• Status
    Not open for further replies.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    second page left side..

However.....would not be in violation....

1. The individual is licensed by the state or political subdivision to possess the firearm, and the license was issued after law enforment officials verified that the individual is qualified to received the license;

am i reading it wrong? :innocent0

No. That's why having a VA permit if you spend time in VA is a good idea so you don't violate the GFSZA.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Federal GFSZA

Once a customer leaves private property located within 1,000 feet of a school with a firearm, they MAY be in violation of Federal Law.

then everything else in there includes reasons that you are NOT in violation

- licensed to do so
    - firearm unloaded in locked container
    - for school approved program
    - under contract with the school
    - LEO

"if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the state"

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    does reciprocity count as the State licensing you to do so? isn't the idea that they accept your license from another state being equivalent to being licensed by them directly?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    does reciprocity count as the State licensing you to do so? isn't the idea that they accept your license from another state being equivalent to being licensed by them directly?

This has been argued ad nauseum both here and on other forums. There is no case law AFAIK. According to the BATFE opinion, NO. You must have a permit from the state the school is in.

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Isn't FL good in VA? Do you gain anything by having a VA permit over using FL's reciprocity in VA?

yes, FL is good in VA, and a non-resident VA permit is not good in FL. But FL and VA have slightly different reciprocity across the country. For example, my non-resid permit is good in WI, but FLorida's is not. That said, FL definitely has greater coverage than VA, with several more states than VA. But that's ok, as I wanted VA because I go there all the time (I am 3 miles from the river and my son goes to school in VA) and it allows me to go by the schools in VA without any fear of inadvertently violating the GFSZA, See 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I'm not sure, but I thought most said we had to get past 08/07, not 08/08.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

The stay is lifted 14 days after the entry of the latest order, which was July 23. Under the FRCP, you start counting on the next day, 7.24. The 14 days thus run from 7/24 through and including all of August 6, and thus expire as of 12;01 AM August 7.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The stay is lifted 14 days after the entry of the latest order, which was July 23. Under the FRCP, you start counting on the next day, 7.24. The 14 days thus run from 7/24 through and including all of August 6, and thus expire as of 12;01 AM August 7.

Glad that you were able to clarify that. I had been under the impression that it was the 8th, as were many others.

Rossi357

Mar 8, 2012
    Sandy Eggo
    A question for the legal wizards here.
    It the CA leaves Judge Legg's ruling stand, and SCOTUS denies cert, how persuasive would this be with all the other cases in other districts.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    A question for the legal wizards here.
    It the CA leaves Judge Legg's ruling stand, and SCOTUS denies cert, how persuasive would this be with all the other cases in other districts.

The CA4 decision will be controlling precedent in the CA4 and in all district courts in the CA4. The CA4 consists of Maryland, West VA, VA, NC and SC. In all other circuits it is regarded as "persuasive" precedent, not binding on district courts in that circuit or on other CAs in other circuits. How persuasive is a product of how well it is reasoned and just how it sits with the other court.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom