• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm having a C&R purchase withdrawal, and need to fix that soon. I've been eyeing a Swede Mauser in 6.5X55. I have read that they are accurate rifles, but wanted to know people's experience with them, and if they had secret sources of reasonably priced surplus ammo. I'm thinking about going all out and buying one with the Ajack scope mounted (M41B). They are a bit pricey but I can't imagine they'll get any cheaper. Plus, I'm doing this for medical reasons (withdrawal fix).

Anyway, thanks in advance for your input.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Swedes are great rifles, and in my opinion are one of, if not the most accurate surplus rifles you can get. The 2 most common models seen are the M96 long rifle and the m38 short rifle configuration with many variations of both. There is also the M94 carbines but those are few and far between and rather pricey. The 6.5x55 round is one of my favorites for its excellent ballistics and low recoil. I believe samco has some surplus ammo or some could probably be picked up at a local show. I don't know much about the M41b snipers so I can't really help out there. With all that said I would definitely go pick one (or several) up. Hope this helps

EDIT: just checked Samco and found that they only have the wooden bullet blank ammo and inert training rounds, didn't see any regular ammo

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    I don't own one, but I was interested in buying one and did some research... so I hope someone corrects my misstatements.

Good strong receiver steel, but not as strong as a k98 three lugged design (swedes only have 2 lugs).

Should have a brass plate on the stock that discusses bore and other rifle condition items.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    No experience with the scoped M41B but I love my M96. Right at the top of the C&R food chain for accuracy. Don't think there are any secret stashes of surplus ammo out there but there's plenty of commercial ammo about, including the very accurate Norma brand.

=GoMango=

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anne Arundel Co.
    I love my M/38 Hsqvarna it's a handy little carbine and very accurate.

It's all a matter of preference but I really do like the "cock on close" Mauser action of the Swedes. In that way it reminds me of my Enfields.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    They are very accurate and have moderate recoil. Lapua makes some really good match ammo. Haven't seen any low cost Lapua match ammo since Mountainside closed but I'm sure it is out there. I've seen the sniper version and they are pretty cool. For a plain old shooter, I think I would have modern optics installed though.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    I have seen Privi Partisan ammo out there at fairly decent prices, comparable to what their .303 costs. I still have some Norma "in stock" so I have not bought any yet. I have a 1916 built M98. It is such a beautifully made rifle, I almost cannot believe it is a commercially made military piece. The blueing is vivid, .... What a great gun. Buy one, you will not be disappointed

Jesse in Rockville

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Swedes are great rifles, and in my opinion are one of, if not the most accurate surplus rifles you can get. The 2 most common models seen are the M96 long rifle and the m38 short rifle configuration with many variations of both. There is also the M94 carbines but those are few and far between and rather pricey. The 6.5x55 round is one of my favorites for its excellent ballistics and low recoil. I believe samco has some surplus ammo or some could probably be picked up at a local show. I don't know much about the M41b snipers so I can't really help out there. With all that said I would definitely go pick one (or several) up. Hope this helps

EDIT: just checked Samco and found that they only have the wooden bullet blank ammo and inert training rounds, didn't see any regular ammo

But'cha gotta' watch that clown in Miami (Samco) as he commonly overrates the condition of the guns by almost a full grade. Dennis Kroh of Empire Arms located in Florida (at least back in the day when I knew him) used to raid the stash at Samco and confiscate most of the best stuff leaving the rest of the lesser desirable condition guns for Samco's mail order. My suggestion would be, if you're interested in a Swede M41B Sniper, trying to contact Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms first. His prices will be somewhat higher, but a whole lot lesser chance that you'll be dissappointed.

Overall, the Swede Mausers in 6.5X55 are one of the best quality made military mausers in the world. That cartridge in it's European loading pressure(domestic loads are somewhat downloaded) in the 139/140 grain range by Norma will do just about anything you ask of it providing it is with the right type bullet construction for the job. Hard to go wrong with a Swede Mauser in real nice condition.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    I will add to the consensus, great rifles, accurate and low recoil. Privi makes 6.5 at a decent price, and several of the online stores usually have it in stock. I personally like the longer mausers but an m38 would be quite handy. Usually I see the 96s priced slightly less than the 38s.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Hot Swedish babe, only 110 years old!

What more needs to be said?

Attachments

• Swede Close up.jpg
      Swede Close up.jpg
      111.1 KB · Views: 385

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Great guns in my opinion. Just got my 1st 2 recently a Gustav 96 and an Oberndorf 96. Would like to ad a M38 but they're pricier and harder to find locally. I don't have a C&R so I don't know what all is available. Google Swedish Mauser Forum and start hanging out there. It is a wealth of info and I bought one from a member that I'm very happy with. Both of mine have all matching #s. If that is important to you, check any that you find carefully. Most often the back of the sight ladder is not matching and it's hard to see. Cleaning rods usually don't match. Real accurate and low recoil. I don't know of any cheap surplus ammo but you can find Privi for $12.95 to $14.95 per 20. A lot of people buy that and then reload the brass. Watch for ones that have been overly sanded, the wood won't be proud from the metal and stock markings will not be there. You can get involved with these at whatever level you want. If you just want a good shooter, you can find them under $300. The Mauser Forum site will answer all your questions about the stock disc. The numbers rate the bore corrrosion and internal diameter among other things. It's a good addiction to have if there is such a thing. Please let us know how you make out.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Or if you want to really stand out on the shooting line go with the Swedish AG42B! If there was ever a gun that needed a brass catcher it's this puppy. Don't know how much time I spent hunting for brass in the grass. The bolt velocity was so high it chucked 'em a good 30 feet (and eventually the extractor too!). Funky in the extreme but nearly as accurate as the M96. I guarantee nobody else will have one next to you!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I would definitely recommend them, due to the praise I've read about over the years.

Will hopefully have my first M96 next week (thanks, Mawkie!)...or whenever that poor excuse for a west coast gunshop decides to ship it :sad20:
    They've only had my FFL and payment since mid last week.

I may actually shoot this rifle.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Good rifles. The only bad thing I have to say about them is that they have the Mauser chunky front sight. Great cartridge. Good luck finding secret stashes of surplus ammo. I remember them being sold in barrels in late 70s'/80's at low priced chain stores.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Mine has the updated blade front sight. As I recall, the one time I shot it, it was right on at 100 yards.
    Unfortunately it has the genuine Mauser rear sight.

Gotta get it out and shoot it again.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Good rifles. The only bad thing I have to say about them is that they have the Mauser chunky front sight. Great cartridge. Good luck finding secret stashes of surplus ammo. I remember them being sold in barrels in late 70s'/80's at low priced chain stores.

That Swede Mauser "chunky" front sight matched up with the "U" notch rear sight utilized on the Swede Mausers affords a tremendously better sight picture than the standard "V" notched rear and inverted "V" front typically found on other Mausers. The front sight on the Swede M96 is designed to have an elevation battle zero to shoot POA at 300 meters with the rear sight elevation set as low as it will go. Due to the superior performance of the projectile (flat shooting, SD, etc.), the arc of the bullet from muzzle to 300 meters was very minimal compared to other cartridges of the day, and is still one of the flattest shooting calibers (excluding current hotrodded and magnums) in the .264 and up bullet diameters while maintaining pressures within SAAMI specs. As I've stated in my earlier post, the domestic loads that I'm familiar with all download this cartridge and performance is average with these loads. If one wants a GREAT factory load that gives the performance this cartridge is capable, Norma 139 PPC is the way to go. It's flat trajectory, DEEP penetration, and weight retention after expansion makes it a fine load for some of the bigger stuff such as elk, moose, cariboo, and some larger bear spieces up to several hundred pounds out to 200 yards with a decently placed shot. Regarding whitetail deer, just use the downloaded domestic stuff as the Norma ammo is really too much for the smaller deer. I could go on an on about this subject but Swede Mausers and the 6.5X55 cartridge are a complete waste of time, money, and effort as they are totally worthless and should be treated like toilet paper and the crap it wipes; flush it all down the toilet and forget about it all. I tried that with my about 50 or so Swedes and no matter how often I flushed, they just refused to go down. So to all that read this post, I will be accepting aforementioned refuse Swedish firearms crap at the Howard County gunshow this weekend so you don't have to replace your toilet as they WILL break it. If you are unable to bring them to the Howard show this weekend, I'll be in the shop our normally scheduled hours after this show for the remainder of September and it's free of charge.

Last edited:

=GoMango=

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anne Arundel Co.
    Mine has the updated blade front sight. As I recall, the one time I shot it, it was right on at 100 yards.
    Unfortunately it has the genuine Mauser rear sight.

Gotta get it out and shoot it again.

I must be in the minority because I like the sights on my Swede Mauser...
    Now the sights on my VZ.24 Mauser rifles are another story.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    That Swede Mauser "chunky" front sight matched up with the "U" notch rear sight utilized on the Swede Mausers affords a tremendously better sight picture than the standard "V" notched rear and inverted "V" front typically found on other Mausers. The front sight on the Swede M96 is designed to have an elevation battle zero to shoot POA at 300 meters with the rear sight elevation set as low as it will go. Due to the superior performance of the projectile (flat shooting, SD, etc.), the arc of the bullet from muzzle to 300 meters was very minimal compared to other cartridges of the day, and is still one of the flattest shooting calibers (excluding current hotrodded and magnums) in the .264 and up bullet diameters while maintaining pressures within SAAMI specs. As I've stated in my earlier post, the domestic loads that I'm familiar with all download this cartridge and performance is average with these loads. If one wants a GREAT factory load that gives the performance this cartridge is capable, Norma 139 PPC is the way to go. It's flat trajectory, DEEP penetration, and weight retention after expansion makes it a fine load for some of the bigger stuff such as elk, moose, cariboo, and some larger bear spieces up to several hundred pounds out to 200 yards with a decently placed shot. Regarding whitetail deer, just use the downloaded domestic stuff as the Norma ammo is really too much for the smaller deer. I could go on an on about this subject but Swede Mausers and the 6.5X55 cartridge are a complete waste of time, money, and effort as they are totally worthless and should be treated like toilet paper and the crap it wipes; flush it all down the toilet and forget about it all. I tried that with my about 50 or so Swedes and no matter how often I flushed, they just refused to go down. So to all that read this post, I will be accepting aforementioned refuse Swedish firearms crap at the Howard County gunshow this weekend so you don't have to replace your toilet as they WILL break it. If you are unable to bring them to the Howard show this weekend, I'll be in the shop our normally scheduled hours after this show for the remainder of September and it's free of charge.

Remember, you can bring your Swede Mauser to the Howard County gun show this weekend and drop it off at Shooters Discount for proper disposal free, no charge to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom