in this thread warrants.
    Ed needs to quit writing about trying to figure out how to to do work arounds for shooting after regulated shooting hours and that sounds like a wussified excuse for trying to suck up to someone.
    Its people like the OP and others on this forum that get people in trouble when they dont think. Anybody that doesn't have their head in there ass knows what I'm talking about.
    Furthermore, I dont need an education from anyone on this forum and if I do Ill ask specifically for it.

But to answer to answer the first part of your question. No, I dont know Ed.
    But now I have one for you being that you know so much like the other bright minds here.
    Why should someone have to answer for him and then be asked to look at what he wrote?
    Maybe that apology should, just happen to be reciprocal?

Like I said, happy Sika deer hunting everyone.
    Its pretty easy to see during regular daylight hunting hours and be careful for what you write.
    It could just wind up to be considered intent and result in unintended consequences for all the Einsteins out there that dont get it.
    Oh and make sure you have that MDS sticker big and bold when your running around the Sika woods.
    If you think that name tag or display of intellectual intelligence buys you some cred, dont count on it.
    Otherwise, I dont care what dumb fucks do in their neck of the woods, but if you act an ass in mine your going to know about it especially when myself, someone I know or happen to care about has have to answer for it.
    Deserves******** aint got nothing to do about it. Some people here live in the real world and just dont talk about it and they dont deserve getting hemmed up by some wanna be tenderfoot shit talkers.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Accusing other members of intent to commit crimes with no evidence and then vaguely threatening people will get you a suspension every time. Insulting everyone who disagrees with you doesn't help.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The Leupold VX-Freedoms are nice bright scopes. I have a few and mounted a few for friends last season. Everybody 100% happy. If you want the best for the money then move up to the Leupold VX3 HD 2.5-8. My kids and I have more than a dozen Leupold 2.5-8 on our deer guns, slug guns, rifles and muzzleloaders. Our #1 choice for deer since I bought my first one in 1978 for $105 new.
    Thank you. The VX Freedoms do seem like decent scope for the money. I have some 2.5-8x36 (or 33) Loopys now, but they have target turrets and fine duplexes. I'm trying to keep this thing compact and fine duplex crosshairs are getting hard for me to see at high noon anymore.
    The trijicon is pricey but used accupowers can sometimes be had for.deals. I'm not on the Hide anymore but a friend scored one off the exchange there for 7.
    Thank you. I'm a member over at the 'hide and will poke around over there a little.
    I would suggest anything with a larger objective. I have a few scope with 50mm objectives and have no issues with low light views. It makes a big difference IMO.
    Thank you. I was thinking that if I kept the magnification very low, I could get away with a 40mm or maybe a 33/36. I'm trying to keep the scope as low to the gun as possible to avoid building up the comb and because I have to tote the dang thing.
    I like your way of thinking, Ed.

I used to hunt with both a 3x9x40 and 3x9x50 vortex. The bigger glass was much easier over the last ten minutes of the night.
    Thanks you. Yes, the bigger objectives rule for low light shooting and are nice all the way around. That's one of the pleasures of shooting something like a Schmidt-Bender PM-II - the image is so bright it jumps out at you.
    It's old school , but never had any problems with Steel Tube Weaver K 2.5 .

Usable well past legal shooting hours . If hypothetically Bambi was in deep shadows within shooting range , a cheap Wally World monocular
    Thank you. A lot of those old scopes are surprisingly good. I have an old Weaver 2-7x. It is so old, the magnification adjustment is under a capped turret.
    If you any a more traditional scope, a sightron s-tac 2-10x may fit your need.
    Thanks Boats. Some of the larger tactical-style Sightrons I have looked through have excellent glass. I see the 2-10x32 was a special run and discontinued, but will watch for one.
    Leupold makes a 2.5x8x36 also in the VX-3HD series. Weight runs around 12 ounces, length 11.42". Decent hunting scope. They run 500 bucks.
    Thank you. Yes, definitely a contender. I had an older Vari-X 1.75-6x with a larger objective, maybe a 32mm, and now regret selling it.
    Look at the Meopta Optika line, they have several large objective low-power scopes.
    Thank you. They seem like decent scope for the money, albeit a little more bulky than what I had hoped to find.
    Ed also consider an illuminated reticle. I don’t rifle hunt much but I noticed my bow sight shows up better on dark animals so for my moose hunt I took my bow and a rifle with a lit reticle...
    Thank you. If I find one that meets the overall package I'm looking for, I'd probably take that option.
    I have the PST gen2 2-10 if you wanna take a look at it Ed (if still in Millersville) 32mm objective but it a little on the heavy side at 26oz.

Thank you for your very generous offer. That looks promising, performance-wise, but 26 ounces is going to be will be too much for trying to make this a compact rifle.
    Ed needs to quit writing about trying to figure out how to to do work arounds for shooting after regulated shooting hours...
    I own a suppressed rifle and thermal optics. Please know that if I wanted to shoot anything at all after daylight hours, I absolutely wouldn't need to come here looking for sincere advice on the day optics I asked for help with.
    ...Maybe that apology should, just happen to be reciprocal?...
    I would definitely consider (unconditionally) apologizing to you, please let me know how I have wronged you and we'll go from there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's too bad Leupold dropped their heavy duplex line of reticles. They were great deer scopes for around these parts. I think their "FireDot" reticles would be a decent compromise though.

Maybe look at something with a 30-30 reticle?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Doesn't exactly fit the bill, but this looks to be on a pretty good sale right now.
    This is the "new" accupower. Great glass in them. Same tubes as the legacy model. I run one on my 18in gasgun and love it. Only downside is the weight (for Ed's application, not so much mine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom