• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notadrone

Mar 19, 2013
    west of Salisbury
    I live on the shore but don't always like to go to the beach. Are there any other areas non pool to swim around salisbury or Cambridge? I'm ok with driving a little piece to get to a nice spot too. I miss the Wv rivers and lakes.
    Also when do the jelly fish start showing up? Any where to swim and avoid them during their season?
    Thanks and welcome to spring.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Being in the mining industry I just wanna throw it out there. Do yourself, family, friends a favor and don't go to abandoned or active mines, quarries and the like and swim in their ponds... you never know what has been thrown in them. Between steel, oils, fuels, etc. With the EPA and MDE things have gotten way better but its still the chance. People die and injure themselves every year swimming or going to swim and stepping on water logged silt and sinking out of sight. Safety speech over.

Notadrone

Mar 19, 2013
    west of Salisbury
    Being in the mining industry I just wanna throw it out there. Do yourself, family, friends a favor and don't go to abandoned or active mines, quarries and the like and swim in their ponds... you never know what has been thrown in them. Between steel, oils, fuels, etc. With the EPA and MDE things have gotten way better but its still the chance. People die and injure themselves every year swimming or going to swim and stepping on water logged silt and sinking out of sight. Safety speech over.

Safety speech taken in. Thank you. When I was a teen we swam in an old quary outside of bedford Pa. I could see the dangers.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    In Cambridge you can swim at Sailwinds park at the foot of the rt 50 bridge, great marsh park has a swimming only area, on Hambrooks blvd you can swim on the opposite side of the road from Pinks pond. Pinks pond is private but across the road is the Choptank river and is public.

Years ago the Cambridge radio station allowed swimming but I can't say anymore and that beach has mostly washed away.

Jellyfish start in mid may but get heavy usually by late June. Each year is different. There is not any public fresh water swimming hole I know of in Cambridge. This is coming from a local boy spent many summer years ago swimming most anywhere they did not chase me out of.

I would advise you wear old tennis shoes. Sad to say fishing hooks and glass bottles were plentiful years ago and I would guess they are worst now.

gazingwa

Van Down By The River
    Jan 24, 2013
    Sussex County, DE
    There are 2 nice bay beaches down Nanticoke rd. 1 is called The Cove, the other is a bit further in Tyaskin. It is very shallow for a good ways out and is great for kids.

Notadrone

Mar 19, 2013
    west of Salisbury
    In Cambridge you can swim at Sailwinds park at the foot of the rt 50 bridge, great marsh park has a swimming only area, on Hambrooks blvd you can swim on the opposite side of the road from Pinks pond. Pinks pond is private but across the road is the Choptank river and is public.

Years ago the Cambridge radio station allowed swimming but I can't say anymore and that beach has mostly washed away.

Jellyfish start in mid may but get heavy usually by late June. Each year is different. There is not any public fresh water swimming hole I know of in Cambridge. This is coming from a local boy spent many summer years ago swimming most anywhere they did not chase me out of.

I would advise you wear old tennis shoes. Sad to say fishing hooks and glass bottles were plentiful years ago and I would guess they are worst now.
    great info. thanks. I got stung last year at sailwinds.
    I will check out the other beaches mentioned. thanks

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    the cove in nanticoke or farther down next to roaring point campground. beach past the red roost driveway. cedar hill park in bivalve

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom