• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    There's an interesting one off of Erdman Ave at the city line. Claims disabled vet status. Missing a leg, wears clothes with various vet organizations. Said he had two tours in Iraq followed by one in Afghanistan where he met an IED. I asked about disabiity, housing allowances, etc. He said he gets medical, disability, but no housing. After he cashes his check and pays the rent there's not much left so he hits the corner. I've passed him some money. If he's lying, he certainly puts up quite a show and you can't fake the prosthetic leg.

My wife raises money for Wounded Warrior Project. She meets vets who have one or both legs blown off that run marathons. There is no excuse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    Back in the day I used to feel sorry for some of these folks until 7 or 8 years ago I was working in Arlington managing a large chain (nameless) grocery store. Earlier that day I had given one of the stoplight homeless people a couple of bucks on the way in to work. Later that same day after 7pm or so I see this same "homeless" guy standing at my customer service counter with a HUGE wad of cash. He was counting out the ones in piles of $20 the fives in piles of $50 the tens in piles of $100's asking the customer service girl to exchange all the little bills for larger denominations. He must have had at least $500 bucks. He then proceeded back to our beer and wine section (yes in Virginia all the supermarkets have beer and wine) and brought up a case of beer and 2 bottles of wine. Needless to say I stood there with my mouth wide open and have never given another nickel to any street beggar. True story……….

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    There once was a guy that would stand at Guilford Driver and MD 85 in Frederick, with a sign asking for money. I never gave him anything because I rarely had coins or bills on me at the time. One day after a long day out there, I saw him walk in Wal-Mart and buy a brand new HDTV. That royally pissed me off.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    My gun range began organizing food drives at some of our monthly meetings. All the food we collect goes directly to the local food bank. My wife and I have started doing this at home as well after our daughter did some volunteer hours there (different location than the back the range serves). We saw how it was mostly families coming in for the food so we know the food we donate is money well spent.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    There was a guy that worked the intersection at Randolph Road and Georgia Avenue for quite a while. I happen to know he had a fairly new truck parked nearby and was driving in from Virginia everyday. I had reason to talk with him one day and he told me he works construction and comes to MoCo because that's where the money is and they don't mind parting with it.

I honestly think some motorists don't want to give money, but they're too intimindated to stand their ground. The others give some cash and feel good about themselves for the rest of the day; it's more about them than it is the panhandler. Unfortunately the motorists are perpetuating the problem.

Much of the time these guys are getting paper money. And they're at the intersection all day. Do the math and you'll be astonished what they're coming away with. Why should they get a job sweeping up at the local McDonald's or gas station where they'd have to pay taxes? Sometimes we don't realize the problems we create.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    100% true story.

About 2 years ago my girlfriend at the time (my wife now) and I were at a party at Jerry D's Saloon on Harford road near Taylor ave. I stepped outside for some tobacco and some bum comes up on his bike. I figure "here we go" and the dude walks over and says "Hey man I won't blow smoke up your ass. I'm a wino. Think you could spot me a few bucks for a drink?"

I figure what the hell? He's honest and I'm out for a drink myself. So I toss him 5 bucks. But after that I expect him to go away.

I figure that's the deal. I give you money. You go away. But he doesn't.

He won't stop harassing me for more. Until someone walks out of the bar and he hits them up with a completely different story. They shoot him down on site and he turns to me and says "Assholes. They must be F***ing republicans!"

My response was to look him square in the eye and say
    "I'm a F***ing Republican."

Then I saw his face change and it looked like someone kicked his puppy. lol. So he grabs my left hand and I cock my right hand back ready to knock his ass into traffic and he lays this shit on me.

"Do you know what's worse than a Gypsy curse?!? A Gypsy BLESSING! MILLIONAIRE! MILLIONAIRE! MILLIONAIRE!"

Then he hopped back on his bike and hauled ass down the road still calling me a millionaire as he peddled his drunk ass off. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

michaera

Love me some freedom.
    Jan 10, 2014
    There's a young woman...maybe early 20's who frequents the area on New Hampshire Ave close to 495 right in front of Urban BBQ. Don't know the cross streets but I've been to Urban BBQ several times and always see her.
    If you're in the area around lunch time, have lunch at Urban BBQ and I guarantee you'll see her come in to Urban, get some food, the walk down to Starbucks to get a $5 double frappe mocha java something or other. She has a partner...I assume a boyfriend or husband. He's out some but I see her out there more often.
    She was pregnant for a while. Sign read "pregnant and homeless, please help, god bless." Now that she's no longer pregnant it reads, "single mom, need help, no job, god bless."
    I guess standing on the corner is their job and they do lunch at Urban BBQ and Starbucks.

I don't know if this is the same girl or not, but I see one on the exit to get onto 650 north from 495 westbound. There's a traffic light at the exit and she collects during rush hour when the cycle is especially long. Twice I've seen her telling people, who are trying to give her money, to "hold on" so she could take calls ON HER MOBILE PHONE.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I don't know if this is the same girl or not, but I see one on the exit to get onto 650 north from 495 westbound. There's a traffic light at the exit and she collects during rush hour when the cycle is especially long. Twice I've seen her telling people, who are trying to give her money, to "hold on" so she could take calls ON HER MOBILE PHONE.

Same girl......btw she has a new man in her life. He was smoking in front of the pawn shop while she was giving him the money.

michaera

Love me some freedom.
    Jan 10, 2014
    Same girl......btw she has a new man in her life. He was smoking in front of the pawn shop while she was giving him the money.

Sigh. I'm going to ask her for gas money next time I'm waiting at that exit. Just a couple of bucks. You know, so I can get home.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Sigh. I'm going to ask her for gas money next time I'm waiting at that exit. Just a couple of bucks. You know, so I can get home.

Ask her new boyfriend. Tall white guy (like 6 ft 3) very skinny, with slick back hair. He has the money, she just works for it. It's like legal pimping but way worse.

On a side note I pulled over a guy who had a homeless need money for food sign. It said Iraq vet on it. He admitted he was a vet and stated he panhandles for drugs.

I honestly didn't know if I should feel terrible or be pissed.

michaera

Love me some freedom.
    Jan 10, 2014
    Ask her new boyfriend. Tall white guy (like 6 ft 3) very skinny, with slick back hair. He has the money, she just works for it. It's like legal pimping but way worse.

On a side note I pulled over a guy who had a homeless need money for food sign. It said Iraq vet on it. He admitted he was a vet and stated he panhandles for drugs.

I honestly didn't know if I should feel terrible or be pissed.

There's a shelter in Jessup that my wife works with. They help many in need. Just as many refuse help however because the shelter wants to get them on their own two feet. If they're on drugs and have no desire to get sober or if they just want to keep panhandling instead, the shelter can't let them continue to abuse their resources.

Bottom line, it seems like some want to get out of that way of life and some don't. With the particular vet in question, I might be on the slightly pissed side if you feel he doesn't want to get better.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    If they say they need gas, and I think it's reasonably sincere, I might pump $5 or so just to shut them up.

I'll buy a burger for someone claiming to be hungry.

But I'll never give cash.

In fact, next time I'm approached on the street, I'll ask, "Do you have change for a hundred?" Chances are they will.

The gas scam .. I asked her if I saw her here last week ( buff ), she tried to counter bluff -- so I tossed her a few bucks ans the watched as she got into a runing car and rode off :)

then I told the manager that If I saw this again at his shop I would have him charged as a accessory to the bunko :)

Then there was the blind woman that looked both ways before crossing the street. The lady with the same flat tire 3 weeks apart. and the true genius that as using a broken vencian blind as a crunch :)

In NY they are even more dangerous and aggressive .

I am thinking we can start taking pictures

But here's something you may not realize --- I have reason to belivethat these scams are being taught by community help organisations funded by our own government -- can't prove it- and don''t have time to try.. but if I go missing it may be the community outreach mafia :)

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    At a red light one had a sign that said "I'll be honest, I just want a Miler Lite." Guy in front of me put his car in park, jumped out and opened his trunk. He opened a cooler and handed the panhandler 2 Miller Lites. We were all laughing as the light turned green.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I recently moved from Rockville to Fairfax County VA and I don't see panhandlers anymore. I used to see countless bums along 355 but they must not be able to swim because they don't cross the river!

Does anyone remember the guy who used to always be on 355 anywhere from Bethesda to Gude Dr who had the weird deformed leg that arched out like a half circle? It was disgusting and he cut the pant leg off that leg so the whole thing was visible. That is the only guy I ever gave to because I felt that even if he made $500/day it wouldn't make me want to switch places!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I recently moved from Rockville to Fairfax County VA and I don't see panhandlers anymore. I used to see countless bums along 355 but they must not be able to swim because they don't cross the river!

Does anyone remember the guy who used to always be on 355 anywhere from Bethesda to Gude Dr who had the weird deformed leg that arched out like a half circle? It was disgusting and he cut the pant leg off that leg so the whole thing was visible. That is the only guy I ever gave to because I felt that even if he made $500/day it wouldn't make me want to switch places!

Give it time. If more retarded liberals like my sister in law move from Maryland to Virginia, Virginia is doomed.

She actually had the nerve to tell me all the great things No VA has to offer; Low taxes, great schools and safe neighborhoods. I countered that if she doesn't realize that Virginia has historically been run by conservatives and that it was conservative politics that made all those things possible then she should seek a mental evaluation.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    There was a whole family at the entrance of Sams club today. Man, woman and 4 kids. The sign said please help me feed my 4 kids. I am sure they are hiring at Sams club. I don't get it there in an area where the mother or father could walk to places and apply for a job. No excuse they could take turns applying while the other watched the kids.

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    This type of shit should be against the law, although I will not get my hopes up the leftist that control Montgomery County will EVER do anything about it.

Rant over....

Yeah let's just jail all of the poor! Remember America is a christian nation! :rolleyes:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Give it time. If more retarded liberals like my sister in law move from Maryland to Virginia, Virginia is doomed.

She actually had the nerve to tell me all the great things No VA has to offer; Low taxes, great schools and safe neighborhoods. I countered that if she doesn't realize that Virginia has historically been run by conservatives and that it was conservative politics that made all those things possible then she should seek a mental evaluation.

The liberals will move away from the chit they create, the proceed to bring their chit to a new neighborhood. They will wonder why they can never get away from it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom