• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ifindppl

Sep 13, 2012
    Montgomery County
    I should have posted earlier, but Mark ordered a Ruger Vaquero for me (which I gave to my son - I hold in trust until he is old enough to own). It is really a fine looking firearm. Then when I came in to pick up the Vaquero, I bought the Mini 14, almost on impulse. Thanks to 2A. Now I need to come back for the Dillon Calendar. They come in yet, Mark?

Attachments

• Vaquero 2.jpg
      Vaquero 2.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 404
    • Mini 14.jpg
      Mini 14.jpg
      72.3 KB · Views: 393

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    the new minis are great shooters. The old minis were great shooters, the zero just tended to wander a bit with continued shooting.

The new Tapco mags work great.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Is that the new Mini-14 'tactical'?

If so please post a range report when you've had a chance to shoot it.

ifindppl

Sep 13, 2012
    Montgomery County
    Yes, it is the tactical model. I got out to the range (for only about an hour) with the Mini 14. I am no great shooter but I think the iron sights on the Ruger suck. I put nice groups on paper at 50 yards. The only problem was that they were 6 inches left of center and about 3 inches low. I made adjustments to the sights with the manual in front of me, but it only helped slightly and I was losing daylight. I will brave the cold weather on Thursday and spend more time with them. I read one thread on a Ruger forum where a guy had to adjust the sight all the way to the right to get it on target. He sent the Mini 14 back to Ruger and they did something to it and sent it back - it shot well. I looked at Sight-tech sights online and they are probably a better option than the Ruger sights, but I will adjust the sights first and see if I can get on target and then decide on an after market solution.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    I've been thinking about the Tech-Sights RR200 for my Mini 14 GB too... next year perhaps.

Their 10/22 sights are freaking awesome (TSR200).

Happy Holidays! and Safe Shooting!

ifindppl

Sep 13, 2012
    Montgomery County
    I was able to spend some time at the range today. I adjusted the sights again and getting better groupings, centered as well. I do not believe there is a problem (as I had read about) with the barrel. I am pretty sure it is "operator error". Kind of goes with the NOOB territory of shooting rifles. I received a Sight-Tech today and will install it before getting back out to the range again. It is a fun gun to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom