• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I've had my MD permit for over a year now and my SC permit for over 6 years. I'm retired so I'm not traveling around much and I live in a relatively safe area. When I do go out I don't visit dangerous places. When I go to Baltimore I'm going to a ball game so no guns allowed there. If I go out to dinner, which I frequently do, I usually have an adult beverage so can't have a gun there. The odds of me needing a carry gun are very close to zero. If I would get in a situation where I needed one, the bad guy would probably already have the drop on me so I'm probably not going to reach for my piece with a gun pointed at me. Also I think it's hard to justify using a gun in defense at any more than "bad breath" distance. Plus what happens if you miss, or the bullet goes through the bad guy and hits an innocent? What happens if another person with a firearm (police?) mistakes you for the bad guy because you're standing there with a gun in your hand? I would think twice about using a gun to defend someone other than my wife or myself due to recent situations where the good guy gets arrested for preventing the perp from carrying out his crime. It's also a pita to carry anyway. My smallest gun is a Ruger LCP Max which is about as small as it gets and its still not as comfortable as carrying nothing. There is a lot that can go wrong when you use use a gun and not much that can go right. For me, the odds against outweigh the odds for a carry gun. I'll keep my permits but I think I'll be carrying much less now. Anyone else disillusioned about carrying after years of fighting to get a permit?
    The odds of anyone needing a carry gun are very close to zero. I carry as much as I can, these days you never know when/where/if you'll need it. I'd rather have the decision be up to me and not leave it up to some scumbag whether I live or die.
    Honestly it sounds like you're have too many "what ifs" and aren't very comfortable with carrying, not everyone is. That's perfectly ok, better to admit that to yourself now than get into a bad situation.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I've had my MD permit for over a year now and my SC permit for over 6 years. I'm retired so I'm not traveling around much and I live in a relatively safe area. When I do go out I don't visit dangerous places. When I go to Baltimore I'm going to a ball game so no guns allowed there. If I go out to dinner, which I frequently do, I usually have an adult beverage so can't have a gun there. The odds of me needing a carry gun are very close to zero. If I would get in a situation where I needed one, the bad guy would probably already have the drop on me so I'm probably not going to reach for my piece with a gun pointed at me. Also I think it's hard to justify using a gun in defense at any more than "bad breath" distance. Plus what happens if you miss, or the bullet goes through the bad guy and hits an innocent? What happens if another person with a firearm (police?) mistakes you for the bad guy because you're standing there with a gun in your hand? I would think twice about using a gun to defend someone other than my wife or myself due to recent situations where the good guy gets arrested for preventing the perp from carrying out his crime. It's also a pita to carry anyway. My smallest gun is a Ruger LCP Max which is about as small as it gets and its still not as comfortable as carrying nothing. There is a lot that can go wrong when you use use a gun and not much that can go right. For me, the odds against outweigh the odds for a carry gun. I'll keep my permits but I think I'll be carrying much less now. Anyone else disillusioned about carrying after years of fighting to get a permit?
    100% believe you shoud let them lapse and go about your business.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Same here.

It's tough putting them on right before the collision.

My two go-to grocery stores (in north Bethesda and Germantown) had violent incidents. These used to be not "dangerous places" until they were.

My area was "safe" until some drug buyers disagreed with some sellers, and over 40 rounds flew in both directions about 400 feet from my front door. That was the very first big-time violent incident few doors away. Are YOU prepared?
    Probably just as hard as chambering a round when you need it.......

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I figured I'd get a bit of grief for my thoughts about carrying. I'll not give up my permits though. I cherish my right to carry even though I'm not carrying much lately. It's not so much about being comfortable carrying. I belong to a private range and go at least once a week so I'm very familiar with my firearms. I guess the thing that started my thought process was the MGA's attempt to restrict areas where I can carry. That added to all the places I wouldn't carry anyway just made it seem like, why bother. Then, all the good guys getting arrested for defending themselves or others just piled on the doubts about carrying. I agree the chances of needing a gun are never zero but they are a hell of a lot less than the seat belt or fire extinguisher analogy.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I thought I would be nervous or self conscious. I can't believe how comfortable I am carrying. Seems like the most natural thing in the world.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    I figured I'd get a bit of grief for my thoughts about carrying. I'll not give up my permits though. I cherish my right to carry even though I'm not carrying much lately. It's not so much about being comfortable carrying. I belong to a private range and go at least once a week so I'm very familiar with my firearms. I guess the thing that started my thought process was the MGA's attempt to restrict areas where I can carry. That added to all the places I wouldn't carry anyway just made it seem like, why bother. Then, all the good guys getting arrested for defending themselves or others just piled on the doubts about carrying. I agree the chances of needing a gun are never zero but they are a hell of a lot less than the seat belt or fire extinguisher analogy.
    quick google statistics

“In 2015, there were 1.34 million fires reported in the United States. That meant a fire department responded to a call once every 23 seconds, on average. Almost half of these fires were classified as an outdoor fire.” https://ilt.safetynow.com/fire-extinguisher-stats-and-facts/

“In 2015, there were an estimated 1,197,704 violent crimes.”
    https://www.fbi.gov/news/press-releases/fbi-releases-2015-crime-statistics

1.34 million fires reported in 2015. 1.197 million violent crimes In the same year. Very similar odds between needing a fire extinguisher and a gun.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    My thoughts exactly, might need to add a 20lber to the truck. Why settle for the mini extinguisher in the door

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    If it was not for the fact that i was carrying since 2013 when things were a bit more of a privilege. ( that is how Md. still sees it) I kinda fought for mine and will continue to carry.
    I need to renew mine next year and will have trouble with my hands (surgery) i am not sure how i pull that off. I am not sure i will heal fast enough
    Qualify with a mark iv or anything 22lr. Easier on the wrists. hope you heal fast.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The odds of anyone needing a carry gun are very close to zero. I carry as much as I can, these days you never know when/where/if you'll need it. I'd rather have the decision be up to me and not leave it up to some scumbag whether I live or die.
    Honestly it sounds like you're have too many "what ifs" and aren't very comfortable with carrying, not everyone is. That's perfectly ok, better to admit that to yourself now than get into a bad situation.

The last part is my thoughts as well after reading the OP. It's better to admit you'd never use a gun, than carry it and allow yourself to be disarmed and it used against you.

My suggestion would be to explore non-lethals. Even in very anti-gun places like NYC, pepper spray is legal.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I won't voluntarily give up my rights.
    I've had a permit for a good while and I don't always exercise the right...but it's mine.
    I never cared much for AR's until it looked like our elected masters were going to forbid them. So I bought a few and built a few. It's my right.

I am a selfish ass. If I'm entitled to something, I want it.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I'm glad the OP wants to keep his permit. That keeps him in the system as a statistic of the number of people carrying, which is important. If it looks (on paper) like no one is carrying, politicians feel that they have a free hand to just wipe away our rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom