• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    innocent until proven guilty has been a nice fairy tale in this country for a long time ... cop said you were going too fast then your were going to fast, no proof necessary.

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    Well damn. The legal system is effed. Why haven't charges been brought against any of them?

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    what is scary to me is these prosecutors keep getting away with this. there is no accountability. the founding fathers are rolling in their graves

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    This is a good round-up of why I think prosecutorial immunity is such a harmful position to have and is incompatible with any worthwhile definition of 'justice' - as the Stanford Prison Experiment showed, power without repercussion breeds monsters.

atreeves

Apr 6, 2011
    I can't get over the one about the prosecutor charging the 6yo with Sexual Assault? Really? REALLY?!?! I can't even say what goes through my head reading that. I'll end up on a list :wtf:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I was charged with a crime I didn't commit a long time ago, the result of poor work by a particular MSP Detective. Fortunately I was acquitted properly and the Detective was mocked on the stand by the judge. It can happen to anyone and it is a nightmare to live through.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I think it's interesting that the DA for the Mark Fiorino case was listed. But this whole list just goes to show how corrupt the whole system is. There should be penalties for people that are blatantly wrong. It would stop a lot of this nonsense.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Somewhere along the line, these prosecutors missed their legal ethics classes. A lawyer's duty is to his client. In other words, you try to get the best result for your client that the applicable law allows. A lawyer for a government entity owes his duty to the legal system itself, and the pursuit of justice. This may sound like "happy talk," but most of us take it more seriously than you could imagine. When I was in public employment, I tried very hard to make sure "the right thing" happened. I still do, but I cannot take an action to the detriment of my client.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    That's what defense lawyers are for, and that's what plaintiff's lawyer exist.

First you get yourself acquited, then you sue the living f--k out of everyone around you.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That's what defense lawyers are for, and that's what plaintiff's lawyer exist.

First you get yourself acquited, then you sue the living f--k out of everyone around you.

Sounds nice, but not always realistic in every scenario. First if you want an immediate expungement in MD you have to sign their liability waiver form. Otherwise you have to wait with the records out there for anyone to find which may impact your employment. Second you have to pay an attorney up front for this suit, which after spending thousands of dollars on a defense might not be possible.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    And, of course, you have to clear the hurdle of prosecutorial immunity. The sad fact is that you cannot successfully maintain a suit against a prosecutor despite his or her flagrant violations of ethical duties. Your suit will not survive a motion to dismiss or motion for summary judgment. There was a Supreme Court opinion a week or two ago on that point. Very, very bad conduct on the part of the government, and the victim could not maintain a suit.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    Sounds nice, but not always realistic in every scenario. First if you want an immediate expungement in MD you have to sign their liability waiver form. Otherwise you have to wait with the records out there for anyone to find which may impact your employment. Second you have to pay an attorney up front for this suit, which after spending thousands of dollars on a defense might not be possible.

I love how when someone is sick they won't hesitate one second to go see a doctor. Even though tens of thousands of dollars later, they still can't cure you.

But when it's a legal problem all of the sudden you see these same fools try to be their own Perry Mason's, and when that fails, bitch and moan like a p**y about the price of a lawyer (....but remain silent about the price of a doctor).

p.s. Can I get an "AMEN" from Rusty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom