• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Sweet... I will have to make that one and get to the new shooter class. I missed it each time last year. :party29::party29:

When shooting IDPA do you need to have a jacket or vest to cover your holster?

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    When shooting IDPA do you need to have a jacket or vest to cover your holster?

Yes, you need a cover garment, unless you are shooting the classifier. Granted I have been to some matches where they went without, but this was usually due to the heat.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Herr.Baer

I dunno about the TCSC, but every stage I shot when I played with a couple matches in NC was shot from concealment (meaning you have to cover the holster and your spare ammo).

***EDIT***
    As it was explained to me, IDPA is about practical shooting with practical equipment. The guys I know out west have said that some stages do not require cover garment. Those people hail from states that endorse open carry. Local matches may well be subject to local customs but as a rule I believe IDPA needs cover garment.

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    could someone please advise how many stages this will be, ballpark round count, and how long it is expected to take? thanks!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    no pre-registration needed, just show up before 2?

if you have done a few idpa and uspsa, don't need to do the new shooter class, is that right?

thanks!

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    no pre-registration needed, just show up before 2?

if you have done a few idpa and uspsa, don't need to do the new shooter class, is that right?

thanks!

Come and shoot. Pre-registation is not required.

New shooters class is required if you haven't shot IDPA at TCSC. Chip runs a hot range. Chip requires all new to Thurmont shooters to take the class the first time, IDPA Novice or Master. New shooters class is at 1200.

I haven't completed the stages yet but it will be five stages with a less than 90 rounds. Cover garments will be required.

Walt

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    What is the cost of the match? I didn't see it on the web site. Is there a cost for the new shooter class? Also is there live fire during the new shooter class as to account for extra rounds needed about and beyond the match?

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    I haven't completed the stages yet but it will be five stages with a less than 90 rounds.Walt

If you guys/gals are on the fence about coming out you really should. Chip runs a good match and Walt always comes up with something entertaining to shoot. I will definitely be there and would be happy to be squadded with anyone from the forum who needs a little assistance.

Mike

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    Setup starts at noon. New shooters class is at noon in the club house. Shooting starts at 2pm. Show up earlier to sign up. I'm normally taking out the trash just before 5pm.

Walt

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the nice thing about idpa is you don't need fancy/expensive equipment to effectively compete. a totally stock glock, M&P, beretta or sig, for example, is all you need. see the link for all the rules. they also have divisions for revolvers and 1911's. you will want at least two spare magazines.

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

need a holster also, again nothing fancy. i like the blackhawk serpa's. just one little button to push as you're drawing, but it keeps the gun super secure, but when drawing there is no friction at all. and you need a vest or jacket that conceals the gun and spare magazines.

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    Will the "new shooter" class be offered again in the future? I am leaving on that day to go to South Carolina pig hunting.

I am going to QSC this weekend and take their two day class on pistol competition (if it is not canceled).

kac

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    The new shooter class is typically offered before each match. You must check with Chip beforehand to make sure, but that's the general rule. He ran mine with just two guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom