• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Seems the uppers and lowers are not as common as I would have thought.
    Any one else built one, and have suggestions?
    Go ahead, inundate me with ideas and suggestions!
    I was thinking a non-reciprocating side-cocker, but want to heard from the experts./

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are a few people I know that built them, usually finnicky and underwhelmed. Seems the general advice is 9mm or nothing, especially with blowback.

I would DEFINITELY look into something like building on a CMMG Banshee RDB setup, delayed blowback really shines in larger calibers. It can be done with blowback and G21 mags, but the magwell has to be wider than the AR15 platform normally has, so there tends to be fewer companies that make them, and pins, mag catches and LRBHO tend to be one off parts. There are a few that use 20rd 1911 mags or UMP mags, including Macon's conversion block, about the only way to build a 45 PCC on a standard AR15 lower. I did shoot the Juggernaut AR45 and hated it, recoil is really harsh, being blowback that didn't seem tuned all that well. There are some non-AR PCCs that might be cool, Ruger has a new one, and of course a Thompson clone is always cool.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    this seems interesting. Otherwise, there are a bunch of other non-ar .45 PCCs that might be better... like if you can still snag a .45 beretta cx4 or something.
    And +1 for a thompson. It lacks a lot of features over a modern PCC, but damn they are cool. I haven't shot one in a while... but I reallllllllly liked it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    this seems interesting. Otherwise, there are a bunch of other non-ar .45 PCCs that might be better... like if you can still snag a .45 beretta cx4 or something.
    And +1 for a thompson. It lacks a lot of features over a modern PCC, but damn they are cool. I haven't shot one in a while... but I reallllllllly liked it.

Love that gun...

thompson gif.gif

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day , when Oly Arms was blazing the trail for Pistol Cal AR , their .45acp used then common Grease Gun mags .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seems the uppers and lowers are not as common as I would have thought.
    Any one else built one, and have suggestions?
    Go ahead, inundate me with ideas and suggestions!
    I was thinking a non-reciprocating side-cocker, but want to heard from the experts./
    If it's a carbine you have in mind, I would strongly consider the CMMG RDB

Pistol AR? They have that too!

These things really run nicely. Very good dot control.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hi. I built two 45 ACP PCC's. One standard blowback, the other radial delayed blowback. The radial delayed probably twice the money but a really nice shooter and reliable and does not require any tuning.

If you want to build a Banshee clone, get your CMMG lower, barrel and bolt from someone other than CMMG and you'll save like $200. You may have to wait 2 weeks to get though.

I got the upper and hand guard from CMMG so it's pretty close to a Banshee without spending $1700 and they match the lower. You can then put your own trigger and furniture on it. If you want you can get CMMG's lower parts kit but it's pricey and I wanted my own furniture and trigger. You can use any AR trigger.

I will look and see if I can find out who I ordered my parts from (don't remember off the top of my head). The CMMG upper and lower are Cerakoted and well-made.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There are a few people I know that built them, usually finnicky and underwhelmed. Seems the general advice is 9mm or nothing, especially with blowback.

I would DEFINITELY look into something like building on a CMMG Banshee RDB setup, delayed blowback really shines in larger calibers. It can be done with blowback and G21 mags, but the magwell has to be wider than the AR15 platform normally has, so there tends to be fewer companies that make them, and pins, mag catches and LRBHO tend to be one off parts. There are a few that use 20rd 1911 mags or UMP mags, including Macon's conversion block, about the only way to build a 45 PCC on a standard AR15 lower. I did shoot the Juggernaut AR45 and hated it, recoil is really harsh, being blowback that didn't seem tuned all that well. There are some non-AR PCCs that might be cool, Ruger has a new one, and of course a Thompson clone is always cool.
    I used a Macon armory block and it accepts HK USC mags but they don't make it any more. Too bad because it runs well. I think OP is better off with a dedicate RDB lower that takes Glock mags.

IMG_2748.JPG

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OP I don't know if you are going pistol or rifle.

Here is a great price on a 8" and 16" barrel/bolt combo

The lower from CMMG. You can choose a Cerakote color.

Matching Upper. Can also choose a color.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I was thinking
    I used a Macon armory block and it accepts HK USC mags but they don't make it any more. Too bad because it runs well. I think OP is better off with a dedicate RDB lower that takes Glock mags.

View attachment 467477
    About your builds when this came up, you do your homework on this stuff, and have some cool rifles to show for it. Macon makes decent stuff, their current AR45 adapter takes 1911 mags instead of UMP. Really wish someone would come up with a gas delayed blowback upper for PCCs. ARs probably would be easier to adapt to standard uppers than roller delay, and tends to work very well with a wide variety of ammo and running suppressed.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    You'll probably need one of these lowers. I believe they say a standard upper will work with these lowers. You can ask them if you go this route. They are very good with inquiries.

Wow. I'd been on Pro2A before, but never realized they had all that, at really reasonable prices, too.
    Looks like when I finish the .204 build, I'll be set at this place. Might even submit a Form 1 and SBR the .45...

Thanks.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Is it just me? or does anyone else hate the looks of a PCC lower with a full size 5.56 magwell with a little 9mm mag in it?? looks like some kluged together BS

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I was thinking

About your builds when this came up, you do your homework on this stuff, and have some cool rifles to show for it. Macon makes decent stuff, their current AR45 adapter takes 1911 mags instead of UMP. Really wish someone would come up with a gas delayed blowback upper for PCCs. ARs probably would be easier to adapt to standard uppers than roller delay, and tends to work very well with a wide variety of ammo and running suppressed.
    The Macon option would also be a good one using a standard AR lower. Kind of what I did except now with a different mag format. My Macon adapter has been running well with the RDB. Lot's of choices out there OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom