• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Do you have some kind of insider knowledge that an absolutist negotiating strategy has produced a long term track record as a winning approach?
    Your answer is ”no.”

There is no need to “negotiate“ anything if you already have the necessary votes to pass it without onerous limits.

If they didn’t have the votes, sure, put through what you can.

If you do, be bold.

I honestly wanted to know if their were facts not presented in the article.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    We are not talking about hand to hand combat/self defense or CQB out in the hallways.
    I am also not talking about shooting through doors at unknown targets.
    You wanna carry in the classroom? Then you need to take on a little risk and wait and see who comes through that door carrying what. But that door would be locked.
    I'm not for umpteen different teachers running around in a hallway possibly shooting at each other or getting shot by responding cops, who have pretty fast response times now.

The classroom is your position of dominance, so you control it. Be happy with that.
    Yes, this. Instead of gun free zone schools in which teachers have bravely acted as human shields to soak up bullets headed for their students, this allows a teacher to be an effective defender of his/her students.

It is rare that I'm on break throughout the day. If I have a class, they are my direct responsibility. It wouldn't be very responsible to just abandon them to go poke around the hallway with a handgun. However, if it was planning time, I don't think I could hear kids I care about getting hurt down the hallway without running to fight their attacker, armed or not. I, and other teachers, would accept the risk of getting popped by police at that point to try to save the kids.

Completely knowing every inch of the school and knowing all kids in the building plus their families outside is a pretty solid advantage an armed teacher has too.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Yes, this. Instead of gun free zone schools in which teachers have bravely acted as human shields to soak up bullets headed for their students, this allows a teacher to be an effective defender of his/her students.
    Most of us believe that EACH teacher and staff member should have the option to be trained, qualified and prepared to stop a threat- in the halls or at a classroom door.

Tactics can be trained and planned.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Your answer is ”no.”

There is no need to “negotiate“ anything if you already have the necessary votes to pass it without onerous limits.

If they didn’t have the votes, sure, put through what you can.

If you do, be bold.

I honestly wanted to know if their were facts not presented in the article.
    In response to RFB's observations, the bill sponsor noted in an interview that arming school staff is already permitted and practiced in more isolated school districts. This bill calls for expansion of this practice to more "urban" areas, and the terms were negotiated to blunt opposition from "stakeholders." It was, apparently, crafted to be enacted and then survive local challenges. It was a "finesse."

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I've alw
    Doesn't take that much training to stay hunkered down in a classroom and shoot an armed person who may be coming through the door.
    I always thought that putting your hands up in the air and surrendering was the best course of action? Am I wrong?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I alwa
    Most of us believe that EACH teacher and staff member should have the option to be trained, qualified and prepared to stop a threat- in the halls or at a classroom door.

All schools should just look like this and that would fix the problem.

1714064129494.jpeg

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.

It is rare that I'm on break throughout the day. If I have a class, they are my direct responsibility. It wouldn't be very responsible to just abandon them to go poke around the hallway with a handgun. However, if it was planning time, I don't think I could hear kids I care about getting hurt down the hallway without running to fight their attacker, armed or not. I, and other teachers, would accept the risk of getting popped by police at that point to try to save the kids.

Completely knowing every inch of the school and knowing all kids in the building plus their families outside is a pretty solid advantage an armed teacher has too.
    We build in extra time for teachers to work with students, extra planning time, extra duties, etc. It would be easy to have extra time built in a teachers schedule to walk the halls of a school. If only 10 percent of the staff volunteered it would be significant.

Also, why not use the Md special police laws to provide the training and certify teachers who are willing to take the extra time to get it. Once certified do some training over the summer with local law enforcement. Suddenly each school has 5-10 “police” staff.

But what do I know……..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Tactics for actual Mass Shooter response are extremely * Simple * ( which is not the same thing as Easy ) .

But in the Leftists minds , it's just like Shall Issue debate 30 years ago .

Just like they prophesied Blood in the Streets with constant gunfights over parking spaces , they imagine teachers and staff mowing down students over late homework , or running in the hallway .

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    There are still FFDOs.
    For ignorant, idiots (like me):

Federal Flight Deck Officer

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    We build in extra time for teachers to work with students, extra planning time, extra duties, etc. It would be easy to have extra time built in a teachers schedule to walk the halls of a school. If only 10 percent of the staff volunteered it would be significant.

Also, why not use the Md special police laws to provide the training and certify teachers who are willing to take the extra time to get it. Once certified do some training over the summer with local law enforcement. Suddenly each school has 5-10 “police” staff.

But what do I know……..
    So then the actual police can just sit and wait outside until the special police teachers eliminate the threat and secure the building.
    We knew who the armed Leo's who were flying because we usually meet them. I couldn't possibly do my job if 20 people out of 200 pulled out guns.

Who's the teacher and who is the shooter in the school?
    Every armed person needs to be addressed and that takes time. It's also dangerous.
    It's not an ego thing, it's a matter of shooting tactics in this situation.
    Some things need to be clearly defined and lanes established that need to be adhered to.

I never trusted any armed pilot to just stay in the flight deck if something were to break bad. Probably half said they would come out and "help".
    And I would remind them of their job to fly the plane.

Teachers leaving their kids alone in a classroom to be hunted down is ridiculous.

A whole bunch of guns in one place isn't always the answer people think it is.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    For years the left has displayed mastery at getting small, sometimes seemingly inconsequential, wins, then coming back later to build on those wins. We need to do the same. We forego long game progress by making the perfect the enemy of the good. We've got to remember that this is a sausage makin' business.
    RIGHT!

No one gets from sea level to the top of Mt. Everest in one move. This bill, if signed into law, will make things better today than they were yesterday. Embrace that and work to make things even better tomorrow.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    So then the actual police can just sit and wait outside until the special police teachers eliminate the threat and secure the building.
    We knew who the armed Leo's who were flying because we usually meet them. I couldn't possibly do my job if 20 people out of 200 pulled out guns.

Who's the teacher and who is the shooter in the school?
    Every armed person needs to be addressed and that takes time. It's also dangerous.
    It's not an ego thing, it's a matter of shooting tactics in this situation.
    Some things need to be clearly defined and lanes established that need to be adhered to.

I never trusted any armed pilot to just stay in the flight deck if something were to break bad. Probably half said they would come out and "help".
    And I would remind them of their job to fly the plane.

Teachers leaving their kids alone in a classroom to be hunted down is ridiculous.

A whole bunch of guns in one place isn't always the answer people think it is.
    I'm not saying the teachers would leave their classrooms in a situation, I'm saying trained teachers who did not have students could walk the halls and be ready if a situation arises. I however understand your point, the teachers need to be easy to identify and the priority would be to protect the students under the teachers care.

The only reason I bring up the special police thing is to give an example of how existing laws could be used to make schools safer, not to create a school police force. It also allow more security at afternoon school events.

I am a teacher, I don't want to be a policeman. But I do want to be able to protect my students to the best of my ability.

TD

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The idea of a pitched battle in the halls between armed teachers, armed police and armed homicidal maniacs is a bridge too far.

The very fact of the presence of unidentifiable armed teachers will inhibit the likelihood of an armed lunatic attacking a school.

They're not interested in getting whacked right out of the box. They'll choose other venues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom