Summary: Manchin-Toomey transfer/background requirements and application to Maryland

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    There is a lot of confusion on this forum, and others, about what is currently happening in the U.S. Senate. Let me try to shed a little light.

(Some people may think that this post would be better placed in the National 2A Issues section, but with respect to the facets that I zero in on below, I think the main interest on the board is how the pending proposal would intersect with Maryland laws, including SB 281, which is currently set to go into effect on October 1.)

First of all: It is not true that the Senate invoked cloture on the main gun control bill, S. 649 (which tracks the language approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on a party-line vote on March 12, under a different bill number). If that had occurred, the amendment process would never have really begun, and a vote on final passage of the bill would be near. But what the Senate actually did on April 11 was vote to end debate on whether to take up the bill (the "motion to proceed"), and thereby to begin the amendment process, which is an entirely different matter.

UPDATED APRIL 16, 10:45 PM EDT: According to press reports, the Senate is now scheduled to vote on the Manchin-Toomey Amendment (discussed below) on Wednesday, April 17, at 4:00 PM EDT. An agreement has been reached to immediately conduct roll call votes on eight additional amendments, Amendment No. 711 by Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tx.) to require some form of "national reciprocity," Amendment No. 719 by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Ca.) to ban many semi-auto rifles, and Amendment No. 714 by Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) to ban so-called "high-capacity" clips/magazines. Any of the nine amendments will be added to the base bill if it receives 60 votes; otherwise, it will be deemed rejected.

After the amendment process is over, the bill itself could still be filibustered, and if that occurred, 60 votes will be required to end debate and pass the bill. If that occurred, the bill would go to the House, which a number of different procedural options would be available to the majority leadership. So Manchin-Toomey and all the rest is all still a long way from becoming law.

The Manchin-Toomey Amendment, 49 pages long in the official printed version, covers quite a bit of ground. I am not going to try to describe all the provisions in this single post. For example, there are extensive provisions about getting state mental-health records into the federal system, how to deal with issues concerning veterans who have been classified as having mental health issues by the VA, and so forth. That is all important stuff. But for the moment, I'm just going to try to summarize here some key provisions that relate to transfers of firearms and background checks, since these may be of particular interest to some of the participants in this forum, particularly given the array of old and new restrictions that we already deal with in Maryland.

(I am not a lawyer, but this is not the first time I've read a statute. Obviously nothing below is "legal advice" -- we're not even talking about a law, just a legislative proposal on which a vote may will soon occur. There may be mistakes, imprecisions, or important omissions in what I have written -- part of the purpose of these discussions is to get the perspective of multiple analysts.)

PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to post a comment or question on the summary below, please DO NOT quote the entire lengthy summary! Kindly edit the quote so that you are quoting only the numbered paragraph, or a section of a numbered paragraph, to which your question or comment pertains. Also, this thread is intended for exploring what the Manchin-Toomey Amendment does or does not contain, with particular attention to how it would intersect with Maryland law -- not the goodness or badness of the entire enterprise. There are many other threads in which the origins and merits of the Manchin-Toomey Amendment and other aspects of the federal situation are under active discussion -- please take the value-judgment discussions to those threads, to the extent possible. Thank you.

Here it is -- the firearms transfer and background check provisions in Manchin-Toomey:

(1) Private transactions in firearms (between parties who do not have FFLs) would become subject to a federal background-check requirement if they occur "at a gun show or event, on the curtilage thereof; or . . .pursuant to an advertisement, posting, display or other listing on the Internet or in a publication by the transferor of his intent to transfer, or the transferee of his intent to acquire, the firearm." (Pages 21-22.) As far as I can tell, "publication" is not defined. The background checks would be run by FFL-dealers, who would be allowed to charge a fee for the service; the bill prohibits the ATF from placing a cap on the fee. (page 25.) Participation by any FFL-dealer is strictly optional. (Page 25.) If a buyer is cleared by a background check, the seller is immunized from liability if the gun is later used in a crime, to the same extent that a dealer is currently immunized by current law. (Page 25.) The FBI is told to prioritize background checks from gun shows. (Page 21.) For gun-show checks, if no definitive response is received within 48 hours, the sale may proceed (after four years, this would go to 24 hours). (Page 20.)

(2) The new requirement described in paragraph (1) above would apply even to transactions conducted between two residents of the same state, within their state of residence, with respect to both long guns and handguns, unless that state already enforces a comparable background check requirement. (Page 23.) This would be a substantial change in Maryland, where private transfers of "regular" rifles and shotguns currently do not require paperwork (as opposed to regulated "assault" long guns and handguns).

(3) Persons who hold the various classes of FFLs (including C&R) would be able to engage in purchases without repetitive background checks, under the same limited conditions and to the same degree that they can now. This is not the place to get into a detailed discussion of what the conditions and requirements are now -- suffice to say, I see nothing in Manchin-Toomey to change them.

(4) The amendment would clarify that FFL-dealers can acquire firearms face-to-face from other FFL-dealers while traveling out of state -- for example, at gun shows. (Page 31.) There has been some confusion on this point engendered by ATF in the past, even though federal statutes never prohibited such transfers, and my perception is that it often occurs.

(5) Contrary to reports on Fox News and CNN, there is nothing in the Manchin-Toomey Amendment (or in the underlying bill, S. 649) that would result in any state's carry permit being recognized, for handgun-carrying purposes, in any other state. The only provision in the Manchin-Toomey Amendment that relates directly to carry permits would allow an FFL-dealer to accept certain licenses, which would include most carry permits and some other types of licenses, in place of running the FBI background check for the gun-show and published-notice private transactions. (Page 22.) (According to press reports, other senators will later offer a different amendment to S. 649 that would require some sort of "national reciprocity" for at least some types of state carry permits. No such amendment has yet been filed, and no text is available, therefore it is impossible to have an informed discussion about how this might affect Maryland residents.)

(6) When an FFL-dealer does a background check for a private transfer at a gun show or pursuant to a published offering, he will keep a record of it in his "bound book" in the same manner as the guns he sells from his inventory. The bill contains various provisions to prohibit the Justice Department or its subordinate agencies, such as ATF, from compiling records of such transfers into a firearms registry. [Update, April 16: David Kopel, a lawyer, has published an essay in which he argues that the Manchin-Toomey Amendment "authorizes a national gun registry." On this point, I think his analysis is not persuasive, as I discuss here.] The amendment contains no federal restrictions on states setting up registration systems using their own background-check systems, as Maryland has done (nor is there any such restriction in current federal law, contrary to an urban legend which keeps cropping up on forums such as this, Wikipedia, etc.).

(7) There are exemptions from the proposed new background check requirements for transfers between various classes of persons, as follows: "between spouses, between parents or spouses of parents and their children or spouses of their children, between siblings or spouses of siblings, or between grandparents or spouses of grandparents and their grandchildren or spouses of their grandchildren, or between aunts or uncles or their spouses and their nieces or nephews or their spouses, or between first cousins." (Page 23.) All such exempt transfers require that "the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe that the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm under Federal, State, or local law."

(8) No background check would be required for "temporary transfers for purposes including lawful hunting or sporting or to temporary possession of a firearm for purposes of examination or evaluation by a prospective transferee." (Page 36.)

(9) Current federal law allows FFL-dealers to sell rifles and shotguns over the counter (face to face) to residents of any state, if the laws of the FFL-seller's state and the buyer's state also allow this. Current Maryland law does allow Maryland residents to buy "regular" rifles and shotguns (as opposed to "regulated" long guns) in face-to-face transactions with FFL-dealers in any state. (I know that some people, including some dealers, will tell you that Maryland law allows this only in "contiguous" states, but that is a misunderstanding of current Maryland law, as the Maryland attorney general's office has confirmed.) The Manchin-Toomey Amendment would change the federal law to apply to handguns as well, meaning that the FFL-dealers would be allowed to sell a handgun, face to face, to a resident of another state, but only if it complies with the laws of both states. (Page 29.) I am doubtful that such out-of-state face-to-face purchase of handguns will be practical for Maryland residents, given the way that the Maryland law is set up with respect to handgun transfers -- the waiting period, the distinct state-conducted background check, and so forth. Even if that problem could be overcome, you would still need the Handgun Qualification License required by the impending new Maryland law (with the same exceptions as applicable in Maryland). In addition, the Handgun Roster, fired-shell casing, and "integrated lock" requirements would all have to be complied for any handgun for which any or all of those requirements would be applicable in Maryland. All of that would be a lot for any out-of-state FFL to deal with. So, my prediction would be that even if the Manchin-Toomey Amendment becomes law, it will still be difficult, if not impossible, for Maryland residents (other than those with federal firearms licenses) to buy handguns over-the-counter from dealers in other states.

(10) The current federal law (18 U.S.C. §926A) that protects the right to transport a firearm, unloaded and cased, when traveling across various state lines and jurisdictions, would be considerably expanded and clarified. Some jurisdictions have been reluctant to recognize the intent of the current law, and have construed it very narrowly -- there have been some egregious episodes particularly in New Jersey and New York. (Pages 33-36.) The proposed improvements, if enacted as part of the pending bill or in some other legislation, could be important to gunowners driving across Maryland with unloaded firearms, and to Maryland residents with unloaded firearms who are driving to or from destinations in other states. Update, April 16: David Kopel, an attorney, has posted an essay elsewhere in which he identifies some language in this section of the amendment which he thinks could result in travelers being arrested if they travel across states like Massachusetts. He doesn't mention Maryland but his argument, if valid, could apply to Maryland as well. I think that the language he is talking about is probably the product of defective draftsmanship and not a plot, but it should be taken note of and fixed if this section of the amendment moves forward in the legislative process. This issue is discussed further here.

Attachments

• ManchinToomeyAmendmentALB13374.pdf
      77.7 KB · Views: 115
    Last edited:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Thank you for posting this. Completely affirms my reading.

And I humbly apologize for spreading the misinformation on the cloture vote. The maneuvering they used to pass health care is still fresh for me.

Question: Would the seven day temporary transfer language in S 649 still apply or be superseded by this amendment?

*** With all this talk about "gun control", I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns away from criminals ***

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I offer this elaboration on paragraph no. 9 of my summary of the transfer/background check provisions of Manchin-Toomey:

Here is how one pertinent provision of the U.S. Code would read if the Manchin-Toomey Amendment became law (the bracketed language is current law that would be stricken, and the language in all caps is the proposed new language that would be inserted in its place) (these changes are made on pages 29-30 of the Manchin-Toomey Amendment):

[18 U.S.C. §922(b)(3):

It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver] any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any [rifle or shotgun] FIREARM to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is [located] LOCATED OR TEMPORARILY LOCATED if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in [both such States] THE STATE IN WHICH THE TRANSFER IS CONDUCTED AND THE STATE OF RESIDENCE OF THE TRANSFEREE (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;​

So, you will not be able to go to another state, purchase an "assault" or "copycat" firearm, and bring it back into Maryland. The FFL in the other state won't sell it you because it is banned in Maryland, and even under the Manchin-Toomey Amendment, that would be a federal violation. But even if he did, you would still be committing a state crime in Maryland as soon as you crossed the border with it. With respect to buying handguns face-to-face in other states, from dealers, see paragraph no. 9 above.

Last edited:

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Question: Would the seven day temporary transfer language in S 649 still apply or be superseded by this amendment?

The Manchin-Toomey Amendment would strike and replace the entire Title I of S. 649, which includes the temporary transfer language you are referring to. The amendment has its own protective language for temporary transfers, as cited in my summary.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    (9) Current federal law ... So, my prediction would be that even if the Manchin-Toomey Amendment becomes law, it will still be difficult, if not impossible, for Maryland residents (other than those with federal firearms licenses) to buy handguns over-the-counter from dealers in other states.

I agree for the most part but there may be a few gun shops like those on the boarders of Maryland example is shops who might be only 10 to 15 min from the MD boarder might do so to increase there selling base. I can also see a few people who are willing to go out of state so the sales tax doesn't go the MD instead goes to a more Gun friendly state.

Thanks
    Robert

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I agree for the most part but there may be a few gun shops like those on the boarders of Maryland example is shops who might be only 10 to 15 min from the MD boarder might do so to increase there selling base. I can also see a few people who are willing to go out of state so the sales tax doesn't go the MD instead goes to a more Gun friendly state.

Thanks
    Robert

Even if some out-of-state dealers are willing to learn the details of all of the Maryland restrictions on handguns, it seems likely that Maryland will regard such purchases by non-FFLs as unlawful, and that means they will also become unlawful for out-of-state FFL-dealers to participate in, under federal law. Maryland authorities cannot directly regulate transactions that occur in other jurisdictions, but they can put federal heat on dealers who sell to Maryland residents without complying with Maryland restrictions. Read carefully the U.S. Code language in the fourth post in this thread.

Last edited:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You want my support for anything as INANE as this bill, here is the amendment that I would want.

Any licensed (CHL,CCW,HQL,FOID,C&R,FFL) permit holder can purchase any weapon without NICS or an FFL in any state from any other licensed person at any time for any reason.

That way, anyone who has already been vetted can have their freedom to purchase intra and interstate, while requiring those who have not had any background checks to get one. Once I have been given my .gov permission slip, leave me alone and stop getting in my personal private business.

That will reduce paperwork, reduce the burden on the system, and focus background checks on persons not currently holding a license. Simple and easy.

In addition to the above, I would want the NFA repealed. That is what it would take to make me happy.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    (5) Contrary to reports on Fox News and CNN, there is nothing in the Manchin-Toomey Amendment (or in the underlying bill, S. 649) that would result in any state's carry permit being recognized, for handgun-carrying purposes, in any other state.

There are still articles being written about national reciprocity.

I don't know what to make of it; it's not like the bill is 2,000 pages long (like Obamacare) Do you think this is an effort to get us 2A folks to get on board? Putting on my tinfoil hat :tinfoil2:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...4131a-a38d-11e2-9c03-6952ff305f35_story.html#

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    There are still articles being written about national reciprocity.

I don't know what to make of it; it's not like the bill is 2,000 pages long (like Obamacare) Do you think this is an effort to get us 2A folks to get on board? Putting on my tinfoil hat :tinfoil2:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...4131a-a38d-11e2-9c03-6952ff305f35_story.html#

The Washington Post story that you linked does not make the same error as the Fox News and CNN stories to which I referred in my summary (the Original Post). The Post story correctly notes that the Manchin-Toomey Amendment does not contain a "national reciprocity" provision:

The bill filed Thursday by Manchin and Toomey includes some new provisions that gun rights advocates like — including one that allows gun sellers to more easily transport their merchandise between states. However, the bill does not require concealed-carry reciprocity among states, a provision requested by Toomey that was flatly rejected by Democrats this week during closed-door negotiations, according to several aides familiar with the talks.

It is generally anticipated that a "national reciprocity" amendment of some type will be offered to S. 649, as the Post reports.

I would attribute the earlier Fox and CNN errors to ignorance and sloppiness, rather than a conspiracy. I have a theory that many reporters, like many legislators, believe they know what is in bills based on what somebody tells them, without bothering to read them.

(1) Private transactions in firearms (between parties who do not have FFLs) would become subject to a federal background-check requirement if they occur "at a gun show or event, on the curtilage thereof; or . . .pursuant to an advertisement, posting, display or other listing on the Internet or in a publication by the transferor of his intent to transfer, or the transferee of his intent to acquire, the firearm." (Pages 21-22.)
    I put that text in bold, because the background check requirement is applied only to gun shows and via advertising. It is silent on all other private transfers.

So, if you are out with your hunting buddy, not at a gun show, and have never advertised the gun for sale, you can sell him your rifle without a background check.

If you are at a gun show, and meet your brother, you can sell him your rifle without a background check. If you meet your second cousin, you cannot.

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks for the summary!

would allow an FFL-dealer to accept certain licenses, which would include most carry permits and some other types of licenses, in place of running the FBI background check for the gun-show and published-notice private transactions.

I agree with this reading, that the CCW-in-lieu-of-NICS exception only applies to gun show and published transactions. This exception is written as an exception to that subsection. But, I have seen reporting suggesting that the CCW-in-lieu-of-NICS exception is meant to be universal, including Toomey's own website (saying the bill "Authorizes use of a state concealed carry permit instead of a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer"). This would mean that any time an FFL is supposed to run an NICS he can use a CCW in lieu of it.

Do you think the current language can be reasonably interpreted in that way, because despite its location as an exception to show/publish purchases it says it applies to "a transfer under this chapter," which sounds universal? And/or do you think that was Toomey's intent, and he could impose this via friendly amendment? Should people be contacting Toomey to tell him that?

Because here's an impact for Maryland: CCW instead of NICS means no waiting for the NICS number.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    So, if you are out with your hunting buddy, not at a gun show, and have never advertised the gun for sale, you can sell him your rifle without a background check.

If you are at a gun show, and meet your brother, you can sell him your rifle without a background check. If you meet your second cousin, you cannot.

We're just talking here about what the federal law requirements would be if Manchin-Toomey was enacted.

In your first scenario, I agree that you could sell your rifle without a background check, provided you and your hunting buddy are residents of the same state. One might argue that you could do so even if you had advertised the rifle for sale in some obscure "publication" that your buddy could not have seen or did not see, since in that case the sale arguably would not be "pursuant" to the publication, but that might be pushing it.

In your second scenario, the gun show, I agree you could sell your rifle to your brother without a background check (assuming you are both residents of the same state), but not to your second cousin.

In real life, we would have to consider not only federal law requirements, but also the requirements of the state or states involved. For Maryland, the answers above would apply, assuming the rifle is an unregulated rifle.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Thanks for the summary!

I agree with this reading, that the CCW-in-lieu-of-NICS exception only applies to gun show and published transactions. This exception is written as an exception to that subsection. But, I have seen reporting suggesting that the CCW-in-lieu-of-NICS exception is meant to be universal, including Toomey's own website (saying the bill "Authorizes use of a state concealed carry permit instead of a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer"). This would mean that any time an FFL is supposed to run an NICS he can use a CCW in lieu of it.

Do you think the current language can be reasonably interpreted in that way, because despite its location as an exception to show/publish purchases it says it applies to "a transfer under this chapter," which sounds universal? And/or do you think that was Toomey's intent, and he could impose this via friendly amendment? Should people be contacting Toomey to tell him that?

Because here's an impact for Maryland: CCW instead of NICS means no waiting for the NICS number.

For those who just joined us, we're talking about the provision of the Manchin-Toomey Amendment that would allow a dealer to use "a valid permit . . . that allows the transferee to possess, acquire, or carry a firearm" in lieu of a NICS check, for purposes of certain firearms transfers.

I am familiar with the statement that you quoted, which appeared in the summaries released simultaneously by Senators Manchin and Toomey. Reviewing the structure of the amendment, however, it seems clear to me that the permit-in-lieu-of-NICS option would apply only to the class of firearms transfers that are covered, for the first time, by the Manchin-Toomey Amendment -- that is, gun shows and similar events, and transfers "pursuant to an advertisement, posting, display or other listing on the Internet or in a publication. . ." For those types of transactions, the federal background-check requirement would be fulfilled by display of one of the types of permit defined by the federal law, whether or not the state in which the transaction occurred liked it. (But of course, any state-law requirements would still have to be obeyed, just like now.)

I am privy to no information about what either senator's intent was, with respect to this provision. Nor do I care to offer any opinion about whether people "should" or should not encourage modifications to the Manchin-Toomey Amendment. As I explained in the introduction to this thread, my purpose in this thread is merely to explore what the amendment would or would not do if it were law, not to offer opinions on the merits.

As to the process, the U.S. Senate can do just about anything by "unanimous consent," i.e., if a senator makes a request and nobody objects. It is common for a senator to request unanimous consent to modify his or her pending amendment in some way, and most often nobody objects. However, the current Manchin-Toomey Amendment is the product of long negotiations between a number of senators of both parties. As anyone reading the papers knows, it is receiving mixed reviews among the pro-gun ranks, and also mixed reviews among the anti-gun ranks. Therefore, even if Manchin and Toomey wished to make a change, they might have trouble getting unanimous consent.

There are other mechanisms by which a pending amendment can be modified, in some cases, especially if the majority leader wishes to allow it. For example, Senate rules allow for second-degree amendments.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Update

I have slightly updated paragraphs no. 6 and no. 10 of my summary (the Original Post) to address a couple of points about the Manchin-Toomey Amendment raised elsewhere by David Kopel, an attorney.

The U.S. Senate may vote on the Manchin-Toomey Amendment as early as today (Tuesday, April 16), or tomorrow (Wednesday, April 17).

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    UPDATED APRIL 16, 10:45 PM EDT: According to press reports, the Senate is now scheduled to vote on the Manchin-Toomey Amendment on Wednesday, April 17, at 4:00 PM EDT. An agreement has been reached to immediately conduct roll call votes on eight additional amendments, Amendment No. 711 by Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tx.) to require some form of "national reciprocity," Amendment No. 719 by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Ca.) to ban many semi-auto rifles, and Amendment No. 714 by Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) to ban so-called "high-capacity" clips/magazines. Any of the nine amendments will be added to the base bill if it receives 60 votes; otherwise, it will be deemed rejected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom