• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    So, anyone here ever played with mortars, real ones not black powder. I have been giving some thought to doing a form one and restoring a demilled WWII mortar. I figure I can make up some practice rounds and have some fun playing lawn darts at extreme range. Lol

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I would love to see a skilled gunsmith make something like this, and not the clowns at Red Jacket.

I say go for it.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    This is kind of a bump...

There was a mortar at the AGC's Wounded Warrior Day, so someone will eventually connect the dots to put you in touch with these guys in the link. However, they might be using black powder. Can you tell by the smoke?

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1338655&postcount=65

That is definitely a black powder mortar patterned after civil war or older design. I am looking at a modern type mortar that you drop the shell in and it fires. The black powder would be fun, but I am looking to build something that fits in to my more modern firearm collection. Maybe one day it will make an appearance at a MDS shoot, provided I make the time to do it.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The older mortars, I played with was nothing more than a tube, with a pin at the bottom. If you get a parts kits, make sure the sight and tripod are included.

The newer firing mechanisms are pretty cool.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    There was a mortar at the AGC's Wounded Warrior Day, so someone will eventually connect the dots to put you in touch with these guys in the link.

Man, they sure have lighten up at the AGC since we redid the range rules the first time a few years back (not the current 8 pages of rules no one reads). Not that I have any problem with it but that mortar is breaking a few range rules... but it sure it cool and hope they can keep shooting it.

A modern mortar would be awesome... just don't screw it up!

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Yeah, they aren't super complicated. There are some critical measurements and some time consuming machining required to build a proper tube and firing device. Luckily I have found some good blueprints. If I go 60mm, practice projectiles are available. If i go with a firing 50mm, the mortar will be clear, but the ammo will probably need to be made. That wouldn't be a deal breaker, as it would kind of neat shooting my own custom projectile.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I have 2 demilled british 2" mortars. When I was active in the 193rd rifles ww2 russian unit we used the mortars with a 2 charge black powder load they are real easy to make some easter eggs some film canasters black powder and fuse and bang a functional mortar.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Not that I have any problem with it but that mortar is breaking a few range rules... but it sure it cool and hope they can keep shooting it.

What range rule was broken?

I saw no long term damage done to the range.

I do know that from time to time someone plays with a black powder cannon at the AGC.

This is a gray area

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    What range rule was broken?

I saw no long term damage done to the range.

I do know that from time to time someone plays with a black powder cannon at the AGC.

This is a gray area

No not really as you can't get around rule:

9. F. Shots fired shall strike the designated impact area in line with shooters position.

You can clearly see it does not hit the impart area. This would be pretty hard with a mortar like this. So you end up putting the projectile in the grass or woods which is breaking 9.F. Now I am certainly not going to be that A-Hole to call you on it at the AGC but you might want to be ready for an answer or come to the trustees for specific permission to fire this on the range which would override the Range Rules. You know how the AGC is... the day you want to fire 15 rounds will be the day someone complains after the first round and forces the RO to shut you down.

I see no real damage either. However there is no real damage with someone shooting low and in the grass but that call that all the time. We pay good money to have that grass cut and they don't want you doing it for free!

A cannon, at 100 yards I assume is not Plunging fire but is still direct fire not much different than a rifle. So I assume hitting the impact area would not be to hard.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    The clowns at Red Jacket safely reactivated a demilled Lahti. WTF have you done lately?

Not much of anything lately. Just hangin out in my folks basement.

Red Jacket guys have too much of an ego trip for my taste. I think our resident gunsmiths have way more talent, ingenuity and personality to know when their heads aren't the size of hot air balloons. I appreciate some of their innovations in their designs, but I think their exectuion of said designs is in poor form.

Good luck to all those with builds in the process.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    No not really as you can't get around rule:

9. F. Shots fired shall strike the designated impact area in line with shooters position.

You can clearly see it does not hit the impart area. This would be pretty hard with a mortar like this. So you end up putting the projectile in the grass or woods which is breaking 9.F. Now I am certainly not going to be that A-Hole to call you on it at the AGC but you might want to be ready for an answer or come to the trustees for specific permission to fire this on the range which would override the Range Rules. You know how the AGC is... the day you want to fire 15 rounds will be the day someone complains after the first round and forces the RO to shut you down.

I see no real damage either. However there is no real damage with someone shooting low and in the grass but that call that all the time. We pay good money to have that grass cut and they don't want you doing it for free!

A cannon, at 100 yards I assume is not Plunging fire but is still direct fire not much different than a rifle. So I assume hitting the impact area would not be to hard.

Yeah and if he starts the process now he might get an answer in a few years..lol

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yeah and if he starts the process now he might get an answer in a few years..lol

Well if no one has a problem with it, it will take you 5 mins at one of the monthly AGC trustee meetings. If you are really interested in doing this, I will be happy to point you the right way. I was a trustee myself less than a year ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom