• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    Is what I could barely hit yesterday.

I stopped off at Delmarva Sporting Clays earlier this week, for some very quick range time.

On the 25 yard berm at the rifle range, I got about 4 pellets onto a chest sized target. The slugs missed completely.

Apparently, an 18" barreled shotgun is really just for very close range.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Your difficulty is definitely not due to barrel length alone. There are many, many 18" shotgun barrels that shoot slugs **OR** buckshot well. My favorite slug gun has a fully rifled Hastings that is 18-1/2" and it shoots great.

The fact that you're shooting both through the same barrel likely means that you're not getting the most from either.

More details about your rig, ammunition and what you're trying to accomplish would help others help you, if that's really what you're looking for and this thread this isn't just a rant.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Apparently, an 18" barreled shotgun is really just for very close range.

It is indeed murderous at close range. I have a printout that discusses various defensive combat rounds for rifles, handguns and shotguns. In the shotgun section, under 12 gauge, is an extensive discussion of the many choices and their advantages and disadvantages. Under 10 gauge, however, it simply says, "Yeow. Load your 10 gauge with whatever the hell you want, and God bless you." :D

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    You should be able to hit a 25 yard target with slugs and the buck will be subject to how your barrel is choked. What type of a shotgun are you shooting and what barrel?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    You should be able to hit a 25 yard target with slugs and the buck will be subject to how your barrel is choked. What type of a shotgun are you shooting and what barrel?

+1 Agree....I was at the range last friday shooting 00 buck and blew the hell out of a B-27 target @ 25yrds (stock Rem 870 Magnum). only 1 pellet was off the target.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    odd. what kind of slugs were you using? with rifled cheapo slugs (winchester x hollow pts i think?) I could kinda hit a 12" target at 100 yards out of a 20" mossy 500 smooth barrel cyl bore

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Could be the sights are off, its not that uncommon. You should pattern the gun. Use large pcs of cardboard and make a dot in the middle. Aim and see if it shoots off to one side or somewhere that you were not aiming. You can read all about patterning a shotgun on the web. I don't think you need to do all that. Just find out if the sights or barrel are off.

good luck

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I had no problem hitting center mass at 75 feet at Continental with the 18.5' Maverick.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not Zombiehunter, but would expect that "kinda hit" would mean : not everytime, but often enough to be worthwhile, and reasonably close when not hitting.
    But with an off the rack smooth bore , and non-picked ammo you should expect most buck pellets to hit human/ deer sized target at 25 , and most slugs to hit human/ deer sized target at 50. " good" bbls, and carefully tested ammo can do better.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Guess the OP dropped out of it.

There really isn't enough info to help the guy and we're just spinning wheels until/unless he comes back and fills in the blanks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most 18-22 "tactical'' shotguns are capable of grouping under 10" at 100 yards with foster slugs out of an IC barrel. With buck shot, IC will group from 6-10" at 25 yards, modified will group the same at 35 yards, and full will push this same group out to about 45 yards. Slugs and shot do normally hit in different places relative to your sight picture, so it can take some time to get used to where they are hitting. Also, due to the recoil, it is all to easy to develop a flinch while shooting, and most of the time that is what is going on weither you realize it or not. You simply have to hold steady slowly squeeze the trigger, and let it surprise you, if you tighten up, or don't follow through with the shot(after it fires, release the trigger slowly, and bring the sights or bead back on target) you will trow the shot off, true with any gun, but especially true with a shotgun. You also want to have a good stance and shoulder the gun firmly, but don't smash it into your sholder before firing, this will help with the recoil somewhat, and make you less prone to a flinch. It also takes a lot of practice to get a consistent sight picture with a bead, they plain suck for precise shots, but do make for very fast target aquisition. If this is going to be a defensive gun only, not a bird or clays gun, then you may want to consider notch and post or ghost ring sights, either is much easier to line up precisely than a bead.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    25 yards with a (20") Mossberg 590 Marine.
    As you can see, 00 Buck and Slugger hit their mark.

Photo%20Library%20-%20081.JPG

There has to be another explanation for the OP's problems.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    No sights is no big deal if you are able to align the bead in the center of the receiver. Many people, including myself, have taken deer at 50 yards plus with a smoothbore slug gun and a bead.

No rifling is good news for buckshot, but the pattern density may be the problem if the choke is too open, or, the pattern may be tight enough but misplaced. Is your pattern centered?

As far as slugs go, the selection of the slug design is important and certain slugs simply do not shoot well from a smoothbore. Normally, the old style Foster type slugs do well, as do Brennekes. Any sort of sabot, such at the various expanding bullets, is usually more suited to a rifled bore. What sort of slugs are you using?

ETA: Remington "un-rifled" slugs, like this (but Remington)?

PPSLUG.jpg

http://www.winchester.com/news/newsview.aspx?storyid=109

FWIW, I have never had good accuracy with Remington slugs, which seem undersize. Before frustration sets in, I'd also try similar slugs from WW and Federal. My own slug gun will put WW slugs on a beer can at 50.

You might also dry fire a few times between shots, and see if you are flinching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom