• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Let us know how acetone does on the laminate and the plastic ammo boxes. Those made with polypropylene should be ok.

I've used acetone on both the laminate labels and every type of plastic ammo box that I own, and it doesn't melt either one when just wiping a damp cloth to erase markings.

Now, if you drip some on your digital scale, THAT might melt some :)

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    So ... I clicked on Snallygaster's image, hoping to see a larger version of an intriguing photo (Southern Pride, and all that), only to get ... well ... you'll see ... he should be shot with a cheap gun for doing that to me!

You don't like my avatar?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1435342216662.jpg
      FB_IMG_1435342216662.jpg
      23.3 KB · Views: 291

Maswell

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm just paranoid enough to not want a complete inventory including value stored on "public" servers.
    Especially if you title it "My Really Cool Gun Collection" or something like that :innocent0

Its not really public. Google TOS state that the documents belong to you; and obviously your doc is password protected. I do think you're right to not label it "my awesome assault weapons cache' though. :)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    You can learn the basics through tutorials on YouTube -- it's very simple.

Also if you don't have Office, Google has a similar free app -- just go to drive.google.com, login with your gmail address (or create a new one) and create a new Sheets file.

The bonus of this is that your spreadsheet is also permanently backed up in google's cloud.

Maybe it is easy but computers are not my thing. When I was in the mtg business I had a young coworker who used to be a data base mgr. He was trying to show me how do a couple of things on Excel and my head was spinning. Drag this, shrink/expand that, make these columns ad up and these multiply etc. My brain darn near exploded.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Maybe it is easy but computers are not my thing. When I was in the mtg business I had a young coworker who used to be a data base mgr. He was trying to show me how do a couple of things on Excel and my head was spinning. Drag this, shrink/expand that, make these columns ad up and these multiply etc. My brain darn near exploded.

Hey ... age has nothing to do with it. Attitude is everything. I'm closer to 70 than 65, and I'm relatively proficient with Excel. It's not that hard if you make up your mind that you need to learn to use the computer--rather than expect it to learn you.

Rregdab

Feb 25, 2013
    West Frederick County MD
    What do you put it in? Wrap in cheesecloth? Just dumping it in the safe or ammo can seems messy.

For ammo cans I make make packets with two coffee filters. Fold the edges and seal with tape. Scotch #600 has held up well to several drying sessions in the toaster oven.

Attachments

• Small.jpg
      Small.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 157

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    For ammo cans I make make packets with two coffee filters. Fold the edges and seal with tape. Scotch #600 has held up well to several drying sessions in the toaster oven.

That's brilliant! I never thought about it for ammo cans!

I use these for kitty litter in both the safe and the secure closet....you can make them as long as you want, depending on your dessication requirements.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    OK ... when's the IPA tasting?!

Every night, sir. My username isn't a mere affectation. Neither is my avatar....

Though, to be honest, i have been thinking of making a C&R beer...it'll have to be heavy, natch, with a lot of body...i have some shards off an sks and mosin stock that beg to be added to the wort...at least for a moment or two...

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Instead of using a jag or slotted tip on a cleaning rod I put a patch over a bore brush to get 100% contact with the bore and grooves.

I do the same thing. This works exceptionally well. Just remember that the thickness of a patch over a new bronze brush can be too large for your bore, so be careful when you start doing this. You don't want anything to get jammed inside the barrel.

On the same not, though, this is a great use for brushes that are starting to get worn or flattened out, and are a bit undersized. You can also wind the patch around the brush starting from a corner, so that it is thicker than normal, if the brush is small or pretty worn down. Or if you don't have the right size brush, you can make a smaller one work in a pinch by wrapping a large patch around it. There's even a technique to sort of planting the brush into the edge of the patch, then twirling it onto the brush.

This is an especially good approach if you get something in with a really crusty bore and are using some of the really heavy-duty cleaners on it to see if you can take it out of sewer pipe status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom