• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Dont know anything about this as far as first hand knowledge. All opinions welcome.

I would be trading a Mossberg 500 20 Gauge youth combe pkg for it.

Let me know if there is anything I should know.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is essentially a 500 action streatched to handle 3.5in shells.
    The 835 has an overbored bbl.among certain shotgun afficianados this is a highly desireable feature , believed to improve patterning , and reduce felt recoil. However it does preclude any pretense of accuraccy with slugs in the smoothbore bbl. At one time M'berg offered a slug bbl of conventional dimentions.
    Moss has presently also added the M535 , which is essentially an 835 , with conventional bbl dimentions. Unknown to me at this time if 535 bbls will fit 835 recievers.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I jumped on the 835 bandwagon from the start. The overbore barrels are unsafe with slugs but pattern wonderfully. Get a rifled slug barrel and you can hit most anything you could with a 45-70. Additionally the 835/935 accept mag extensions removing the 870's primary advantage IMO. Any stock that fits a 500 will work on an 835 so they are almost as pimpable as a 10-22.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Oh dont worry.. Lol, I have an 870, and just added an 835 to that. Thanks for all the input. My only "concern" is that the gun feels quite light. I cant imagine shooting 3.5 inch magnums through that. Lol how is the recoil with the magnum shells?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Oh dont worry.. Lol, I have an 870, and just added an 835 to that. Thanks for all the input. My only "concern" is that the gun feels quite light. I cant imagine shooting 3.5 inch magnums through that. Lol how is the recoil with the magnum shells?

You need to stock up on 2 1/4oz Turkey Magnum loads. They are the reason it exists. 3 1/2" heavishot loads are OK as well. RECOIL WTF are you doing with an 835 if you are not a recoil junkie? They handle light loads fine as well with the 3 1/2" option when you need it. You might need to get used to the longer stroke if you are not used to stroking a magnum. Like I said it is even more pimpable than a 500.

Scot

Jun 27, 2012
    Sykesville
    I have an older 835 and it only sees the light of day during Turkey Seasons. He'll yes, it kicks like a @$!/@&$ Mule! Super fun. Of you only feel the kick when patterning. When you have the bead on a turkey.....feels like a .22

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have an 835 waterfowl model in mossy oak shadow grass camo. Cool looking shotgun. It's ok for 3" mags but has trouble shucking some 3 1/2 shells no matter how hard I slam it back. My Remington 870 super mag shucks everything with ease. I own 2 870's and they function flawlessly!!! I only hunt with the 870. The 835 just sits in the safe.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Buddy of mine hunted 3 years with an 835 - it worked pretty well for him. He "traded up" for a Xtrema (I think?) last winter. He liked it, didnt give him too much trouble aside from freezing up in sub zero temps from time to time. Just about everyone's guns were freezing on those mornings though...

I really like the mossberg safety location for hunting. Have a 22" 535 pump myself that I use for turkey (the few times I can get out.....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom