Suggestions for a low powered, large objective rifle scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Doesn't exactly fit the bill, but this looks to be on a pretty good sale right now.
    I am a sucker for Trijicon accupoint scopes.

I use Trijicons for low light hunting at the end of liight condition without fail. No need to play with any buttons or turn on any lights.

https://www.expertvoice.com/ offers 30-40% off of MSRP on Trijicon products. You are limited to 1 scope and 1 base per year with the discount.

Ed, If you want something for your crossbow, the Trijicon 3x XB ACOG is a natural match. https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-acog-xb

Last edited:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    It's old school , but never had any problems with Steel Tube Weaver K 2.5 .
    I’ve got a couple of really nice old steel tube scopes, that are in nice shape. They belonged to my wife’s great uncle. A few weavers and a few Lyman’s.
    I’d like to put one on a vintage rifle someday.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland

Ed, I have this optic on my .350 Legend. I really like it. It gathers a lot of light in morning/evening, and the illuminated reticle is very nice. I've had many times that I was within legal shooting hours, in thicker woods, in a tree stand, and would not have been able to see my crosshairs had I not had an illuminated reticle.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I think maybe it’s you or Mr Ed who is implying an accusation?
    I just wrote the truth and my comment was not directed towards anyone. However, If some don’t like it, promptly pound sand and feel free to do so freely.
    Mr Ed speculated drivel. He can find out how wrong he is if he so chooses but I think he’s smarter than that and or should be by now.
    And furthermore, anyone else here that is so stupid to deny intent, do us all a favor and stay out of the woods instead of attracting unnecessary attention by all the persons who monitor this site.
    Save that garbage for chicken necker sika face book or some other pro forum where all the tried and true jerk offs reside.
    The last thing any sika deer hunter or any deer hunter or person engaged in that sort of activity needs is some stupid shit that equates to a historic case outcome because someone doesn't know any better to STFU, being some persons propensity for using anachrony prohibits common sense and good judgement for memoralizing chicken necking to an art-form instead of utilizing COBOL.
    WOW,,,
    All the OP did was ask about a low power scope with a larger Obj lens.
    And those of us that actually hunt can fully understand that a cheaper/smaller Obj scope is somewhat useless in the deep woods on a cloudy day, the last/first 15 minutes of LEGAL light.

Why do Sika deer hunters - Who have been "hunting sika their whole life" get so triggered by other coming down to hunt sika??

Last edited:

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

Check out this one. 4x but 34 mm. I used one for service rifle for a little while. Illuminating reticle. 5 MOA cross hairs the a bigger donut and way further out is a bunch of crap but it shouldn’t bother you.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ed, why not use your thermal?

It’s clear you want to hunt at night. :D

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm interested in taking a class on long distance, nighttime poaching. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    I have a recommendation. But I need to do a background check and be sure you are already a felon before I allow you into the class. Please PM me your ssn and dob.

And you don't have to go to DorCo for it.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    You should look at the Minox line, they make 2-10x50 and 3-10x56 scopes. They cost a little more than the Meopta Optikas, but are made in Germany.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You might want to try the Toric 2-10x42. They have a BDC and a cross hair reticle. Pretty comparable to a Leupold for about 60% of the cost. Probably a little better gathering light than a Leupold.

I don't have the 2-10 but I have two other of their scopes and couldn't be happier.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm interested in taking a class on long distance, nighttime poaching. Does anyone have any recommendations?

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    On a serious note.

I am no pro and can't speak of any of the mentioned scopes already, but Maybe 15 years back, I bought a nice 50's Model 70 and put a Zeiss Conquest on it.

I am seeing in their website that they have Conquest V4, V6 etc.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It's too bad Leupold dropped their heavy duplex line of reticles. They were great deer scopes for around these parts. I think their "FireDot" reticles would be a decent compromise though.

Maybe look at something with a 30-30 reticle?
    Agreed to the 'heavy duplex' comment. My 2-7x shotgun scope has one and it really draws your eye.
    Good to see you got some useful information Ed. Hope you and yours are doing well. :beer:
    Thank you Ryan! :party29:
    I hope your bunch is well too!
    Doesn't exactly fit the bill, but this looks to be on a pretty good sale right now.
    Thanks Smokey. That is an attractive sale.
    I am a sucker for Trijicon accupoint scopes.

I use Trijicons for low light hunting at the end of liight condition without fail. No need to play with any buttons or turn on any lights.

https://www.expertvoice.com/ offers 30-40% off of MSRP on Trijicon products. You are limited to 1 scope and 1 base per year with the discount.

Ed, If you want something for your crossbow, the Trijicon 3x XB ACOG is a natural match. https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-acog-xb
    Thank you for all the info Inigoes!

My crossbow came with a pretty decent low power/large objective scope that works pretty good. I took a deer with it last year about 15 minutes before quitting time and had no trouble seeing.

Ed, I have this optic on my .350 Legend. I really like it. It gathers a lot of light in morning/evening, and the illuminated reticle is very nice. I've had many times that I was within legal shooting hours, in thicker woods, in a tree stand, and would not have been able to see my crosshairs had I not had an illuminated reticle.
    Thank you Hibs, I'll take a look at that one.

Check out this one. 4x but 34 mm. I used one for service rifle for a little while. Illuminating reticle. 5 MOA cross hairs the a bigger donut and way further out is a bunch of crap but it shouldn’t bother you.
    Thanks Park ranger. That's a huge objective for a 4x and might preclude the need to go with lower magnification just to get the brighter image.
    Ed, why not use your thermal?

It’s clear you want to hunt at night. :D
    Sorry for the delay in response, I've been out late the last few nights.:rolleyes:

Yeah, the thermal would work. Those squirrel pictures I posted in the other thread were taken during the day and there was no problem seeing the heat differential.
    As soon as we can line up an assistant to hold the flashlight downrange on the dee...target, we'll be up and running.
    You should look at the Minox line, they make 2-10x50 and 3-10x56 scopes. They cost a little more than the Meopta Optikas, but are made in Germany.
    Thank you Beetles. I just looked at their 2.5-10x42 and it seems like a decent scope.
    You might want to try the Toric 2-10x42. They have a BDC and a cross hair reticle. Pretty comparable to a Leupold for about 60% of the cost. Probably a little better gathering light than a Leupold.

I don't have the 2-10 but I have two other of their scopes and couldn't be happier.

Thanks dontpanic, I'll take a look at these.
    On a serious note.

I am no pro and can't speak of any of the mentioned scopes already, but Maybe 15 years back, I bought a nice 50's Model 70 and put a Zeiss Conquest on it.

I am seeing in their website that they have Conquest V4, V6 etc.

Thank you chilipeppermaniac. I'll take a look at these.

I appreciate everyone's scope input here and I think I have plenty to look at. Thank you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom