• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Good job Mike :thumbsup:

Gotta say, i've never tried a neck shot. Sounds like it drops them in there tracks?

They r dead before they hit the ground. I always take that shot when presented. The one on opening morning was about the same. I tested and tuned that gun all summer and it's crazy accurate with 110 grain handloads. The neck shot one was 92 yards the other was 187 yards. It was heart shot. Went 25 yards.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    They r dead before they hit the ground. I always take that shot when presented. The one on opening morning was about the same. I tested and tuned that gun all summer and it's crazy accurate with 110 grain handloads. The neck shot one was 92 yards the other was 187 yards. It was heart shot. Went 25 yards.

Good to know. I'm going to try it when i can get a chance

I shoot the Federal Fusions out of my 6.8spc. They dont go far :thumbsup:

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Young 8 Point

Shot this guy about 11 this morning, only the third buck I've seen in 2 months of hunting with bow and rifle. Nice to get my .30-06 out again, it's been in the closet since a 2004 Alaska caribou hunt. Was a nice way to cap rifle season, after spending 9 hours in the woods Friday and not seeing a single deer.

20151212_111148.jpg

20151212_110955.jpg

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I sat in the stand with my 6 yr old grandson this eve.It was his first time out.He only lasted an hour,which I already thought would happen.The stand is about 100 yards from my parents house.He got down and walked back.I stayed till dark and didnt see any deer.With it being so warm I was almost hoping not to shoot one. lol

Now my 5 year old grand daughter wants me to take her.With the young ens getting a start this year,I wish I had a place to take them squirrel hunting.My parents place is only 4 acres and I dont want to run off the few deer that live there.

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    Shot this guy about 11 this morning, only the third buck I've seen in 2 months of hunting with bow and rifle. Nice to get my .30-06 out again, it's been in the closet since a 2004 Alaska caribou hunt. Was a nice way to cap rifle season, after spending 9 hours in the woods Friday and not seeing a single deer.

20151212_111148.jpg

20151212_110955.jpg

Really nice pix MDHunter and a real nice buck. Congratulations on a fine hunt.:thumbsup:

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Didn't see a single antler in 4 days. I settled for filling the freezer without them.

361fafbcb10502aefcfa68d682b9b8f4.jpg

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    First Hunt/First Deer

Another story of a new hunter getting their first deer, this is my first hunt as well. I got an invite from a buddy to hunt his 180 acre farm in somerset county for my first hunt. He had 5 ladder stands set up and had drove down and back from baltimore the day before we got to put corn on all the stands. We left baltimore around 11 and got down there around 2. We pretty much got our gear out and were in the woods by 3:30.

Day 1 Friday Evening:

I was in an older ladder stand that had a corn pile about that I ranged out at 32 yards and I put some apple attractant stuff out at about 25 yards through the only two shooting lanes. I was excited because it was rifle county but the stand he had me in there was no reason to have a rifle so I just brought my crossbow. I got all set up and settled after about 10-15 min. It was really warm especially after moving all around to set up. I actually took my jacket off and was just in long sleeves. I sat as quiet and still as possible and could hear everything in the woods since it was so quiet. The leaves falling off the tree got me numerous times thinking it was a deer coming, then there were two squirrels running around that sounded like huge deer to me, not knowing what to listen for. About and hour in, I heard what sounded like a horse or a cow snorting, it sounded like it was two feet from me but behind me, I have no idea how far away it was but it sounded super loud. From talking to my buddy, it was a snort wheeze which they said was the deer busting me by smell. I had all my clothes in scentless or earth scent detergent along with spraying before I went out. I did sweat some getting everything up in the stand and setting up so that may have been it. I saw nothing that night. My buddy saw two does he passed on and shot at a buck near dark and thought he may have missed.

Day Two:

Morning: So we get up a 4:30 and dont end up starting out to the stands until about 6. We had 3 more guys come in friday night and so we had 3 guys hunting in the morning. I was surprised to find that we had 4G cell service in the woods and were able to keep in contact over a group text the whole time. I dont hear anything then I think I hear something coming and its the squirrel again who starts on the corn pile. Then around 7:15 I see a small but not tiny doe. It comes in from the far side of the corn pile and my buddy had put some thich branches against the tree to force the deer to eat from the front, this deer stuck its head between the branches so I had no shot. I was like you have to be kidding me. My heart is beating a million miles a minute. The deer then makes its way around to the front and starts eating in perfect broadside position for me to take the shot. I go to raise my crossbow as slow as possible and dont even move it 2 inches and the deer looks right at me, I continue to slowly raise it and get the red dot on the kill shot and with as little shaking as I could I take the shot. The deer bolts and at first I think I must have missed, but then I see it go down about 30 yards away. The shot when directly through the heart and blood trail was huge even though I didnt need it. FIRST DEER DOWN, I am stoked and text my buddy to let him know.

I wait about 30-45 min to see if anything else comes in and it was right around time to get out of the stand. In talking to my buddy he tells me to rub the head to check if its a button buck, which I never really thought of or knew about. When I get to the deer I check and sure enough it is a button buck. I guess I should have done a little research on that but it never came up. It was still a decent sized deer for a button buck so it wasnt a waste. I dragged it back to the house which was bout 300 yards away.

Evening:
    We get in the stand around 3:00, This time all 5 guys are in the stands, well 4 with my buddies dad coming late around 3:45. I havent seen anything until about 3:50 when 3 deer run by my right side where I didnt have good visability due to brush. They were running so I didnt get a good look at what they even were. I saw nothing but the squirrel until around 5:15 when I saw another single deer maybe a tad smaller than the on I shot in the morning and come in and start eating on the corn pile. Thinking it was likely another button buck since it was by itself I didnt take a shot. In hindsight the deer was very wary and looking around contantly so it may have been a doe. I was hoping it was acting like that because there was a buck on its trail. One other guy shots a decent sized doe that night but that was all.

Gutting/Processing:
    I dragged the deer back to the house where my buddies showed me how to field dress it. We took it back and quartered it and put it back on ice. We ate the heart and threw the ribs on the grill for lunch, both were very good. I read about the heart and recipes to cook it well, my buddies cooked it about the same. We processed both deers after the evening hunt which my buddies showed me how to do and I worked the electric grinder they had for the ground. It wasn't too bad with a few guys, We talked about processors and they said at most of them you aren't likely to get your actual deer back and just a certain number of pounds.

All it all it was an awesome trip and my buddy was great in showing me the ropes and putting me in a good stand. He said he actually has trouble getting his family to hunt with him down there because of them always having the property and kind of being spoiled with it. So hopefully I will get to go back again this season. It will just be tough to get away again with a 19 month old and one on the way. I know I can't expect those results everytime but it was good to at least expericence harvesting one and all of what to do if I do get one by myself at Loch Raven or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom